2017 GE 1

Kevin Carr's Gloves

22 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I don't disagree that that's what would happen. There'd be hell on is what I'm saying.

A Tory Brexit is going to fuck the country up anyway. 

Emigration is the only answer it seems.

Just now, Meenzer said:

And if he'd tried that from the start...?

No one was going for him on policy at the start. Everyone was rattling on about how unelectable he was, based on absolutely fuck all.

Just now, Rayvin said:

No one was going for him on policy at the start. Everyone was rattling on about how unelectable he was, based on absolutely fuck all.

Basically. He was well known within Labour circles as a figure of fun. They shit the bed when he got elected as their leader and tried a prolonged coup rather than actually discussing any policy direction

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Nah, it was based on the fact that he was unelectable.

13 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

His manifesto is proof of that though. Renewing trident etc. goes against everything he stands for 

:lol: he can't bring himself to say he'd ever use it, so it's hardly a compromise. 

name one other area where he's been pragmatic. 

i like a lot of what jezza says, but it's his pigheadedness as much as anything which is going to lose him this election

Just now, ewerk said:

Nah, it was based on the fact that he was unelectable.

:lol:

Hence winning two leadership elections and fighting off the media, the PLP and the Tories to make a decent showing of this campaign. Or are we saying that he has suddenly 'become' electable in the past month? Impressive transformation if so.

He has become more electable compared to Theresa May but then again that isn't a high bar. And your leadership elections are voted in by crazy left loons, they mean nothing in relation to the general electorate.

@Rayvin

let's not get carried away. he has performed well compared to the shambolic may, but don't rule out a tory landslide just yet. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

1 minute ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Tories are confident of taking Boro apparently. At some point, people are just beyond help

boro south is one of the seats we visited for our election road trip. amazing to hear people there say they couldn't bring themselves to vote for corbyn

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

He has become more electable compared to Theresa May but then again that isn't a high bar. And your leadership elections are voted in by crazy left loons, they mean nothing in relation to the general electorate.

You and I both know that the policies poll well across the electorate, and that the only reason this doesn't manifest in actual elections is because of media spin about non-issues. I can't help that and refuse to water down my views based on what some fucknut at the Mail may or may not say about it.

There's a rationality gap in voting, and it's sad. But the answer isn't to compromise.

Just now, Rayvin said:

You and I both know that the policies poll well across the electorate, and that the only reason this doesn't manifest in actual elections is because of media spin about non-issues. I can't help that and refuse to water down my views based on what some fucknut at the Mail may or may not say about it.

There's a rationality gap in voting, and it's sad. But the answer isn't to compromise.

And all that makes him unelectable. It took a while but we're both on the same page now. You're just a slow reader. ;)

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

@Rayvin

let's not get carried away. he has performed well compared to the shambolic may, but don't rule out a tory landslide just yet. 

As I said earlier, I think it'll be between a hung parliament and a 60 seat majority, since that seems to be what the polls are saying. I am under no illusions about the fact that he won't win, and never have been.

That said, he's performed far, far better than I expected him to.

Just now, ewerk said:

And all that makes him unelectable. It took a while but we're both on the same page now. You're just a slow reader. ;)

:lol: I don't think he's unelectable based on any logical or rational measure. He's only unelectable based on a media hysteria measure. That said, I still think he's done well in the face of it.

Just now, Meenzer said:

So he's unelectable.

:boogie:

I see, so you think the only reason anyone is ever elected to anything is entirely to do with the person themselves, with no mitigating circumstances surrounding the event whatsoever.

Brown - unelectable.

Miliband - unelectable.

Churchill - unelectable.

To hell with details :lol:

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

:lol: I don't think he's unelectable based on any logical or rational measure. He's only unelectable based on a media hysteria measure. That said, I still think he's done well in the face of it.

of course it's entirely the media's fault he's unelectable. i should have known :lol:

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

boro south is one of the seats we visited for our election road trip. amazing to hear people there say they couldn't bring themselves to vote for corbyn

Unfortunately for my home town there are a lot of people who are simply not interested or informed in politics at all. The town has been on the decline since Thatcher and it seems as if nothing changes there regardless of who is in power.

All the young lefts like me and my mates moved out as soon as possible, leaving the town to (generalising) under educated young people and our parents who fall directly into two categories, people who made hay prior to thatcher and are happy to keep hold of it and the long term low wage/unemployed.

Both of my parents were labour members, both left a good while ago, my mother voted remain and my dad voted brexit. I wouldn't be surprised if they both vote Cons this time, I have no idea why but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the cons win boro.

there is a great piece by Vice on the political apathy in Middlesbrough.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

of course it's entirely the media's fault he's unelectable. i should have known :lol:

Them and the PLP. I've noticed with interest the Guardian's u-turn over Corbyn in recent weeks.

Although I want to set out that Corbyn's views won't appeal to everyone if not filtered through the media. The 1% for instance.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I see, so you think the only reason anyone is ever elected to anything is entirely to do with the person themselves, with no mitigating circumstances surrounding the event whatsoever.

Brown - unelectable.

Miliband - unelectable.

Churchill - unelectable.

To hell with details :lol:

I think it's a myth (now) that Labour stood a better chance with a soft Left Blairite type candidate. I was raging to Corby to step down a few weeks ago but I hadn't even started my proper analysis. Once I got the runes out it all changed.

Edited by Park Life

Just now, Rayvin said:

Them and the PLP. I've noticed with interest the Guardian's u-turn over Corbyn in recent weeks.

Blair attacking him did him a massive favour.