2017 GE 1

Kevin Carr's Gloves

Just returned from delivering some buns to my mate who is a presiding officer at a polling booth today. He's had about half a dozen in so far with the same query: "'ERE MUSH WHERS THA  FACKIN UKIP GEEZER EES NOT ON THE SHEET!!" :lol: 

Having initiially focused on his campaign and escalated it for the ratings, the US media was in lock step opposition to Trump.  Even Fox struggled with backing him.

The media can have some impact, as can the Russians and the FBI.  But it's the candidates and their policies that ultimately decide elections.  Corbyn isn't against free movement and May is.  Regardless of how badly may has failed to curb immigration she can say she's for a reduction and Corbyn can't.

Yup, his refusal to budge on issues like immigration, nuclear weapons, defence and security, the Ira etc etc is as much to blame as the attacks he's getting from the mail and the sun. Their narratives are nothing new by the way. 

If if he has attempted to speak to this core traditional labour voter group, they would have lapped up the rest of the stuff on his manifesto. The right wing tabloid press are always going to go after the labour leader but give yourself a fighting chance  y at least trying to reach out Labour's broad church. Corbyn is his own worst enemy tbh

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

Yup, his refusal to budge on issues like immigration, nuclear weapons, defence and security, the Ira etc etc is as much to blame as the attacks he's getting from the mail and the sun. Their narratives are nothing new by the way. 

If if he has attempted to speak to this core traditional labour voter group, they would have lapped up the rest of the stuff on his manifesto. The right wing tabloid press are always going to go after the labour leader but give yourself a fighting chance  y at least trying to reach out Labour's broad church. Corbyn is his own worst enemy tbh

Get the feeling it's going to feel like a huge opportunity missed like. Especially when you look at the car crash campaign of May and co

I mean, for fuck sake, why not just say you condem the ira or that you'd take out the leader of Isis if you had the chance, or press the nuclear button in a retaliatiory strike? 

In office by all means by a pacifist but vast swathes of labour voters will turn away from him because he's weak on defence and security. His lack of appetite to compromise any of his long held views is what has done for him as much as anything.

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Get the feeling it's going to feel like a huge opportunity missed like. Especially when you look at the car crash campaign of May and co

5 more years of this shit man. 

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

It is. It's going to be the worst possible outcome for the country and most it's populace. Not only will the vile May get her mandate, she's shown herself to be utterly incompetent as well. EU will have a field day.

Just hope Corbyn and his entire front bench resign tomorrow. 

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

It is. It's going to be the worst possible outcome for the country and most it's populace. Not only will the vile May get her mandate, she's shown herself to be utterly incompetent as well. EU will have a field day.

Just hope Corbyn and his entire front bench resign tomorrow. 

Who do you want to come in and take over?

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I mean, for fuck sake, why not just say you condem the ira or that you'd take out the leader of Isis if you had the chance, or press the nuclear button in a retaliatiory strike? 

In office by all means by a pacifist but vast swathes of labour voters will turn away from him because he's weak on defence and security. His lack of appetite to compromise any of his long held views is what has done for him as much as anything.

Not sure it has mind...

Look at where he was in the polls before all that shit came up, and before he started getting out and making himself seen. He's won people back to him -despite- the views he has. If anything, I'd say it's his history that has underpinned his inability to capitalise to the full extent he could have, rather than his statements on issues like that.

There's a lot of writing JC off going on bearing in mind the dramatic difference in polls and more importantly uniqueness of this election. (Big difference between parties).

I don't accept that working class people would let weakness on Trident etc overshadow the many net gains of the manisfesto.

Still think a hung parliament is very likely.

Only caution would be how many people are actually engaged in politics to know what's on offer. I was just thinking yesterday this is the first election where I haven't seen a party political broadcast, but then realised that everything I watch is usually Kodi or catch up TV.

7 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Politics is a very, very strange world. Incompetence, lies and corruption get you to the very top. Competence, honesty, humility and compassion leave you languishing in the wilderness.

You ever worked in an office?

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Not sure it has mind...

Look at where he was in the polls before all that shit came up, and before he started getting out and making himself seen. He's won people back to him -despite- the views he has. If anything, I'd say it's his history that has underpinned his inability to capitalise to the full extent he could have, rather than his statements on issues like that.

Traditional labour voters in post industrial areas voted Brexit because of immigration. 

The same people want a leader who is strong (or at least appears to be strong) on defence and security.

corbyn refused to play the game on either issue.

if he had, I'm convinced they would have bought into the other stuff on his manifesto. When on the doorstep with politicians, I lost count of how many voters told me they liked his tax and spend plans but had concerns over these issues. 

Sure, the likes of the mail and the sun are always going to go after him but Jesus wept man, doea he want to run the country or not (I suspect the latter)

Edited by Dr Gloom

Just now, Christmas Tree said:

There's a few decent women. I like that Sarah from Rotherham. Not Yvette though.

I thought they stopped doing page 3?

3 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Politics is a very, very strange world. Incompetence, lies and corruption get you to the very top. Competence, honesty, humility and compassion leave you languishing in the wilderness.

Corbyn lacks competence hugely though. The other qualities are moot because he can be dishonest with the best of them. Witness the Virgin rail fiasco. 

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

There's a lot of writing JC off going on bearing in mind the dramatic difference in polls and more importantly uniqueness of this election. (Big difference between parties).

I don't accept that working class people would let weakness on Trident etc overshadow the many net gains of the manisfesto.

Still think a hung parliament is very likely.

Only caution would be how many people are actually engaged in politics to know what's on offer. I was just thinking yesterday this is the first election where I haven't seen a party political broadcast, but then realised that everything I watch is usually Kodi or catch up TV.

Everything seems to be pointing to the youth vote. The Guardian seems to think that if there's a turnout in excess of 66%, Labour will actually win the thing. Lower than 62% and they're fucked.

Historically, it's been at 44%. So yeah, it's not looking likely. Although that said, the longest queues for polling booths are coming from universities...

Just now, Renton said:

Corbyn lacks competence hugely though. The other qualities are moot because he can be dishonest with the best of them. Witness the Virgin rail fiasco. 

Think that was a bit of ill advised spin. Not really comparable to some of May's shit

1 minute ago, Renton said:

:lol: