Shearer or Beardsley?

Dr Gloom

Who was the greatest?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed a fair bit of Shearer's NUFC career so maybe that doesn't help, they were both far different players as has already been said. Getting back to fish, I'd say Beardsley came far closer to helping us win a title than Shearer as when we went so close Beardsley was an experienced player in the side and Shearer was playing in Lancashire. ;)

He perfected a slide tackle from behind where he'd come away with the ball after picking the pocket of the other player.

That's a relief, I thought you were going to post that photo from Euro '88

Wow very surprised to see shearer in front. Is everyone voting old enough to have seen them both play properly?

beardsley not in the "support striker" class ?? He was the messi of his generation - seriously, WHO was better than beardsley?

Beardsley was unbelievably good ,  a complete footballer.

End of.

Wow very surprised to see shearer in front. Is everyone voting old enough to have seen them both play properly?

beardsley not in the "support striker" class ?? He was the messi of his generation - seriously, WHO was better than beardsley?

Beardsley was unbelievably good ,  a complete footballer.

End of.

You can't be being serious

The Liverpool side of 1988 would've been one of the favourites for the European cup had they not been banned, great side, some brilliant players of whom Beardsley was a magician for them. He was a British record signing when he went there but the ban hampered his European football. Obviously not a messi but he was such a talented player who his strike partners loved playing with.

I used to say this about Maradona and it applies to Messi too - I've never seen either of them do anything I haven't seen Beardsley do and I've seen Beardsley do things I've never seen them do.

Three things stopped Beardsley being rated as highly as he should be: the lack of 90 mins coverage of every game, the European ban and the bloke himself lacking the ruthless ambition the real top players need.

He was right to show the ambition to leave us but he should have built on that - though as I said the ban was a large factor in that.

It's also worth mentioning for those a bit young to remember that in the 80s the scouse cunts were the biggest team in Europe and the biggest in the UK by miles and as HMHM said, them paying a record fee showed his standing in the game at that time.

I used to say this about Maradona and it applies to Messi too - I've never seen either of them do anything I haven't seen Beardsley do and I've seen Beardsley do things I've never seen them do.

Three things stopped Beardsley being rated as highly as he should be: the lack of 90 mins coverage of every game, the European ban and the bloke himself lacking the ruthless ambition the real top players need.

He was right to show the ambition to leave us but he should have built on that - though as I said the ban was a large factor in that.

It's also worth mentioning for those a bit young to remember that in the 80s the scouse cunts were the biggest team in Europe and the biggest in the UK by miles and as HMHM said, them paying a record fee showed his standing in the game at that time.

That's a good post with pertinent points. He obviously, ;) didn't reach the heights of the likes of Maradona but he was absolutely world class at his peak.

Obviously his standing within the game and achievements aren't as great but ability wise I think he's up there.

Pleasure given in a Newcastle shirt affects the view of course.

I wouldn't have him as a true world great along the lines of maradonna, Ronaldo, and zidane. Shearer neither. Although if shearer had not had that injury, and maybe if he had chosen a better team in the long term, then maybe.