President Biden

Happy Face

Article from Der Spiegel saying the US have detailed info that the invasion will happen on Wednesday. 
https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/krise-in-osteuropa-cia-rechnet-mit-russischem-angriff-kommende-woche-a-2e10a45f-b6eb-4b1a-b692-2edc64c04adf

What do we in the NATO and the west do if this happens? 

Economic sanctions will do fuck all, imho, so are we going to send troops to help our Ukrainian allies or what? 

Edit; 16/02/2022 we took the Ukraine good and proper, you heard it here first, etc.  

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Article from Der Spiegel saying the US have detailed info that the invasion will happen on Wednesday. 
https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/krise-in-osteuropa-cia-rechnet-mit-russischem-angriff-kommende-woche-a-2e10a45f-b6eb-4b1a-b692-2edc64c04adf

What do we in the NATO and the west do if this happens? 

Economic sanctions will do fuck all, imho, so are we going to send troops to help our Ukrainian allies or what? 

It doesn't look to me like we're going to respond at all. Sanctions maybe but if we were going to actually get involved you'd think we'd be talking it up. I still think it's very dangerous to let him take over the Ukraine but seemingly Biden disagrees.

2 hours ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

In the long term it could work out for NATO. Russia involved in a guerilla war in foreign territory. Lots of body bags going home for no real gain. Could it bring about an end to Putin?

Here's hoping, I guess.

2 hours ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

In the long term it could work out for NATO. Russia involved in a guerilla war in foreign territory. Lots of body bags going home for no real gain. Could it bring about an end to Putin?

Won't bring and end to Putin, but the perfect outcome for the US, Not on their doorstep but they can make a fortune supplying(selling) arms to the "rebels" for the forseeable future

It's a win win

So the war mongering US has apparently decided not to defend Ukraine through combat due to the risk of escalation. I'm really, really struggling to see how anyone can consider the US to be the bad guys in this. Either they've made some manner of play that has spectacularly backfired or they're simply not behaving in the way we are meant to think they will. There is clearly zero appetite for a serious war on the US' side. Ukraine didn't join NATO. Putin is invading because he can, not because he needs to.

And Ukraine will fall once again under the control of a country that committed genocidal acts against them in the past.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

So the war mongering US has apparently decided not to defend Ukraine through combat due to the risk of escalation. I'm really, really struggling to see how anyone can consider the US to be the bad guys in this. Either they've made some manner of play that has spectacularly backfired or they're simply not behaving in the way we are meant to think they will. There is clearly zero appetite for a serious war on the US' side. Ukraine didn't join NATO. Putin is invading because he can, not because he needs to.

And Ukraine will fall once again under the control of a country that committed genocidal acts against them in the past.

Or it's a bluff by Putin for political reasons. I can't see any scenario Russia gains anything through invasion but it has a lot to lose. We'll soon see I guess. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Renton said:

Or it's a bluff by Putin for political reasons. I can't see any scenario Russia gains anything through invasion but it has a lot to lose. We'll soon see I guess. 

What does it stand to lose?

I assume they've priced in sanctions to their calculations to invade so I don't see those as a major deterrent.

I'll add to this that Russian state media is claiming the Ukraine government is about to start massacring Russians living there, so it feels like the board has been set.

Apparently Crimea is short of water and the Ukrainians won't open a canal or something. Add that to Putins desire to recreate the Russian/USSR "empire" & his own man being deposed as Ukrainian president in 2014 then I think there is more than enough justification in Putins own mind for invasion...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

What does it stand to lose?

I assume they've priced in sanctions to their calculations to invade so I don't see those as a major deterrent.

I'll add to this that Russian state media is claiming the Ukraine government is about to start massacring Russians living there, so it feels like the board has been set.

Sanctions will hurt although I fear they will continue looking eastwards in that regard which is another concern. Worth remembering Russia is an economic minnow btw. But thousands of Russians in body bags? They were defeated in Afghanistan, just like we have been. 

Have you got a link to the massacre propaganda? 

This all sounds cool. 

Goldsmith will still be able to use his title, use House of Lords facilities and take up to 5 guests into Parliament & use House of Lords stationery

But will stop voting/ speaking in Chamber, and will not have to declare his outside interests

38 minutes ago, Renton said:

Sanctions will hurt although I fear they will continue looking eastwards in that regard which is another concern. Worth remembering Russia is an economic minnow btw. But thousands of Russians in body bags? They were defeated in Afghanistan, just like we have been. 

Have you got a link to the massacre propaganda? 

No but it's a continuation of the Donbass stuff that to be fair Putin has been saying since December (and which may be true for all I know). I'm getting some information out of r/Russia so it's really only random people stating what they're hearing (in Russian). I suppose I can't verify it though - obviously the guardian reported that the US believed such actions and supporting videos were imminent a few days ago but I guess that could just be propaganda too.

Putin wins on two fronts today, if troop withdrawals are to be believed

The border conflict continues without interference, with Russia using proxy forces to encroach in the east

Ukraine’s membership of NATO will be on hold for the foreseeable future.

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Putin wins on two fronts today, if troop withdrawals are to be believed

The border conflict continues without interference, with Russia using proxy forces to encroach in the east

Ukraine’s membership of NATO will be on hold for the foreseeable future.

Biden and Johnson will obviously hail it as "a victory for Nato diplomacy" .... Vlad is toying with the planet.. 

The problem is he has a huge conventional military force and an even bigger nuclear one. Russia is otherwise insignificant. I'm not sure what else the West could have done under the circumstances although I am of course aware of the propaganda on this side too. Difficult to know what to make of the current shit show. 

• Like 2