President Biden

Happy Face

Americans are just fucking stupid, a mass shooting occurs and someon considers taking away some guns and they are all over the threat to their stupid constitution. Trump decides he is going to bypass the judiciary and totally fuck over the checks and balances and they think that's great.

You could argue that the consistent view there is to resist the government. They want to keep their guns so that they can oppose tyranny in the US, should they need to. Trump attempting to overrule legislation and resist the establishment forces could be argued to be an extension of the same thing.

Please note, this is not my view :lol: But I think there's a consistent driving force there.

You could argue that the consistent view there is to resist the government. They want to keep their guns so that they can oppose tyranny in the US, should they need to. Trump attempting to overrule legislation and resist the establishment forces could be argued to be an extension of the same thing.

Please note, this is not my view :lol: But I think there's a consistent driving force there.

Always with the rider. :lol:

Americans are just fucking stupid, a mass shooting occurs and someon considers taking away some guns and they are all over the threat to their stupid constitution. Trump decides he is going to bypass the judiciary and totally fuck over the checks and balances and they think that's great.

Who thinks it's great? 

Amazingly he does seem to have the support of almost half of the US on this one. Well, on the ban anyway. Not sure about the legal bypass bit so can't help there. I find it incredible that he has popular support on the ban with despite the outcries we've seen about it over here.

http://nypost.com/2017/02/05/trump-has-support-of-nearly-half-of-america-online-polls-say/

Well that seems like more than enough evidence to make sweeping generalisations about a nation of over 300,000,000.

It's more than you've got to suggest he doesn't, at least as we stand :)

EDIT - plus it does reference several polls though, and seems to have come to a balance between varying opinion. Clearly there are SOME people out there who think he's doing the right thing :lol:

Edited by Rayvin

He doesn't need the support of the vocal, coastal liberals, just his power base in the red /swing states.

That seems to be it. It's actually remarkable how out of touch it seems that the two groups are with each other. I've never been to the US so haven't seen this divide first hand but given the expanse of territory they have there, I guess it's quite possible that their rural dwelling people are simply much more cut off from cities than ours are here. And maybe that makes a big difference.

large swathes between the coasts are pure hickville. 

i had a slightly terrifying experience in a hick town on a US road trip once. checked into a motel and the lad on reception advised us to stay in the hotel and if we did venture out, he suggested not saying anything in case the locals heard our accents - apparently they didn't take kindly to out-of-towners. stevie would have loved them.

That seems to be it. It's actually remarkable how out of touch it seems that the two groups are with each other. I've never been to the US so haven't seen this divide first hand but given the expanse of territory they have there, I guess it's quite possible that their rural dwelling people are simply much more cut off from cities than ours are here. And maybe that makes a big difference.

They are but the rust belt of Ohio etc is just as urban as some of the coastal states. As discussed before they've suffered from industrial decline in a similar way to the NE which is where Trump found such rich pickings due to years of neglect.

They are but the rust belt of Ohio etc is just as urban as some of the coastal states. As discussed before they've suffered from industrial decline in a similar way to the NE which is where Trump found such rich pickings due to years of neglect.

Fair point actually. I posted an article a few pages back which noted that local Democrats in such areas were dismayed that the Hillary campaign fought the election on identity politics rather than policies to support workers. So you had areas that had voted Democrat for years voting for Trump. Actually, that looks exactly like what we've seen here with the rise of UKIP, so I think you're dead right.

superb piece of video journalism  

That is superb. I still think we might be jumping the shark a bit with Trump being a dictator, but you can't argue that it's well put together. The thing is though, Plato hadn't seen enough of democratic evolution to know exactly where this all ends. Look at Sweden and other liberal democracies in Europe - they're not exactly in danger of heading the same way.

Moreover, I don't think it allows for corporatism. Capitalism is just as responsible for bringing us low as democracy itself (as much as I'd agree it is overrated).

Thanks for posting that though, I enjoyed it. Something to reflect on.

It's not industrial decline. It was a clear strategy of moving American jobs by the elite out to cheap labour and low tariff zones. Done mindfully and with quiet and insidious support of the Democrats and Republicans. From Clinton, Bush 2 right through to Obama.

African Americans were worse off after Obama than when he came into power. This is what Trump and his advisors get and have gone on about since day one.

MSM commentary lays it out like it is some quirk of fate. It isn't its big money taking advantage of crap trade deals to undercut American labour.

Edited by Park Life

:lol:

how so? it's a video op-ed for starters. 

For starters the Greek elite invented the demos to quieten down the usurpers NOT as some kind of gift to mankind. So they could get on with banging 12 yr olds and import wines from Venice. :lol:

They licensed traveling musicians and theater groups and edited and oversaw their work to fit in with the elite view.

Edited by Park Life

For starters the Greek elite invented the demos to quieten down the usurpers NOT as some kind of gift to mankind. So they could get on with banging 12 yr olds and import wines from Venice. :lol:

They licensed traveling musicians and theater groups and edited and oversaw their work to fit in with the elite view.

do you know what an op-ed is? 

• Andrew changed the title to President Biden