Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

On 23/03/2022 at 02:32, ohhh_yeah said:

I suppose the Italians can’t really name their ship after a WW2 leader :lol: 

Call the next one HMS Pepperoni or something.

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

HMS Calzone, given their history of folding. 

:whistling:

Much like the French surrender monkey thing, that’s similarly disingenuous tbh.

Guardian reporting that some Russian forces killed one of their commanders by running over him with a tank due to outrage about the extent of their losses...

Can we believe any of this? Russian military sounds mental.

I listen to the BBC Ukrainecast every day and I'm at the point now where I'm finding it a bit mental that we aren't doing anything about it. They regularly catch up with ordinary Ukrainian people who are still there/have fled /are in the process of fleeing, and when you hear the stories from Mariupol etc. I dunno it just seems mad that we can all just peer in at this shit and let it happen. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I listen to the BBC Ukrainecast every day and I'm at the point now where I'm finding it a bit mental that we aren't doing anything about it. They regularly catch up with ordinary Ukrainian people who are still there/have fled /are in the process of fleeing, and when you hear the stories from Mariupol etc. I dunno it just seems mad that we can all just peer in at this shit and let it happen. 

What would you like the west to do?

It's fucking horrible what Russia has and is doing to Ukraine, but it looks like Ukraine could well defeat Russia without our intervention anyway. Seems the Russian military isn't up to much. And it'd pretty much guaranteed now the long term future of Ukraine is to be drawn into the bosom of the west whilst Russia can continue it's decline. 

Here dicklips, never mind your "well what would you like us to do?!" patter. I'm just saying I find it very difficult to be comfortable with the idea that being passive observers is the right play when kids are dying of dehydration, and people are drinking from puddles and reportedly eating stray dogs. I don't know what the answer is any more than you do. 

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 3

At this point we should see if Ukraine can shrug them off, but I'm still not comfortable with the idea truthfully.

I am also getting fucking sick of talking to fellow left wingers about this. Every new war crime is "well the US did it first, the US developed that, the US forced this to happen". Shut the fuck up you apologists. We all know fine fucking well that the US has committed war crimes, we all know that we need to be vigilant against such things happening in future. We knew that well before you toddled along and told us.

How about calling out the stuff that is literally happening right in front of us, if you actually do care about human life, you hypocrites!

Not a blanket statement fwiw, just finding the discourse very tedious now in some circles.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Absolutely. Too late now but NATO could have put up a no fly zone before Russia invaded 

I find it utterly shameful that we ( the West) have done nothing to help Ukraine. 

We know Putin won’t back down, we know he’ll probably go for Georgia, at the very least, if left unchecked as he is now. 

Thoughts and prayers do fuck all. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Absolutely. Too late now but NATO could have put up a no fly zone before Russia invaded 

Before Russia invaded and it's unacceptable Western aggression. Do it after and it’s an effective declaration of war.

There was no correct response to the West for this but we’ve done okay. The damage was done years ago.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Before Russia invaded and it's unacceptable Western aggression. Do it after and it’s an effective declaration of war.

There was no correct response to the West for this but we’ve done okay. The damage was done years ago.

Yeah, we did fuck all when he annexed Crimea - that was the test case. 

I doubt Putin would have invaded if NATO had put a no fly zone in place. Countless Ukrainian (and Russian) lIves would have been saved.