Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

Sounds like Patel is get a hoofing in her absence in the commons (she was too scared to go). Tory back benchers are beginning to turn on this corrupt government, whether they will have the guts to pull the rug is another thing (we already know they don't). 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Renton said:

Sounds like Patel is get a hoofing in her absence in the commons (she was too scared to go). Tory back benchers are beginning to turn on this corrupt government, whether they will have the guts to pull the rug is another thing (we already know they don't). 

I seriously doubt they will ever have a bigger open goal than what they did in the last month or two. The war has been pretty fucking convenient in terms of the Tories burying the partygate stuff.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

Zelensky addressing the commons now via video link.

They could've done with a better interpreter. Either that or Zelensky is an absolutely shite public speaker. :lol:

We'll see how sustainable this is in a "modern"* country of 180 million in 2022 I guess. I don't think it can be.

* Modern in terms of technology and integration into global networks. The truth cannot be completely masked and kids who know how to use VPNs will be wanting to know why Maccy Ds has really closed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

I assume the lad who actually did have experience was admitted. 

It's fair enough anyway.

I just can’t imagine the thought process that thinks going there is a good idea… unless you’re Ukrainian I guess… (and even then….)

1 hour ago, Renton said:

We'll see how sustainable this is in a "modern"* country of 180 million in 2022 I guess. I don't think it can be.

* Modern in terms of technology and integration into global networks. The truth cannot be completely masked and kids who know how to use VPNs will be wanting to know why Maccy Ds has really closed. 

Coca-Cola have pulled out too. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

My worry, well one of many, is that sanctions that make the populace poorer usually make autocrats/dictators stronger. It makes it easier to portray the West as the enemy.

The only end I can see to this is Putin winning, or being able to claim a win, or an escalation which would seem to lead to nuclear war.

Callous aa it sounds, Ukraine being overrun quickly and a puppet regine being installed would have lead to the least death, and the earliest "peace"

At the minute with the West rushing to arm Ukraine it looks like at best its going to be a long drawn out struggle with untold thousands dead

The only people benefitting from this war at the moment are the arms manufacturers and the oil/gas producers. Same as it ever was

7 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

My worry, well one of many, is that sanctions that make the populace poorer usually make autocrats/dictators stronger. It makes it easier to portray the West as the enemy.

The only end I can see to this is Putin winning, or being able to claim a win, or an escalation which would seem to lead to nuclear war.

Callous aa it sounds, Ukraine being overrun quickly and a puppet regine being installed would have lead to the least death, and the earliest "peace"

At the minute with the West rushing to arm Ukraine it looks like at best its going to be a long drawn out struggle with untold thousands dead

The only people benefitting from this war at the moment are the arms manufacturers and the oil/gas producers. Same as it ever was

Well, we can't stop the Russian propaganda but it's not like North Korea, they can't stop tech savvy people knowing the truth. I think Putin has already lost. Whatever the outcome of the war, and I actually think he will lose that anyway in any meaningful sense. What do you think he's going to win?

Ukraine is a tragedy, but its the people of the country who are standing up to this invasion, it's their choice. I salute them all and can only wonder if I would do the same for my country. I hope yes. Accepting a puppet regime would be a terrible outcome for them imo. This way they have a chance of freedom. I hope when this is over (putin is gone), the west can help rebuild their country and they can become fully integrated with the EU. That's worth fighting for.

Incidentally, I've just started watching Winter on Fire on Netflix about the roots of this conflict. I was completely ignorant as all this passed me by at the time. 

16 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

The purpose of the sanctions is to hit those around Putin. The effects on the general population are an unfortunate byproduct. 

The ideal ending is that Putin ends up with an ice pick in his head.

Speaking to my Russian mate it’s mainly “the older generation” that are for the “operation”. They’re fans of Putin because he saved them from the breadline, however this war will bring it back.

He’s my age and spent his life between Durham & Russia, now he lives in London. He basically said it’s bad for Russia, bad for Ukraine & bad for the world. Ultimately he doesn’t see the point in it, even if they won the war in 3 days and got their puppet government. What’s the point?

I don’t think it’s as cut & dry politically as what our media is telling us, however Russia doesn’t really have a media.