Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

So look, then we get back to why they've been so useless. I can't believe this is the true weight of Russian military capability, it simply isn't possible.

It isn’t just possible it’s the logical conclusion to years of corruption. Money meant for the armed forces has been stolen on a massive scale by those in charge. Putin allowed it as long as they helped him hold power and what tge hell no one is stupid enough to invade Russia right. The Ukraine was supposed to roll over very quickly, they weren’t supposed to be this well organised so it didn’t matter you were sending troops under paid with dodgy gear snd no fuel because it will only take 2-3 days maximum. Now it’s all starting to fall apart and like I said ages ago this will mean the end of Putin. Russia can put up with a lot of things but failure isn’t one of them.

• Like 4

I hope you’re right. It would be glorious to see him imprisoned for war crimes or failing that a bullet in his back would be lovely news 

10 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

It isn’t just possible it’s the logical conclusion to years of corruption. Money meant for the armed forces has been stolen on a massive scale by those in charge. Putin allowed it as long as they helped him hold power and what tge hell no one is stupid enough to invade Russia right. The Ukraine was supposed to roll over very quickly, they weren’t supposed to be this well organised so it didn’t matter you were sending troops under paid with dodgy gear snd no fuel because it will only take 2-3 days maximum. Now it’s all starting to fall apart and like I said ages ago this will mean the end of Putin. Russia can put up with a lot of things but failure isn’t one of them.

This, also their kit is incredibly unreliable due to the corruption.

AS an aside - I saw a discussion the other day on twitter between some US tank/armoured brigade blokes about how come in a LOT of the videos you see of the burnt out armoured personnel carriers, there was basically nothing left above the wheels. Someone said, that's the magnesium they use, reply was "inside in the fittings" response "no the armour shell" - cue lot's of shocked "you are fucking kidding me" comments and "welcome to 4000 degree invisible flames".

Their kit is definitely not the best.

Okay, I admit it, I'm currently scared of the situation and how it could escalate. Putin literally has the look of a mad man to me, I want to believe his generals would stop him doing something even more insane than he already has, but I'm not convinced. 1% chance of a single nuke being used is 1000 times too much risk. 

We seem to be on a constant narrative where each new thing is worse than the one before. Global crash 》austerity 》 Brexit 》Trump 》covid 》 Ukraine. Honestly doesn't fell like a good time to have young kids. Just hope there is an opportunity for Putin to have an escape strategy here. He deserves so much worse though  

Must admit, I’ve never been more co

Just now, Renton said:

Okay, I admit it, I'm currently scared of the situation and how it could escalate. Putin literally has the look of a mad man to me, I want to believe his generals would stop him doing something even more insane than he already has, but I'm not convinced. 1% chance of a single nuke being used is 1000 times too much risk. 

We seem to be on a constant narrative where each new thing is worse than the one before. Global crash 》austerity 》 Brexit 》Trump 》covid 》 Ukraine. Honestly doesn't fell like a good time to have young kids. Just hope there is an opportunity for Putin to have an escape strategy here. He deserves so much worse though  

I was just writing a very similar post when I saw that you had posted something. 

I feel pretty similar today however percentage of nukes being used feels a lot lot more than 1%.

He does need an escape route or taken out pretty quickly.

Surely there’s no point in mutual destruction? Plus if NATO stays out of it and lets the situation play out as well as it has done he won’t have any justification or desire for nukes. 

Its a pointless form of war, everyone loses. 

In addition if they were genuinely up to nuclear activity out of the ordinary the west would be aware of it. They’re very tightly monitored, from space!

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

I agree. Waking up in the night to check my phone that no nukes have been launched is not helping my sleep pattwrn

Edited by spongebob toonpants

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

you’re not alone. I’ve been feeling physically sick with anxiety today 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

you’re not alone. I’ve been feeling physically sick with anxiety today 

It's tipped me over the edge actually. Got my Dad's funeral on Thursday, so much to organise and realised I literally can't usefully  function at my job any more at the moment. Work have been brilliant and given me compassionate leave for the rest of the week, but I worry I'm not exactly making a great impression less than one year in. It has motivated me to see the GP (again), me and probably thousands of others.

I also just hate the normalisation of lying in politics. Trump, Putin, Johnson, all lying cunts. I mean nobody really believed Putin when he claimed these were just exercises, but still the blatant lying is disgusting. There's no trust left in the world.

• Like 4

I can’t see his way out of this tbh- if he succeeds in installing a puppet government, he’ll be wrapped up in a civil war for god knows how long. 
If they get their arses kicked by Ukraine and pull out he’s finished. 

I can’t understand why he did it, unless he’s either totally lost the plot, or was deliberately misinformed about the likelihood of success as a way to get rid of him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Well, yes. I was focusing on the former Soviet states. Sweden as well are a risk if Finland are. 

I of course neglected to mention the nation of this fine fella ....

Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Finland was part of the Russian empire 

Western Intelligence says he behaving fairly normally and but is very angry about how shite his army have been.

He might have wanted to tell them about it first. I don’t think it’s a popular war at all and if Ukrainians are really “Russians” why would Russians want to shoot at them? 

A lot don’t, which is why you’re seeing a lot of them disavow Putin & take their uniform off.

I mean Stalin starved between 3-7 million Ukrainians. Pretty much through ideological pursuits regarding collectivisation of farming etc… we’re they Russian then? 

I thought Kiev was older than Russia anyway!? 

21 minutes ago, Tom said:

Surely there’s no point in mutual destruction? Plus if NATO stays out of it and lets the situation play out as well as it has done he won’t have any justification or desire for nukes. 

Its a pointless form of war, everyone loses. 

In addition if they were genuinely up to nuclear activity out of the ordinary the west would be aware of it. They’re very tightly monitored, from space!

Putin strikes me as a mental dictator who might use them if he feels he has nothing to lose. He doesn’t care about other people. I suspect Hitler would’ve used nuclear weapons once Berlin fell even if it meant mutual destruction 

• Like 2

Aye, as Alex said, if he's going down then he could be inclined to take everyone with him. If it came to it then I'm not convinced that his generals would obey his orders.

• Like 2

There's a very long chain of command between Putin saying fire a nuke and the person who pushes the button, it would be a first strike, and I am in the school of thought that someone in that chain of command would stop it. (as it was stopped in the cold war by a Colonel - he may even have been a captain).

• Like 2

Yeh you’d hope so. 

I reckon the USA & NATO will have had some missiles aimed at key Russian sites for a very long time. 

Nobody wants that. There’d be nothing left of anything.

Just now, Toonpack said:

There's a very long chain of command between Putin saying fire a nuke and the person who pushes the button, it would be a first strike, and I am in the school of thought that someone in that chain of command would stop it. (as it was stopped in the cold war by a Colonel - he may even have been a captain).

Given what appears to be the failure of communication throughout the Russian military, I don’t know whether to think that’s a good or bad thing in the above scenario. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Aye, as Alex said, if he's going down then he could be inclined to take everyone with him. If it came to it then I'm not convinced that his generals would obey his orders.

They won't unless everyone around him would have to be of the same "let's all crash and burn" view, (which I would bet, they don't) no-one would get out of it. He doesn't just push a button and it happens.

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yeh you’d hope so. 

I reckon the USA & NATO will have had some missiles aimed at key Russian sites for a very long time. 

Nobody wants that. There’d be nothing left of anything.

They will and they do have shitloads targeted, as will China, (and France and probably India) no-one trusts anyone.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

My mate Aaron is an expert on all things russia so if he deems this to be true I trust him. 

We’ve still got nukes to worry about like. 🙃

Be good if his nukes turn out to be party poppers. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

They won't unless everyone around him would have to be of the same "let's all crash and burn" view, (which I would bet, they don't) no-one would get out of it. He doesn't just push a button and it happens.

Hope you're right. Does Putin have kids or grandkids btw? 

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Hope you're right. Does Putin have kids or grandkids btw? 

No idea, but his generals, and all the guys between the order and the button push, will do.

I remember the cold war (for my sins) am totally chilled about the nuclear threat tbh. That said there's a big difference between tactical and strategic nuclear weapons. Even then can't see the order to fire a tactical nuke from a cannon/plane at Kyiv happening for same reasons.

23 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I can’t see his way out of this tbh- if he succeeds in installing a puppet government, he’ll be wrapped up in a civil war for god knows how long. 
If they get their arses kicked by Ukraine and pull out he’s finished. 

I can’t understand why he did it, unless he’s either totally lost the plot, or was deliberately misinformed about the likelihood of success as a way to get rid of him. 

Its possible Putin is just in it for the long run in Ukraine. Might not be going as bad as we are lead to believe, im vary wary of the propganda from all sides

Thought this was interesting

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/02/28/russia-ukraine-logistics-invasion/

• Like 2