Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

A lot of Ukraine's military is on the Eastern border though and Putin has just gone round it, much like Hitler did going through Benelux during the Blitzkrieg. If Kiev goes, then surely the head of government also goes? Is Zelenskyy still in the city? 

Apparently so- he needs to skedaddle. 

15 minutes ago, Renton said:

A lot of Ukraine's military is on the Eastern border though and Putin has just gone round it, much like Hitler did going through Benelux during the Blitzkrieg. If Kiev goes, then surely the head of government also goes? Is Zelenskyy still in the city? 

He said he will stay in the capital and as I said this before but unfortunately he is a martyr as some call it. He will be killed

1 hour ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Zelensky obviously isnt, they elected a TV star for goodness sake.

And its obviously bullshit from Putin to use it as an excuse but I mean some of the armed forces literally have Nazi symbols on their uniforms. They are  not exactly hiding it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azov_Battalion

300px-AZOV_logo.svg.png

All the Ukrainian far right wing parties formed a coalition for the election, they got 2% of the vote, not enough to gain even one seat in parliament. But aye Ukraine is nazi 🙄

• Like 1

Aye. The EU has been fucking useless on this. I can't believe I'm watching reports of Boris fucking Johnson trying to persuade Germany to do the right thing. Is that real? Is that spin from our side?

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Aye. The EU has been fucking useless on this. I can't believe I'm watching reports of Boris fucking Johnson trying to persuade Germany to do the right thing. Is that real? Is that spin from our side?

germany rely too much on the russians for energy.

then you haver the italians who don't want to stop exporting handbags

belgium wants to keep flogging diamonds etc etc 

putin has the fractured west over a barrel. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

9 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

No. The UK , USA and quite a few EU countries want Russia out of Swift but Germany, Hungary and one other don’t want to do it.

Apparently this would really hurt Russia.

From what I understand though, it would also hurt the three EU countries who are holding out so on one hand their reluctance is understandable.

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

No. The UK , USA and quite a few EU countries want Russia out of Swift but Germany, Hungary and one other don’t want to do it.

From what I understand though, it would also hurt the three EU countries who are holding out so on one hand their reluctance is understandable.

Ludicrous and weak response from those nations. Italy's stance (if true) is beyond words.

If Putin invades Germany would they 'understand' if we sat there deliberating over a fucking sanction.

This is the thing with the EU, every country has their own needs so blanket sanctions are hard to agree. On the other hand, without any co-ordination between the 27 countries I suspect things would be much worse.  

3 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

economic sanctions are a two way street: pain on both sides. we (europe/yanks) need to accept that and suck it up. it's the least we should be doing. they have to be booted out of swift. the issue there is it just accelerates russia forming an alternative payments system with china. 

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Ludicrous and weak response from those nations. Italy's stance (if true) is beyond words.

If Putin invades Germany would they 'understand' if we sat there deliberating over a fucking sanction.

I suspect this is a bit rich for a country world famous for catering to Russian oligarchs mind. The tory party aren't even returning or denouncing their Kremlin donations. You could argue a ban on Italian hand bags exports actually won't hurt Putin at all (unless MF's photo is true) but will hurt the Italian economy. What's the point in that? The real problem of course is energy dependence, which is a position Europe should not have allowed to develop to this extent. Caught with our pants down. 

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

economic sanctions are a two way street: pain on both sides. we (europe/yanks) need to accept that and suck it up. it's the least we should be doing. they have to be booted out of swift. the issue there is it just accelerates russia forming an alternative payments system with china. 

I agree. Some self harm is much better than war. 

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Not surprised about Italy's stance. Mario Draghi is the former Head of the ECB, so his money before lives attitude is standard. I would imagine there's a good chunk of the Italian people disgusted by it. 

Naturally yes, I'd go so far as to say most of them. We need much better leaders than we actually have, seemingly right across the board.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

I suspect this is a bit rich for a country world famous for catering to Russian oligarchs mind. The tory party aren't even returning or denouncing their Kremlin donations. You could argue a ban on Italian hand bags exports actually won't hurt Putin at all (unless MF's photo is true) but will hurt the Italian economy. What's the point in that? The real problem of course is energy dependence, which is a position Europe should not have allowed to develop to this extent. Caught with our pants down. 

Agree with this, but its also wheat. I think Russia produces 25% of the worlds wheat.

Also whilst it is tempting just to go straight to obliterating Putin the sad truth is you have to try and leave some diplomatic avenues or you are pretty much guaranteed  MAD.

• Like 1