NUFC v Huddersfield - 13 August @ 3pm

Happy Face

Predict The Score  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Norwich, Brighton and Sheffield Wednesday have a better squad for promotion in my opinion

Reckon they've got a better balance to their first teams, but we've better depth. It's just currently unbalanced. 2-3 more signings and we're in much, much better shape imo.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is this depth you keep banging on about?

We're still playing Dummett, Anita on the wing and were struggling in the middle and up front. Surely Rafa is picking what he thinks is the best 11.

It's not as though we have a whole host of options waiting to come in.

Sure Mitro might come in and do okay, he might just as easily continue to miss the target and/or get wound up very easy in a division where refs seem to let more tackles fly in.

I'm by no way writing is off until the window closes but as we are today we are going to struggle to make the play offs never mind automatic promotion.

I still think we'll be going up. This league is dross, just as it was last time we were in it, and just as most of the premier league increasingly is. The squad doesn't have the quality of 2009 but we've got a better manager and still a a fair few players who should start stamping their authority on things. I think this season will be the making of Shelvey and Mitrovic, plus hopefully one or two others. Couple of narrow, annoying losses to start with but I've got confidence that under Rafa we'll get on a roll and be able to pick up the 25 or so winds out of the next 44 that will see us around about the top of the league at the end of the season. Could do without a third straight loss though, obviously!

Where is this depth you keep banging on about?

We're still playing Dummett, Anita on the wing and were struggling in the middle and up front. Surely Rafa is picking what he thinks is the best 11.

It's not as though we have a whole host of options waiting to come in.

Sure Mitro might come in and do okay, he might just as easily continue to miss the target and/or get wound up very easy in a division where refs seem to let more tackles fly in.

I'm by no way writing is off until the window closes but as we are today we are going to struggle to make the play offs never mind automatic promotion.

GK - Krul, Elliott, Sels, Darlow

RB - Janmaat, Gamez, Mbabu, Sterry, Anita*

CB - Mbemba, Lascelles, Hanley, Clark, Dummett, Hayden*

LB - Dummett*, Gamez*, Clark, Haidara, Colback*, Mbabu

DM - Hayden, Tiote, Anita, Colback, Saivet, Clark*

CM - Diame, Shelvey, Anita, Colback, 

RW - Ritchie, Aarons, Gouffran, Perez*, Janmaat*

AM - Diame, Perez, Ritchie*

LW - Aarons, Ritchie, Gouffran*, Perez*

CF - Mitrovic, Gayle, Armstrong, Perez, 

That's depth, and when a couple of positions are strengthened (either by returning players or new additions) and it clicks, it's strength in depth.

Also, if you're this pessimistic, why the fuck have you predicted Newcastle to win by 4+ goals in each of the three rounds of games? :lol:

Edited by The Fish

That's depth, and when a couple of positions are strengthened (either by returning players or new additions) and it clicks, it's strength in depth.

Also, if you're this pessimistic, why the fuck have you predicted Newcastle to win by 4+ goals in each of the three rounds of games? :lol:

Sorry Dave. I'd guessed by your sudden splurge this morning you are back from holiday or just starting. I imagined you settled in the garden under a patio umbrella, frozen grapes slowly melting in the sunshine and laptop on your knee.

I felt you were ready for a good old ding dong and needed me now more than ever.

I'm literally too depressed about us (Newcastle, not me and you), to argue and your list has only added to my depression.

Sorry Dave. I'd guessed by your sudden splurge this morning you are back from holiday or just starting. I imagined you settled in the garden under a patio umbrella, frozen grapes slowly melting in the sunshine and laptop on your knee.

I felt you were ready for a good old ding dong and needed me now more than ever.

I'm literally too depressed about us (Newcastle, not me and you), to argue and your list has only added to my depression.

:lol: 

You've predicted Newcastle to score 4+ in each game, and yet your pessimism contradicts those predictions entirely. You're being Contrary Tree again and it's boooooooring. "too depressed about Newcastle to argue" Get a grip, you Mumsnet Mimsy.

Does Riviere not even exist in your eyes?

Saivet needs to be one along with Tiote, Sissoko and SDJ who is forgotten about. I can't see any of them being here come the 1st September. He has to be one of the worst signings in our history.

That squad must be better than nearly all the others in this division. We are just a little bit lacking in balance, particularly when we're without Mitro and missing a wide man. Clearly they are the two positions that need addressing urgently.

SDJ :lol: :lol: I honestly completely forget that fucking bloke, what a shambles he is man. Been out with a collapsed lung twice :lol:, they should just make him do chores around training so at least we get something for all the money spent on him. The sad part is he is a canny passer of the ball and would probably fill the need we have in central midfield which we currently have Jonjo walking about in.

Saivet was an utter joke of a signing, we bought one of the only players we could have that didn't improve on a CM of Colback and Anita. I said at the time that I always worry about forwards that become defensive midfielders, no idea why the fuck we bought him as we'd already made that mistake with Alan Smith. I'm still confused how we even signed him as it was pretty unanimous that people thought he was probably shit, astounding that people get paid money to scout players yet we end up with ones that even the fans don't rate and ends up being shit.

What on earth is going on with Tiote? is he being a Sissoko or just unfit? He always seems to at least graft even though he clearly wants away which is more than can be said of Moussa however yet another defensive midfielder isn't really what we need right now even if he is probably the best one on the books.

Edited by Howay

Hey guys. Been a while since I've posted here but feel like I need to know what's going on - living too far away to see home games at the minute. 

From what I've heard, we're lacking:

1) A powerful striker who can take the game by the scruff of the neck. Yes, we have Mitro to come back, but surely we'll need backup for the games he's inevitably suspended or injured?

2) A winger to complement Ritchie on the other side. I'm a fan of Aarons - what happened to him on Saturday? Am I the only one thinking we should just chuck Sissoko in for the next couple of games and tell him he needs to impress to get his move?

3) A central midfield that takes control of games. Wondering what's going on here. Colback, Shelvey, Anita should easily be good enough for this level. Surely Hayden and Diame will come good given their performances last season? Would agree with others that Tiote is worth keeping and putting in as first choice when fit.

Other question I have is on Sels. What was he like v Huddersfield? Didn't impress me with the very few things he had to do v Fulham. Is he worthy of taking over from Darlow? And when do we expect Elliot or Krul to return?

A word also for Siem de Jong. Has always impressed me in the few minutes we've actually seen him. Albeit he hasn't done much, just has that silky passing that's quite rare for Newcastle over the past few years. Would like to see him get a chance this season.

Devils advocate - RE: Anita RM .        

Unless we're going to start playing 5 at the back we need Janmaat covered.

Personally, I'd be playing Janmaat on RM - he clearly likes it there.

Second guessing a champions league standard manager doesn't wash here. If he's playing 2 DM's it's because he feels he has to. We're already getting torn apart in defence and the attacking guys should be able to do enough themselves without having extra players bombing on with every forward move.

That said, the players need to stop being scared of fuckin everything - this team (since Mclaren) reminds me of England in the last world cup - everyones scared to have possession and just look to pass it off, in any direction, just to not have the responsibility.

​A season or so ago, someone was complaining that we've a team of water carriers - it's looking like an astute observation now like.

Hey guys. Been a while since I've posted here but feel like I need to know what's going on - living too far away to see home games at the minute. 

From what I've heard, we're lacking:

1) A powerful striker who can take the game by the scruff of the neck. Yes, we have Mitro to come back, but surely we'll need backup for the games he's inevitably suspended or injured?

I think that's the plan.

2) A winger to complement Ritchie on the other side. I'm a fan of Aarons - what happened to him on Saturday? Am I the only one thinking we should just chuck Sissoko in for the next couple of games and tell him he needs to impress to get his move?

Again I think that's the plan. Aarons was poor first half tbh. Just kept running into defenders. But when we only have one wide man who can attack it's easy for the defenders to double up on him. For me Sissoko would get a bad reception and would disrupt things even more. And given he put fuck all effort in before we were relegated, I can't see why anyone would think he would put any in now.

3) A central midfield that takes control of games. Wondering what's going on here. Colback, Shelvey, Anita should easily be good enough for this level. Surely Hayden and Diame will come good given their performances last season? Would agree with others that Tiote is worth keeping and putting in as first choice when fit.

The lack of balance is hurtingthe centre of the park as well for me. I'm not convinced Colback and particularly Anita are much cop even for this division but I think if used right Shelvey will be ok. I also like the look of Hayden and I think Diame will give us something else when he's moved further back.

Other question I have is on Sels. What was he like v Huddersfield? Didn't impress me with the very few things he had to do v Fulham. Is he worthy of taking over from Darlow? And when do we expect Elliot or Krul to return?

Hasn't impressed in either game yet. I thought he wasn't well positioned for the second goal (couldn't do anything for the first though). But Elliott and Darlow both had shakey starts and this blokes coming from a different country so I'm happy to give him more of a chance.

A word also for Siem de Jong. Has always impressed me in the few minutes we've actually seen him. Albeit he hasn't done much, just has that silky passing that's quite rare for Newcastle over the past few years. Would like to see him get a chance this season.

Don't think we'll see him play for us again.

Devils advocate - RE: Anita RM .        

Unless we're going to start playing 5 at the back we need Janmaat covered.

Personally, I'd be playing Janmaat on RM - he clearly likes it there.

Second guessing a champions league standard manager doesn't wash here. If he's playing 2 DM's it's because he feels he has to. We're already getting torn apart in defence and the attacking guys should be able to do enough themselves without having extra players bombing on with every forward move.

That said, the players need to stop being scared of fuckin everything - this team (since Mclaren) reminds me of England in the last world cup - everyones scared to have possession and just look to pass it off, in any direction, just to not have the responsibility.

​A season or so ago, someone was complaining that we've a team of water carriers - it's looking like an astute observation now like.

Ritchie is a right winger and has been our best player so far. I can't see anyone playing ahead of him providing he's fit.

I think there's a lack of confidence in the team. We've spent the last couple of seasons getting spanked and it's hurt them mentally. Rafa has mentioned a few times how when they make a mistake their heads go down. We shouldn't expect this to change overnight just because we're now in a lower division. We need to start winning games then I think we'll see a big change.

Ritchie is a right winger and has been our best player so far. I can't see anyone playing ahead of him providing he's fit.

I think there's a lack of confidence in the team. We've spent the last couple of seasons getting spanked and it's hurt them mentally. Rafa has mentioned a few times how when they make a mistake their heads go down. We shouldn't expect this to change overnight just because we're now in a lower division. We need to start winning games then I think we'll see a big change.

Aye, this is my view on things and you've got to think Benitez will fix it in a way that the likes of McClaren and Pardew couldn't. You could visibly see their heads drop after about 25 minutes on Saturday and we had most of the ball at that point.