Yes Gemmill...

catmag

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

Imagine the UK press reaction to another head of state paying £10m hush money to keep their nonce son out of bother. 

Said it before but....

784hki.jpg.033a6f9f500e9c814b4b7e5265967b83.jpg

Swap Tory government for royal family in this case but, aye, similar vibes.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Said it before but....

784hki.jpg.033a6f9f500e9c814b4b7e5265967b83.jpg

Swap Tory government for royal family in this case but, aye, similar vibes.

Trump’s handling of Covid was a good example. With that getting loads of coverage at the time, with a blind eye being turned to the utter fucking shambles ensuing at no. 10. With the BBC’s political editor being briefed directly by Dominic Cummings too

Edited by Alex
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Trump’s handling of Covid was a good example. With that getting loads of coverage at the time, with a blind eye being turned to the utter fucking shambles ensuing at no. 10. With the BBC’s political editor being briefed directly by Dominic Cummings too

The difference in reporting from the BBC very early on when it broke in Italy compared to when it got here was night and day. The reports coming from there was comparable to some apocalyptic film but changed drastically when it hit good ol' blighty. 

• Like 3

Very likely won’t mean a lot to many on here but the music journo Neil Kulkarni has died. He was also one of the main contributors to the Chart Music pod, much beloved of @spongebob toonpants and myself . He was from Coventry and wrote this when Terry Hall died. RIP Neil :rip:

https://thequietus.com/articles/32486-terry-hall-obituary-the-specials

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Very likely won’t mean a lot to many on here but the music journo Neil Kulkarni has died. He was also one of the main contributors to the Chart Music pod, much beloved of @spongebob toonpants and myself . He was from Coventry and wrote this when Terry Hall died. RIP Neil :rip:

https://thequietus.com/articles/32486-terry-hall-obituary-the-specials

Holy shit that's awful news

I've got to say this  Neil Kulkarni news has affected me much more than I thought it would. I've been driving a lot lately and listening to the chart music pod constantly, his take downs of Morrisey and Oasis amongst many highlights, but the fucker was also so funny

Anyway here's a glorious article about britpop by him

https://neilk.substack.com/p/please-please-just-fuck-off-with?r=4kh3&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I've got to say this  Neil Kulkarni news has affected me much more than I thought it would. I've been driving a lot lately and listening to the chart music pod constantly, his take downs of Morrisey and Oasis amongst many highlights, but the fucker was also so funny

Anyway here's a glorious article about britpop by him

https://neilk.substack.com/p/please-please-just-fuck-off-with?r=4kh3&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

I’ve started following his podcast but haven’t started it yet due to having almost waded through the huge Talking Sopranos one, with its hours long 90-odd episodes. 
That piece is superb though. I lived and fucking love(d) the 90s and it continues to boil my piss about the way it’s presented compared to what it was really like. Mainly because things like the Britpop stuff masks the actual good stuff from back then. But I don’t think I’ve quite seen my feelings on it articulated so brilliantly. Cheers for that. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

About 8. Although I’d only really disagree re: Screamadelica. I still think it’s class. Entroducing has its moments but he’s right about there being more interesting artists even on the same label at the time. I got Definitely Maybe when it came out. Like everyone reckons they did but actually didn’t. It really only took off on the back of its follow-up. It’s ok, I think Colombia is comfortably the best thing they’ve done, but it was like a homage to previous Manchester acts with a bit of pub rock hoyed in. By the time they really took off with What’s the Story….the were already like a parody of themselves. I still like The Stone Roses debut but Tony Wilson was right about The Happy Mondays being more interesting. I think Squire is a cool guitarist though. He’s right about The Score and The Miseducation… some great stuff and a lot of filler. And Killing Me Softly is a like for like cover. There was a fantastic jungle (DJ Hype?) mix of Ready or Not though. The Who are overrated full stop. Cream did a few good tracks and lots of shit and most of it is horribly dated. And Clapton got much worse later in his career and agree he’s a gargantuan cunt. Eminem had already peaked and I can barely listen to any of his stuff these days without cringing myself inside out. Cum on Everybody is my favourite one of his as it’s basically a catchy block party hip hop tune. I like The Beatles but that’s not their best either. Although A Day in the Life is great imo. And I have a mate who fucking loves Zappa. I appreciate his talent and some of his live shows are worth a watch, when he wasn’t taking himself too seriously. Amazing musician but nah, you’re alright. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I'm on 2, and I would still argue for Screamadelica.

I'll admit to being taken in by Oasis at the start, but in my defence I did see them early on. A friend of mine was on the same label so I used to get free tickets.

My most rock and roll anecdote was when I got a call from her one afternoo  saying she was drinking in the Ship in Wardour Street and I should head over.

When I turned up there was Noel and Liam Gallagher and Bobby Gillespie in the round. 

Didn't drive home that night

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I'll admit to being taken in by Oasis at the start, but in my defence I did see them early on. A friend of mine was on the same label so I used to get free tickets.

My most rock and roll anecdote was when I got a call from her one afternoo  saying she was drinking in the Ship in Wardour Street and I should head over.

When I turned up there was Noel and Liam Gallagher and Bobby Gillespie in the round. 

Kristin Cavallari Scoot GIF by E!

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Faaar more impressed with you meeting Sarah Cracknell if that was you? :naughty:

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I’ve started following his podcast but haven’t started it yet due to having almost waded through the huge Talking Sopranos one, with its hours long 90-odd episodes. 
That piece is superb though. I lived and fucking love(d) the 90s and it continues to boil my piss about the way it’s presented compared to what it was really like. Mainly because things like the Britpop stuff masks the actual good stuff from back then. But I don’t think I’ve quite seen my feelings on it articulated so brilliantly. Cheers for that. 

Hard to disagree on most of that. Britpop wasn't a musical movement. No way would I lump Suede as Britpop and they were supposed to be the founders of it. Pulp ditto, as he points out. Don't know how you could have a "Battle of the Bands" between Blur and Oasis when they are nothing like of each other and both shit, especially the latter imo. Why weren't the Stone Roses Brit Pop, why weren't Radiohead? Manics? It's a load of manufactured bollocks. 

That said, as you allude to, it doesn't stope the feeling the 90s had its own ziegiest and music was part of that, fondly remembered, the best days of my life, as is the case for most people (meaning their 20s). We also had Keegan and NUFC, the fall of Thatcher, genuine renewal in Newcastle, fall of Berlin wall (just before), optimism. 

Also that said, music journalists, like critics of films or food, sports writers, or anything else, fuck me off sometimes. Easy to snipe behind the pen but what the fuck have they actually done? Jo Wylie may have contributed zilch, but has this Neil Kurkani either? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

Hard to disagree on most of that. Britpop wasn't a musical movement. No way would I lump Suede as Britpop and they were supposed to be the founders of it. Pulp ditto, as he points out. Don't know how you could have a "Battle of the Bands" between Blur and Oasis when they are nothing like of each other and both shit, especially the latter imo. Why weren't the Stone Roses Brit Pop, why weren't Radiohead? Manics? It's a load of manufactured bollocks. 

That said, as you allude to, it doesn't stope the feeling the 90s had its own ziegiest and music was part of that, fondly remembered, the best days of my life, as is the case for most people (meaning their 20s). We also had Keegan and NUFC, the fall of Thatcher, genuine renewal in Newcastle, fall of Berlin wall (just before), optimism. 

Also that said, music journalists, like critics of films or food, sports writers, or anything else, fuck me off sometimes. Easy to snipe behind the pen but what the fuck have they actually done? Jo Wylie may have contributed zilch, but has this Neil Kurkani either? 

I can distinctly remember me and about 5 mates watching the tv when there was a piece on the news about Blur v Oadis and the race for number 1 (think Blur won with Country House?) and not one of us gave a shit. And we were all young lads at the time. Total manufactured bollocks, like you say. 

• Like 2

Tbf Kulkarni whether you agree with him or like him suffers from the same disadvantage as all critics … if you’re paid to come up with an opinion on something you absolutely will come up with something to say, and therein lies the problem for me. Some of it sounds forced, and it absolutely is all completely subjective. If you listen to the pod the hatred most of them (all bar the host Al are ex MM)  have for the NME journalists who in the 90s went straight from the NME to the BBC in some way or other is fuckin visceral and it undoubtedly drove some of NK’s content as the Britpop article illustrates. 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 2