Sports Direct Billboard v WBA

sammynb

Mitrovic had 2 shots today, both on target and 1 goal. Good man, hope he can grow into the role and we can keep creating chances like we did today.

His overall play was immense. Holding up the ball, providing flick on and some nice link up play with Gini and Sissoko. His movement in the box can improve but there's a very very useful player in their somewhere. Easy to forget he's quite young too and has already taken considerable flak.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We needed these 3 points today I felt after a great start, that towards the end last 10/15 minutes.We allowed them back in & at one point I looked like they might have drawn level. We must try and put in the same performance next week against Chelsea. We have no game for 18 days after that game due to the Man City game being postponed. All the teams around us will try & exploit this so it's important we get something next week. For today well done lads keep it up.

Thought Townsend played well, his sharpness will improve with games. Shelvey's distribution was top notch again.

It was in the first half especially. I just can't get away with how he carries himself though. Strolls about looking sulky as fuck. It's not really acceptable. I haven't seen him sprint once since he joined. It's okay spraying balls around but they aren't always going to come off, he's the absolute definition of a luxury player. He'd get exposed in a 4-4-2 imo. Hope he proves me wrong though

Yeah, Shelvey looks better when he's got someone like tiote mopping up next to him. Almost all our moves seemed to start through him. Is the Chinese window shut yet? I'd be happy to see Tiote in that form start all our games till the end of the season.

Townsend showed lots of promise today. Ran in to cul de sacs a few times but his first instinct is to always run at pace and try and beat his man, so he will lose the ball every now and again. Good to have a proper old school out and out winger again though. Encouraging home debut from him. He put a couple of really good balls in and showed a great turn of skill for his effort that hit the post.

Hard to pick a motm today with so many good performances (finishing aside). I think Tiote for me as when he plays like that, we look solid and it allows the others more freedom.

That said, they were dogshit.

It was aye and I agree Tiote is a fair shout.

The key thing for me is whenever the ball came back out the box after one of our attacks he was on it like a shot and regularly used his strength to keep off WBA players before moving the ball on to Shelvey/Townsend/Sissoko to start another attack, it really throttled any chance of WBA counter attacks and really helped us keep pressure on.

Edited by Howay

The most impressive part of Taylor's game tonight was his passing. I have to say as well that after an incredibly shakey start Aarons chimed in with some actual defending.

Aye Aarons was decent enough after a shaky start, it was only against that useless bugger Gardner (I think, I'm not all that interested in WBA's horrific players) but he still put in a good shift and even put in a brilliant cross that should have resulted in a goal.

Taylor was good which was class to see, his ability to consistently header balls coming at him at knee height, sometimes even while still standing up, is impressive.

Tiote played as well as he has done for years. If he stays til the end of the season and shows that attitude he could have a massive influence on our fate. About shelvey looking sulky, aye he does but I'd rather have that than Anita or colback scampering around looking busy while contributing absolutely nowt. I hope the crowd doesn't start getting on his back if he's not charging about the place - that's not his game and that's not why he was bought. Cabaye never tackled anyone apart from the odd sneaky little ankle breaker when he bottled a fifty, but no one seemed to mind that. Good game from Townsend, he gave us a bit of threat going forwards. I'm interested to see how fit doumbia is. We might need 5 more wins to stay up so we need to start scoring more

Another thing to add is how frustrating Sissoko is, he gets himself in some great positions with his marauding runs but his decision making and his finishing always lets him down. He doesn't perform on a consistent basis either. There's a top player there he's just lacking composure and continuity.

Another thing to add is how frustrating Sissoko is, he gets himself in some great positions with his marauding runs but his decision making and his finishing always lets him down. He doesn't perform on a consistent basis either. There's a top player there he's just lacking composure and continuity.

there isn't a top player there. Your 1st sentence tells you why. He's not some young kid Edited by Alex

Was that "constructive" editing on MOTD?

They showed the linesman raise his flag before Mason went over to him and then again after they'd made the decision but on the coverage I watched I didn't see him raise his flag before the conference.

I'm as superstitious as the next person but fuck don't lump that responsibility on me!

If the useless bunch of twats that are our squad play every game like that, they will get the points they need.

Handbrake off and play, none of this sitting back rubbish that McClaren sends them out with for away games and against better teams at home.

btw Alex is right, Sissoko has to go, he is not a young kid trying to find his way, he doesn't offer enough and McClaren needs to start Perez there instead.

Marauding runs are great if there is an end product but the amount of times he runs into a cul-de-sac or bottles a challenge and gives it away cheaply must be frustrating as fuck for his team-mates.

there isn't a top player there. Your 1st sentence tells you why. He's not some young kid

On his day he's class. But then he has more games than not like Everton away when he flounces about like a big girl. Frustrating player because I think it's more a question of attitude than ability with him. Though he clearly can't finish.