Holidays 2024

McFaul

The only time I flew with Virgin, it was back from San Francisco and they upgraded me DIRECTLY to first class (or upper class as the stupid arseholes call it). Fucking tremendous. Fully reclinable pod bed thing, onboard spa treatments, a sleep suit (which I did not wear :lol:) and a three course meal. Champagne handed out as you got to your seat. 

I've never traveled as well before or since. 

Virgin is pretty good airline to travel to the US with, in my experience. American airlines, on the other hand, is not. Cheap, yes. Cheerful? Not remotely 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

Virgin is pretty good airline to travel to the US with, in my experience. American airlines, on the other hand, is not. Cheap, yes. Cheerful? Not remotely 

I flew to Curaçao with American, and there was an internal connection in the US. Anyway there was something weird where the onward flight to Curaçao was with a different carrier or something, I can't remember exactly, but coming back that carrier was late and I missed my American Airlines onward connection. They basically just shrugged their shoulders and didn't want to know. I think they were talking about maybe they could get me on something the following day. 

I went to the United Airlines desk to explain the situation in desperation, and they just went we've got seats, you can fly with us and we'll deal with American Airlines. TRUE American heroes. 

Just now, Gemmill said:

I flew to Curaçao with American, and there was an internal connection in the US. Anyway there was something weird where the onward flight to Curaçao was with a different carrier or something, I can't remember exactly, but coming back that carrier was late and I missed my American Airlines onward connection. They basically just shrugged their shoulders and didn't want to know. I think they were talking about maybe they could get me on something the following day. 

I went to the United Airlines desk to explain the situation in desperation, and they just went we've got seats, you can fly with us and we'll deal with American Airlines. TRUE American heroes. 

Not only was the food atrocious - inedible even by airline food standards - the air hostesses were all battle-weary, grumpy and extremely unfriendly. I gave AA two chances and it was awful on both occasions. decided never to use them again. flew with delta once, because they were also cheap, before concluding that the airline business is the one which missed the memo about US service culture, perhaps because it's one of the few where you're not expected to tip for your service. the hostility you feel from the staff "serving" you is palpable. 

Off to Kalkan in Turkey next month. Will be on the lookout for the 'Genuine Fake' football shirt stores whilst there.

• Like 2

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

They're another. 2 fucking glass of wine allowance on a flight to Durham Raleigh NC. When I asked for a third I got that knowing look that they were going to have to look for the AA cards (and not the American Airlines ones). I mean in my case they have a point but still. Stupid yanks. 

58 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The only time I flew with Virgin, it was back from San Francisco and they upgraded me DIRECTLY to first class (or upper class as the stupid arseholes call it). Fucking tremendous. Fully reclinable pod bed thing, onboard spa treatments, a sleep suit (which I did not wear :lol:) and a three course meal. Champagne handed out as you got to your seat. 

I've never traveled as well before or since. 

That isn't first class you pleb, that's their version of business class.

It was still pretty good though when I was in it to Barbados.

23 minutes ago, Renton said:

They're another. 2 fucking glass of wine allowance on a flight to Durham Raleigh NC. When I asked for a third I got that knowing look that they were going to have to look for the AA cards (and not the American Airlines ones). I mean in my case they have a point but still. Stupid yanks. 

Americans are pretty pathetic when it comes to alcohol - and mental health for that matter. Every yank I meet seems to be in the twelve steps programme because they once drank a whole bottle of wine, or therapy.

The looks you get for sinking six pints in a couple of hours, like it isn't standard practice. 

Stop whining, pull your socks up, drink yourself into a coma and bury your emotions deep down ffs 

• Haha 5

I did have a mate out with 3 friends in a restaurant. Long, 3 course meal. Asked for a second bottle of wine and the server gave them a card with a link to AA. Think it was California. 

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 3

Also, particularly with famous people over there, they seem to have the slightest brush with recreational narcotics, end up in rehab, then spend the rest of their lives on prescription drugs 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Renton said:

I did have a mate out with 3 friends in a restaurant. Long, 3 course meal. Asked for a second bottle of wine and the server gave them a card with a link to AA. Think it was California. 

And yet: bars with huge parking lots.

Funny old bunch.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Americans love doing "SHOTS!"

GUYS SHALL WE DO SHOTS?! 

OMG BY THAT TIME WE WERE DOING SHOTS AND IT WAS CARNAGE! 

geeeeet fucked. 

I don't get the whole beer and chaser thing. Just drink a proper beer instead of the Bud Lite shit.

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Americans love doing "SHOTS!"

GUYS SHALL WE DO SHOTS?! 

OMG BY THAT TIME WE WERE DOING SHOTS AND IT WAS CARNAGE! 

geeeeet fucked. 

Also not looking forward to this at the resort. Hopefully they’re all in bed by half 7

38 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I don't get the whole beer and chaser thing. Just drink a proper beer instead of the Bud Lite shit.

Originally the beer was the ‘chaser’. To chase away / get rid of taste of the harsher spirit. Which makes sense given the name. Technically it’s still the case but most people take it to mean the whisk(e)y rather than the beer. Doesn’t really have to be beer and whisky. Sangrita and Tequila is really nice, if it’s nice Tequila 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

Not sure it's just yanks who seem to not be able to handle drinking. 

When I worked at the German bank me and my boss used to sit on the same desk as two risk managers for a while who were old school city drinkers and we used to go out of a Friday lunchtime for 2 or 3 pints - not exactly a skinful but anyway. 

We got called into the general manager's office and as a result of his Friday walk around the office he said our desk stank of beer and could we cut it out. When we mentioned we only had 2 or 3 he was absolutely shocked as he'd assumed we'd had one at the most. We just toned it down for a while with no further action. 

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, NJS said:

Not sure it's just yanks who seem to not be able to handle drinking. 

When I worked at the German bank me and my boss used to sit on the same desk as two risk managers for a while who were old school city drinkers and we used to go out of a Friday lunchtime for 2 or 3 pints - not exactly a skinful but anyway. 

We got called into the general manager's office and as a result of his Friday walk around the office he said our desk stank of beer and could we cut it out. When we mentioned we only had 2 or 3 he was absolutely shocked as he'd assumed we'd had one at the most. We just toned it down for a while with no further action. 

When my dad worked as a programmer at the civic centre he reckons it was normal for people to have about 4 or 5 pints / bottles of brown ale on a lunchtime about 3 times a week. More on a Friday. Mind, that would’ve been in the 70s 

Yeah the senior risk manager was a bit older than me and retired when he was 62 I think in about 2009.he was part of a group who used to go out virtually every day. Half of them had either died or lost limbs to cirrhosis by the time he retired. He was a reasonably fit bloke for his age but he turned up for a leaving do about six months after he'd retired and he'd lost about 3 or 4 stones and looked really good on it. Probably just stopped in time for the sake of his liver. 

Edited by NJS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

When my dad worked as a programmer at the civic centre he reckons it was normal for people to have about 4 or 5 pints / bottles of brown ale on a lunchtime about 3 times a week. More on a Friday. Mind, that would’ve been in the 70s 

The first lunchtime pint is necked instantly, to relieve the hangover of the previous day. The second and third pints are drank more leisurely, to be savoured. The fourth is necked at speed along with a chaser, so you can get back to the office on time and shuffle papers for the afternoon. 

I'm paraphrasing from memory from Irvine Welsh's "The Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs"  here. The first half of that book describes functional alcoholism brilliantly. Unfortunately the second half is a bit shit. But I always identify with his sections on alcoholism. 

So anyway, there was definitely more mackem tops than nufc tops on the plane back yesterday. Not many of either though tbf. 

Changing the subject. When I was away, I couldn't help thinking, who the fuck are all these rich cunts with yachts?

I mean, if you follow the coast of Spain alone from Gibraltar to the cote d'Azure, then down Italy, include the Ballearics, there must be literally thousands of yachts, and dozens of super yachts. You'd need to be a multimillionaire to afford to own or charter even a modest yacht on the western Med I'd think. Then consider all the other coastlines, lakes etc. Who the fuck are these people and where do they get their money from? I seriously don't understand it. 

No safety wink required. It's kind of what I mean. These are out of the range of even top grade professional jobs. So that leaves inherited wealth, celebrities, and CEO types. How many of those are there really in the world? 

This is a million quid yacht. You'd probably need to be worth 10 million to consider such an extravagance. And it's pretty puny really. 

Screenshot_20240904_164707_Google.jpg.19b5d115089ba09ccb9fc0de1c50ec85.jpg

Edited by Renton

There's an estimated 15,000 luxury yachts in the world. They're not that common, Southern Europe probably has one of the highest concentration of them for obvious reasons.

16 minutes ago, ewerk said:

There's an estimated 15,000 luxury yachts in the world. They're not that common, Southern Europe probably has one of the highest concentration of them for obvious reasons.

Whey you've obvs neva been doon the Royal Quays like. 

• Haha 2