Holidays 2024

McFaul

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Yes, what’s wrong with that? It is a fucking Spa town after all.

It’s not mushroom season for a couple of months, for starters. 

@Alex I’m back at Ambleside for a few days. Have you got any good restaurant/pub recommendations in the area? Something with decent veggie/vegan options. We’ve been to a few cool places already but somewhere we could stumble in without a reservation would be good - as well as somewhere with some higher end food (though we would probably avoid anything too stuffy where our noisy kids wouldn’t be appreciated) 

We’re just back from a week in Tuscany so we’ve had our full of pizza and pasta - I clocked a Japanese and a Thai in Ambleside town. Do you know if either of those are with bothering with?

32 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

@Alex I’m back at Ambleside for a few days. Have you got any good restaurant/pub recommendations in the area? Something with decent veggie/vegan options. We’ve been to a few cool places already but somewhere we could stumble in without a reservation would be good - as well as somewhere with some higher end food (though we would probably avoid anything too stuffy where our noisy kids wouldn’t be appreciated) 

We’re just back from a week in Tuscany so we’ve had our full of pizza and pasta - I clocked a Japanese and a Thai in Ambleside town. Do you know if either of those are with bothering with?

So there are a lot of options. But Zeferrelli’s and Fellini’s (both cinemas and veggie restaurants combined, ran by the same people) are more of a Mediterranean/Italian theme. But check out their menus as Fellini’s in particular changes / is seasonal. The two Thai restaurants I have been to in Ambleside are good and have good veggie options. Jintana and Doi Intanon. My disclaimer would be that although I’ve been to the lakes a fair bit in that time, I don’t think I’ve been to Ambleside for about 4 or 5 years. Having said that, while the cafes and restaurants chop and change a lot those are ‘Ambleside institutions’ that have been there for decades 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

If you are out for a drive, (8 miles) this place is lovely. Has Vegan and veggie options, eat inside or out and even has a little play area out the back for the kids. Middle of nowhere.

https://www.thebrownhorseinn.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/Dinner-menu-all-July.pdf

IMG_6182.thumb.jpeg.ca0a13f55290ac09d915fe1d04a242f4.jpegIMG_6183.thumb.jpeg.4939752fc381771706a687ac93ef23e3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alex said:

So there are a lot of options. But Zeferrelli’s and Fellini’s (both cinemas and veggie restaurants combined, ran by the same people) are more of a Mediterranean/Italian theme. But check out their menus as Fellini’s in particular changes / is seasonal. The two Thai restaurants I have been to in Ambleside are good and have good veggie options. Jintana and Doi Intanon. My disclaimer would be that although I’ve been to the lakes a fair bit in that time, I don’t think I’ve been to Ambleside for about 4 or 5 years. Having said that, while the cafes and restaurants chop and change a lot those are ‘Ambleside institutions’ that have been there for decades 

These all good.  Doi Intanon I went to a few week back, I've been there at least a dozen times now, always great.  The two veggie ones are great too.  Again, been there recently.

• Like 1

Ended up in the tap yard after a day at Brockhole doing go ape style stuff with the kids.  Pretty decent selection of pizzas and craft beer - ideal 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

Shit fact: brock hole is another name for a badger’s set. Brock being an old fashioned name for a badger

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Alex said:

Shit fact: brock hole is another name for a badger’s set. Brock being an old fashioned name for a badger

Tommy Brock is a badger antagonist from Peter Rabbit. Mr Todd is the fox (Scottish for fox). Suddenly the world makes sense and I can rest in peace. 

Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric

Oh will you just fuck off Mr Gadaffi? 

Spoils everything for me this cunt. 

vLWNlKC.gif.69b167f8a0a967876fabbde35a53ea3a.gif

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Renton said:

Tommy Brock is a badger antagonist from Peter Rabbit. Mr Todd is the fox (Scottish for fox). Suddenly the world makes sense and I can rest in peace. 

Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric

Oh will you just fuck off Mr Gadaffi? 

Spoils everything for me this cunt. 

vLWNlKC.gif.69b167f8a0a967876fabbde35a53ea3a.gif

Fox is Scottish for fox??

27 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Fox is Scottish for fox??

Call yourself Scottish? Did you not read the Gruffalo in Scots to your kids when they were bairns? 

"A moose took a dauner through the deep, mirk widd.

A tod saw the moose and the moose looked guid...."

It's the best version of the book imo. Think it's probably more doric than gaelic influenced. 

MDJJZz.gif.b8f5c4c507af285e265a304511661602.gif

• Haha 3

Just now, Renton said:

Call yourself Scottish? Did you not read the Gruffalo in Scots to your kids when they were bairns? 

"A moose took a dauner through the deep, mirk widd.

A tod saw the moose and the moose looked guid...."

It's the best version of the book imo. Think it's probably more doric than gaelic influenced. 

MDJJZz.gif.b8f5c4c507af285e265a304511661602.gif

I was just taking the piss

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Ended up in the tap yard Pretty decent selection of pizzas and craft beer - ideal 

9 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

We’re just back from a week in Tuscany so we’ve had our full of pizza and pasta 

CT’esque :lol: 

• Haha 8

Not sure if you're allowed to eat pizzas from Tuscany, bit of a grey area. Will need to check with the accountant @Gemmill. Be a while 'til we know though, it's past horlicks time. 

• Haha 2

On 11/08/2024 at 06:38, Christmas Tree said:

Anyone know what it’s like trying to get onto Holy island on a morning. Are the queues massive etc

By coincidence there was a huge traffic jam on the causeway today, with some cars nearly getting lost in the tide. Caused by the level crossing being fooked by farmer Giles. 

Screenshot_20240821_224838_Chrome.jpg.48babe83ea9def980e0834a010b2c255.jpg

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/huge-delays-holy-island-causeway-29785088

• Like 1

So holiday update. Not seen any football tops worn by adults of any persuasion. No gravy stained mag bag bastards or fans of massive lads to be seen. Some locals in mallorca,. Real, or Barca tops only, and some German teams. 

However, D2 has made friends with a lass and talked to her parents. They're from Seaham. Got chatting and they're off to watch the match tonight. In support of NUFC. 

FUCKING COUNTY DURHAM MAGS!!!!! 

Angry Chicago Fire GIF by One Chicago

• Haha 7

Mexico on Friday, boys. Strangely dreading the 10 hour plane tourney but the free drink will probably help. If I over indulge and end up trapped in a Mexican prison for life, it was good having a bit crack on with you all. Well, most of you 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Mexico on Friday, boys. Strangely dreading the 10 hour plane tourney but the free drink will probably help. If I over indulge and end up trapped in a Mexican prison for life, it was good having a bit crack on with you all. Well, most of you 

The Big House Jail GIF by ClawsTNT

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Who's the carrier? 

Just I flew to Cuba with Virgin once and less than 2 hours out of Gatwick, and only a "free" drink in, they shut the bar cos apparently a bunch of Scots weedgie cunts had drank the bar dry. On a fucking 747. They then all switched to duty frees getting more obnoxious every hour. Cunts. 

I'd have rather paid than faced a dry flight with pissed up Glasgie neds. Good luck. 

• Haha 3