Holidays 2024

McFaul

Back to Rome, MF, do the Colliuseum early in the morning, and then walk back through the Roman forum, which is basically the ruins of the empire. Ends at the Italian parliament. I'm not that into archeology but this is something else. Photo I took, fucking hell, 18 years ago now. :o

image.thumb.png.0db482610201c8afb0aa36eb9af2623c.png

• Like 3

Haven’t been to Rome, only the outskirts and have also flown over it. But I’m quite into history and architecture and lap up any documentaries etc about that sort of thing. The Pantheon must be one of the most incredible buildings ever constructed. When you think of the sophistication, strength of the structure and its age. The Coliseum  too and the stuff they think they may have actually been able to do. Including flooding (and subsequently draining in very little time) the whole fucking thing to reenact naval battles. Absolutely mind blowing. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If its architecture you want, some of you lads need to get yourself to the Glass Centre in Sunderland. 

Now I have been there 

25 minutes ago, Alex said:

Haven’t been to Rome, only the outskirts and have also flown over it. But I’m quite into history and architecture and lap up any documentaries etc about that sort of thing. The Pantheon must be one of the most incredible buildings ever constructed. When you think of the sophistication, strength of the structure and its age. The Coliseum  too and the stuff they think they may have actually been able to do. Including flooding (and subsequently draining in very little time) the whole fucking thing to reenact naval battles. Absolutely mind blowing. 

I said Parthenon didn't I? (Rhetorical question, I wondered, went back a page, checked and altered). :lol:

Mixing my Greek with Roman. For shame. 😔

4 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I said Parthenon didn't I? (Rhetorical question, I wondered, went back a page, checked and altered). :lol:

Mixing my Greek with Roman. For shame. 😔

I actually have been there and I would rate it above the National Glass Centre

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Alex said:

I actually have been there and I would rate it above the National Glass Centre

Windows weren't that flash though.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Alex said:

Haven’t been to Rome, only the outskirts and have also flown over it. But I’m quite into history and architecture and lap up any documentaries etc about that sort of thing. The Pantheon must be one of the most incredible buildings ever constructed. When you think of the sophistication, strength of the structure and its age. The Coliseum  too and the stuff they think they may have actually been able to do. Including flooding (and subsequently draining in very little time) the whole fucking thing to reenact naval battles. Absolutely mind blowing. 

That's the thing about Italy though, for the ancient architecture and a sense of the Roman culture you don't have to go to the ultra touristy places, there are coliseums and forums and temples all over the fucking place.  There's a coliseum in Verona that's amazing, Aosta near the Swiss border, Alba Fucens about an hour east of Rome,  I'd assume it's a similar story in Greece as well but I've never been.

• Like 1

Went to the Lakes this weekend and bagged a few Wainwrights.  Keswick was packed which isn't a surprise given the weather.  It cannot cope with the volume of traffic though.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Keswick is alright but it does have a lack of decent places to eat really.

The Round and Lake Road Brunch are both good. Also The Fellpack. 

Bar Es does massively overpriced and not very authentic tapas. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gemmill said:

The Round and Lake Road Brunch are both good. Also The Fellpack. 

Bar Es does massively overpriced and not very authentic tapas. 

We went to Fellpack for coffee as my Bro in law knows the owners.  It's nice in there.

Hope you get canny weather like we did.

4 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

We went to Fellpack for coffee as my Bro in law knows the owners.  It's nice in there.

Hope you get canny weather like we did.

The Round is owned by the same people. Basically a big pub that now just does burger and chips, but it does them well. 

And cheers, looking good so far, but I've learned never to trust a weather forecast in the lakes! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Went to the Lakes this weekend and bagged a few Wainwrights.  Keswick was packed which isn't a surprise given the weather.  It cannot cope with the volume of traffic though.

Yeah, when Keswick is busy it’s mental. Always good when a fair proportion of the motorists are really inconsiderate too. 

• Like 1

We went to the Fox Tap brewery.  An old bloke about 60 came in thinking he was off Sons of Anarchy.  Biker dude with a big leather jacket on with 'Fuck the police' on the back.  There was a few people with Bairns as it was 16:00 (shuts at 19:00 on a Saturday).  When they saw the jacket they said they wouldn't serve him :lol: Mad old cunt kicked off :lol: 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

That's the thing about Italy though, for the ancient architecture and a sense of the Roman culture you don't have to go to the ultra touristy places, there are coliseums and forums and temples all over the fucking place.  There's a coliseum in Verona that's amazing, Aosta near the Swiss border, Alba Fucens about an hour east of Rome,  I'd assume it's a similar story in Greece as well but I've never been.

Just being that bit older as a civilisation means there aren’t as many (or as well preserved) Greek sites in general. Although there are a lot. And while the Greeks got around, it was nothing like to the extent of the Romans.  So you obviously have sites all over Europe, what used to be called the Near East and North Africa in the case of the latter 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Keswick is alright but it does have a lack of decent places to eat really.

I mean maybe you are into Michelin star stuff but there's literally loads of places to eat in Keswick? The chip shop there (Keswickian) is top notch too. I'm going in a cople of weeks for 3 days and planning one meal in the hotel, one meal at the Chinese restaurant, and one in the Italian place. Hoping to get up Scafell pike also a route where you circumnavigate Derwent water. Up over Cats bells, then down into Lowther where there is a really nice pub iirc, and back to Keswick on the lake banks. 

• Like 1

Nah I am not a Michelen star person, don't like the pretentious shite.

The chippy is great tbf.  Would be better to to have more than one Italian.

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

Just being that bit older as a civilisation means there aren’t as many (or as well preserved) Greek sites in general. Although there are a lot. And while the Greeks got around, it was nothing like to the extent of the Romans.  So you obviously have sites all over Europe, what used to be called the Near East and North Africa in the case of the latter 

Croatia is apparently good for old Roman sites too. 

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Nah I am not a Michelen star person, don't like the pretentious shite.

The chippy is great tbf.  Would be better to to have more than one Italian.

Michelin star doesn't necessarily mean pretentious. Chez Bruce in London is amazing and not that pretentious at all. 

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Michelin star doesn't necessarily mean pretentious. Chez Bruce in London is amazing and not that pretentious at all. 

I might believe that a bit more were it coming from someone else but you. :whistling:

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

I might believe that a bit more were it coming from someone else but you. :whistling:

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Croatia is apparently good for old Roman sites too. 

So is the lakes 

• Like 1