Holidays 2024

McFaul

6 hours ago, Alex said:

Just on my way back from Sorrento. A timely reminder of how much I love Italy and the bizarre near omnipresence of Tennent’s Super :lol: I had completely forgotten about the latter. I’ve googled it before and I’ve still never really found a proper explanation 

Anyway, ciao 

Lovely place Sorrento.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I was there last month and was a bit disappointed. Naively I didn't expect it to be quite so rammed with idiot tourists. I'd imagine twenty years ago it would have been a better experience.

Plus Neapolitan pizza sucks balls.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I was there last month and was a bit disappointed. Naively I didn't expect it to be quite so rammed with idiot tourists. I'd imagine twenty years ago it would have been a better experience.

Mr ewerk to Mrs ewerk:

image.png.69069f5f963e676f595ed0295e0c354d.png

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The best time to be alive for travel would have been the 50s and 60s. Fit air stewardesses, no mass tourism. 

The only problem for you would be that Domino's hotdog stuffed crust wouldn't exist yet. 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The best time to be alive for travel would have been the 50s and 60s. Fit air stewardesses, no mass tourism. 

The only problem for you would be that Domino's hotdog stuffed crust wouldn't exist yet. 

Only if you were loaded in the 50s and 60s, which wouldn't have been many of us save Gloomy and champagne enema lad.

I did a lot of citry travel in the 00s, was noticeably less busy even then but very affordable. As my post to ewerk alludes to, the irony is as tourists your part of the problem. Only solution I can find is to travel off season and chance the weather. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Renton said:

I'm thinking about going to Sorrento next October. Never been but it looks amazing in photos etc, and hoping it will be less busy at this time. 

Might give the Tennents Supers a miss though. :lol:

They’ve had a lush Indian summer but it fucking pissed down the first day (to the extent the 1 hour ish transfer took 3 and a bit hours) then the second day was quite wet. Last two days were nice. But it’s basically been lush for weeks before and then is the same for the long term forecast. Typical :lol: October is generally quite a wet month though I think. But I suppose if you go for a week then there’s a good chance of decent weather sone of the time. We were just there the 3 nights as the grandparents were looking after the kids and dogs. We were in the hills above Sorrento and actually a bit closer to the Amalfi coast with views both of that and also the bay of Naples. We were full board too and the food was lush. You couldn’t walk to Sorrento really but there was a regular shuttle bus. We got the train to Pompeii and had a guided tour, which was excellent. I don’t think Sorrento is ever that quiet but I would say it’s relatively so at this time of year. Plus I don’t know how people can be arsed to sightsee with the sort of Mediterranean summers that seem to be the norm now. A couple of strolls around Sorrento and the Pompeii trip was all we did. But you’ve got Ischia, Capri, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples, Vesuvius plus the Amalfi coast with Ravello, Positano etc that are all pretty close to Sorrento. I think the Italians are, in the main, class and a good laugh too. They’re piss-takers too, which I like, often asking ‘You speak Italian?’ At my shite attempts  to ask for two coffees or whatever 

• Like 2

Also amusing to see their visible disgust at the daft tourists walking around in Milan and Juve tops, caps, etc. thinking they’re blending in 

Aye Pompeii was class but I think the guided tour was a mistake. Any tours I saw were only two hours long but could have spent much longer. My father in law was there last week and had done loads of research beforehand and saw so much more than me self guided in just over two hours.

Also I decided to save a few quid and hired a car rather than get an airport transfer which was a mistake. The driving there is mental and cunts everywhere on scooters weaving in and out of traffic.

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Aye Pompeii was class but I think the guided tour was a mistake. Any tours I saw were only two hours long but could have spent much longer. My father in law was there last week and had done loads of research beforehand and saw so much more than me self guided in just over two hours.

I suppose it’s a bit hit and miss depending on how good the guide is etc. Ours was two hours supposedly but lasted a bit longer. Personally I thought the local guide was excellent and you really would have needed to do loads of research or at least have a bought an audio guide to get anything like the insight we got from him and knowing where to go / what you were looking at. We did specifically pick a one that was a small group though (15 people max). You saw some massive groups which I think would be a bit naff as obviously some of the bits are inside / into small areas with limited space. I quite agree that you could have spent a much larger amount of time on a tour / there yourself, as it’s huge. Although we weren’t picked up at our hotel. Ours was one where we met our guide at the train station at Pompeii. Which meant we could look round the site at our leisure after our tour finished, so we had a stroll to the amphitheatre too. 

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

Also amusing to see their visible disgust at the daft tourists walking around in Milan and Juve tops, caps, etc. thinking they’re blending in 

Aye, stupid touists should have worn Sunderland tops, and they would be giving their first born daughters over to them. 

"Sei di Sunderland! Una grande squadra di calcio! Ti amo! Ti do mia figlia da contaminare. Odio anche le mags!"

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Also I decided to save a few quid and hired a car rather than get an airport transfer which was a mistake. The driving there is mental and cunts everywhere on scooters weaving in and out of traffic.

On the coach transfer to the airport coming home we were sat at the front. I  felt like I would have only been half surprised if Toad and Yoshi had gone past on go karts closely followed by Donkey Kong hoying bananas at them 

• Haha 4

Just now, RobinRobin said:

Frighteningly it's more than 30 years ago. 🙁 

Did Pompeii and Capri. Also a walk up Vesuvius. 🙂 

Are you  not getting Vesuvius mixed up with Mount Doom? 

• Haha 2