Holidays 2024

McFaul

1 hour ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

Other people may have been to Madeira and enjoyed it. I doubt it though.

In fairness, I got off to a bad start as my wife had booked us a surprise holiday for my birthday. She only told me the rough time of the flight and the airport. After some research, I had it in my head that we were going to Côte d’Azur as there was a flight to Nice at that time.

Imagine my surprise when I arrived at the check-in desk to find out that we were flying to Funchal and that all the other passengers looked like extras from Jason and the Argonauts.

I have been to the Côte d’Azur since and can confirm that it is a significant step up from Madeira.

:lol: I do fancy Marseille one of these days. Flights are cheap from London, it just depends on if I’m going to be bankrupted by the trains. And then if they bother to turn up 

34 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Popty Conwy Bakery

Popty = oven in West English

Of all the daft Welsh language words they’ve made up, Popty Ping for microwave is way out in front. :lol:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

We're staying in Betws-y-Coed.  What recommendations have you got?  We were gonna go to Llandudno or Caernarfon for the day.

Stopped in betws-y-coed  last year. Beautiful place. Waterfall 1/2 mile out the village is well worth a nosey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Superb! Looking forward to Llandudno and seeing some of the old architecture. I've seen the Great Orme in photos and on the Tour of Britain. Looks lovely. 

And a similar distance away from Betws-y-Coed but in the other direction, you could make a decent little day trip out of Porthmadog, Portmeirion (which is gloriously odd) and Harlech Castle.

CT is right though (it feels weird even writing those words), Betws itself and the immediate surrounding area are very nice in their own right. They must be, because my parents had their honeymoon there. Different times. :D

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ewerk said:

If you’re going in February then why not Northern Ireland? The cold and the constant rain will mean you’ll be much cheerier when you then get home. None of these post-Mexico blues.

Am coming. Here he is. My 3 x great grandfather :) 

IMG_5727.thumb.jpeg.81a8bcfadd3262f571a4b524d68f78ac.jpeg

Whats “Cloonboo Beg” like in February?… or are you cheeky leprechauns just taking the piss with that as a place name? 😆

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

Other people may have been to Madeira and enjoyed it. I doubt it though.

In fairness, I got off to a bad start as my wife had booked us a surprise holiday for my birthday. She only told me the rough time of the flight and the airport. After some research, I had it in my head that we were going to Côte d’Azur as there was a flight to Nice at that time.

Imagine my surprise when I arrived at the check-in desk to find out that we were flying to Funchal and that all the other passengers looked like extras from Jason and the Argonauts.

I have been to the Côte d’Azur since and can confirm that it is a significant step up from Madeira.

Funnily enough I was going to suggest cote dazure to young AH there. France is massively underrated imo, love it there. But they stopped the easyjet flight from NCL to Nice so it's not that accessible from here now. Bordeaux SW France the same. 

Haven't been for years myself but a colleague who does about 8 foreign jaunts a year goes to Bilbao loads. It's her favourite place despite all the locals hating Geordies. She's a massive foody. Flys from Edinburgh. 

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 1

I thought Marseille was a shit hole when we were there. Absolutely crawling with quite aggressive young beggars. We were booked in for two nights, but left after one and headed to Nice which was a million times better.

Andy Carroll has gone to Bordeaux (who play in the 4th tier now, after administration and a double relegation). Not sure if that qualifies as a recommendation. 

9 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Am coming. Here he is. My 3 x great grandfather :) 

IMG_5727.thumb.jpeg.81a8bcfadd3262f571a4b524d68f78ac.jpeg

Whats “Cloonboo Beg” like in February?… or are you cheeky leprechauns just taking the piss with that as a place name? 😆

I think you’ll find it was your lot who made up the place name when you stole our land and forced us to stop using our own language.

IMG_0804.jpeg

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

I thought Marseille was a shit hole when we were there. Absolutely crawling with quite aggressive young beggars. We were booked in for two nights, but left after one and headed to Nice which was a million times better.

Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 3