Holidays 2024

McFaul

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Anyone know what it’s like trying to get onto Holy island on a morning. Are the queues massive etc

Not when the tide is in.

• Haha 4

I've never had any issues getting on Lindisfarne like, although haven't been for a while. There's a large field car park. 

Best thing to do imo is time it so you get cut off by the tides. You'll be forced to stay 4 or 5 hours but check the pub times and/or bring a picnic. It'll be quieter when the island is cut off. 

When I was in my 30s suffering a real need to mentally recover from some trauma, I hired a cottage and stayed there for a week. Walking to the North side of the island at high tide in complete isolation was just the ticket for me. Fucking love the place, predictably house prices and availability are now insane so will never be able to live there. 

• Like 3

Just had a smashing couple of days showing a German friend around the region. Tynemouth/Cullercoats/Whitley Bay, up to Cresswell and Druridge Bay, a spot of Hadrian's Wall too. Obviously the weather has helped, but still. He says he has no idea why Northumberland isn't heaving with tourists at this time of year (I know it can get busy - we couldn't get parked at Blyth of all places :lol: - but it's barely a fraction of what Cornwall and co. get), and I tend to agree. Not complaining though!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Just had a smashing couple of days showing a German friend around the region. He says he has no idea why Northumberland isn't heaving with tourists at this time of year?

army GIF

"Don't tell him, Meenzer!"

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

army GIF

"Don't tell him, Meenzer!"

CCTV footage from the breakfast room at our B&B this morning:

e7cbEq.jpg

• Haha 6

On 11/08/2024 at 11:52, Renton said:

I've never had any issues getting on Lindisfarne like, although haven't been for a while. There's a large field car park. 

Best thing to do imo is time it so you get cut off by the tides. You'll be forced to stay 4 or 5 hours but check the pub times and/or bring a picnic. It'll be quieter when the island is cut off. 

When I was in my 30s suffering a real need to mentally recover from some trauma, I hired a cottage and stayed there for a week. Walking to the North side of the island at high tide in complete isolation was just the ticket for me. Fucking love the place, predictably house prices and availability are now insane so will never be able to live there. 

I was starting to think you were sound but if you need the thought of Lindisfarne and Mead to keep you halfway erect I'm resigned back to questioning my character judgement skills.

• Haha 2

You've just reminded me. I need to ring my energy provider and complain about the fact that the smart meters they installed don't work. 

The stupid thick cunt that I was telling you all had rang me twice the night before the visit btw. He managed to submit a final reading for my old metre of 111,053. The correct reading was 10,024. So I got charged £840 for 5 weeks of gas usage. 

I've sorted that bit, but my "smart" meters still don't report my fucking readings to anyone. 

I'm looking at the temperatures over there and the map of "places where the heat is at a level that it will kill people", and wondering if booking Kos in August next year might have been a terrible idea. 

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm looking at the temperatures over there and the map of "places where the heat is at a level that it will kill people", and wondering if booking Kos in August next year might have been a terrible idea. 

Definitely for you. 

@Gemmill Why on earth are you going during the school holidays? Pre -kids we often went to that part of the world (Rhodes, Santorini, Cyprus) in September. The weather was always lovely. The days are a bit shorter so even if it’s hot for that time of year it feels less severe. It’s still busy enough, tends to be cheaper etc. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

@Gemmill Why on earth are you going during the school holidays? Pre -kids we often went to that part of the world (Rhodes, Santorini, Cyprus) in September. The weather was always lovely. The days are a bit shorter so even if it’s hot for that time of year it feels less severe. It’s still busy enough, tends to be cheaper etc. 

Wife is a teacher unfortunately. Proper pain in the arse. 

We go to hotels where kids aren't allowed anyway, cos why listen to all the round the pool screaming if you don't have to, but it's still an arm and a leg. 

Just now, Gemmill said:

We go to hotels where kids aren't allowed anyway, cos why listen to all the round the pool screaming if you don't have to, but it's still an arm and a leg. 

Ah, forgot about your lass. Another reason for her to leave the profession ;) 

54 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think I've mentioned I've been going to Ayia Napa in October for the last 6 or 7 years and I find especially as you get older 25 degrees makes a much better holiday than the stupid says of 30/35 plus when I was young and daft (and in very early days limited to shipyard/pit fortnight). 

Last year I went very late (last week in October/first in November) and though generally good there were a couple of cloudy/showery days. This year I'm going at the start of October. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Should move near me mate*. The school terms are one week off so you can get reasonably priced holidays. 

* not too close though.