Holidays 2024

McFaul

10 hours ago, Alex said:

It was 38c today. Forecast tomorrow is for 42c. AH’s advice looking more sage by the minute 

Holidaying Brit chasing the sun in "surprised it's hot" shocker. 😎 

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Alternatively;

"Hoo, Sinbad! Two beers on horseback, please." :good:

And he’s paying:

IMG_8917.jpeg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Holidaying Brit chasing the sun in "surprised it's hot" shocker. 😎 

I’d never usually come in mid July to this part of the world but we’re constrained a bit with the kids’ school hols. 42c is fairly fucking hot by anyone’s standards though. Even for Hobbiton / Perth (although presumably not that exceptional for your neck of the woods?). What makes it funnier though is my distinctly Celtic complexion 

24 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’d never usually come in mid July to this part of the world but we’re constrained a bit with the kids’ school hols. 42c is fairly fucking hot by anyone’s standards though. Even for Hobbiton / Perth (although presumably not that exceptional for your neck of the woods?). What makes it funnier though is my distinctly Celtic complexion 

Emergency relief on its way. 😎 

sunscreen GIF by Team Coco

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Alex said:

42c is fairly fucking hot by anyone’s standards though. Even for Hobbiton

Doesn’t matter- he lives in a burrow. 

• Haha 1

Speaking of hot sweaty bastards, I pulled in to Thurrock an hour ago. 
Dashboard external temperature was showing 36°C. 

That’d explain me sweating like a bull in a tight Jersey earlier at Tilbury Docks. 

Thankfully the showers here are mint, had a tepid one to get clean, then an icy cold one to cool down. 

Down side- couldn’t get a North facing parking slot, so my cab is getting every fucking ounce of sunshine going. 

Air con on full blast, and two of these, one either side of my planet sized heed :lol:

IMG_3150.thumb.webp.65bf0acac87390aade9be4f6090bb81e.webp

IMG_3149.jpeg

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Thurrock :( That’s where I had the misfortune to sleep walk and had to go to reception in my boxers :lol: 

At the Travelodge? 

As traumatic as it would’ve been for the poor staff, I’m 100% sure they’ve seen worse. 

Place is a freak magnet. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Right then, we’re a month out from our holiday and the resort has announced they’re doing renovations on the pool, two restaurants, the buffet and the theatre in our section of the place. Basically meaning that the actual holiday we wanted, based in the quieter area of the resort, is fucked. They’ve told everyone today and the renovations start from tomorrow for three month. Surely this is cause for TUI to get us rebooked somewhere else as that’s a total pisstake. The thing we’ve paid for essentially isn’t going to be what we get, other than the hotel room we’ll get being on a construction site. Anyone had experience dealing with them for shit like this? I’m sure their cancellation and refund policy protects them for stuff like this but they want to be shifting me down the road to somewhere else, am I fuck going there for two weeks where a third of the place is shut down 

My sister had something like this happen and she rang up and just played war with them and absolutely refused to be told that she was still going to that hotel. 

They were adamant that it was just a "shit happens" situation, but she got their hotel changed in the end. 

14 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Right then, we’re a month out from our holiday and the resort has announced they’re doing renovations on the pool, two restaurants, the buffet and the theatre in our section of the place. Basically meaning that the actual holiday we wanted, based in the quieter area of the resort, is fucked. They’ve told everyone today and the renovations start from tomorrow for three month. Surely this is cause for TUI to get us rebooked somewhere else as that’s a total pisstake. The thing we’ve paid for essentially isn’t going to be what we get, other than the hotel room we’ll get being on a construction site. Anyone had experience dealing with them for shit like this? I’m sure their cancellation and refund policy protects them for stuff like this but they want to be shifting me down the road to somewhere else, am I fuck going there for two weeks where a third of the place is shut down 

This happened to me on my honeymoon in Mexico.

I’d read on Trip Advisor that the work was happening and contacted Virgin who denied it was going on. I went back to them several times and they maintained their story even though 1/3 of the resort would be closed.

Of course when I landed at the hotel I was completely right. I contacted the on site rep who never got back to me.

Ultimately it wasn’t a massive deal to us but after complaining on return and a lot of back and forth I got £2700 back on the price of the holiday.

24 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Oh great, here’s me hoping I wouldn’t have to argue with some poor lass fresh out of a Travel and Tourism BTEC course but here we are 

I shouldn't, but 😂😂

11 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

This happened to us in Tenerife last year, except it was was 4 days out from the start of the holiday in October half term. We were all Inc and the pool and bars were closed so they were offering us to use the facilities in a sister hotel 800m away. Jet2 said they couldn't do anything so I cancelled it, looked online and found a place with TUI last minute in Cape Verde. Probably turned out to be a better hol than the one we had initially booked. 

Brother in law is on holiday at the moment.

I dropped him a message this morning asking how it was going.  He replied with some pics of my nephews and saying it was decent 'but you know me, I had to complain' (He's not even my blood either :lol:  So I asked why.

'They put us in a room with a sea view but it was ground floor'

'Did you pay for sea view?'

'No but thats not the point'

'Could you see the sea?'

'Yeh'
'So why complain'

'Well its better higher up'

:lol: 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Chaser said:

This happened to us in Tenerife last year, except it was was 4 days out from the start of the holiday in October half term. We were all Inc and the pool and bars were closed so they were offering us to use the facilities in a sister hotel 800m away. Jet2 said they couldn't do anything so I cancelled it, looked online and found a place with TUI last minute in Cape Verde. Probably turned out to be a better hol than the one we had initially booked. 

I would cancel and rebook but not sure how much, if any, of my money I’d get back 

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Brother in law is on holiday at the moment.

I dropped him a message this morning asking how it was going.  He replied with some pics of my nephews and saying it was decent 'but you know me, I had to complain' (He's not even my blood either :lol:  So I asked why.

'They put us in a room with a sea view but it was ground floor'

'Did you pay for sea view?'

'No but thats not the point'

'Could you see the sea?'

'Yeh'
'So why complain'

'Well its better higher up'

:lol: 

Is he from Yorkshire? 

58 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I would cancel and rebook but not sure how much, if any, of my money I’d get back 

I think if you check ABTA, if your holiday is significantly altered then they can't deny you a full refund. 

• Like 1