Holidays 2024

McFaul

24 minutes ago, Renton said:

I know. Thing is, it's indicative of infrastructure here after 13 years of cut backs. Things are no longer maintained properly, no wonder we can't build the new infrastructure we desperately need. One day there will be a terrible tragedy. 

Edit: just for reference, Plessey viaduct also crosses Plessey woods, a park area just south of Morpeth. When I was a kid I use to love walking there, listening to the trains thunder overhead. Thankfully also this happened at night otherwise someone could have been killed by falling slabs. 

Despite massive fucking dividends for the fucking shareholders eh? 

I was walking the other day to Sainsburys.  It's on one of these commercial parks.  Fuck all hedges cut back so pedestrians are having to walk on roads to get there.  It's a fucking shit show.

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Having a short half term break. Was toss up between Keswick and Edinburgh but went for Edinburgh as the weather is a bit too iffy in the Lakes in October. Cancelled my Keswick hotel, booked my non-returnable train tickets to Edinburgh anf hotel. Very next click on my PC. Of course.

From my time inspecting these very structures, this will have been flagged by inspectors and duly ignored. 

( I’m assuming this was caused by the heavy rain washing out the parapet, not a strike of some kind. ) 

The state of some of the Victorian rail bridges, particularly those “out of sight” is terrifying tbh. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

From my time inspecting these very structures, this will have been flagged by inspectors and duly ignored. 

( I’m assuming this was caused by the heavy rain washing out the parapet, not a strike of some kind. ) 

The state of some of the Victorian rail bridges, particularly those “out of sight” is terrifying tbh. 

So it's your fault? 🙂 

• Haha 3

Also

(I don’t think it is, tbh. 
Looks like a capping stone from the parapet that’s probably being held up by roots and wishful thinking. )

edit; aye looking again it’s a capstone, with a railing rod holding it up.
Fuck me- the whole parapet has gone here like. 
That’s several tens of tons of stone and rubble just washed out. 

• Sad 1

I'm in Keswick at half term so that bridge collapsing under you would probably have left you in a better state than me kicking you up and down the length of Keswick main street.

If we're trying to focus on the positives.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

I'm in Keswick at half term so that bridge collapsing under you would probably have left you in a better state than me kicking you up and down the length of Keswick Main Street in my spotless walking boots and brand new waterproofs. 

Fyp 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm in Keswick at half term so that bridge collapsing under you would probably have left you in a better state than me kicking you up and down the length of Keswick Main Street in my spotless walking boots and brand new waterproofs, hiding in my hotel trying to get a signal on my mobile to watch football as my soon to be ex-wife gets increasingly pissed off. 

FMF'sP. 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Imagine not having kids but still having to go on holiday at half-term.

Unlucky.

Married to a tekka innit. On the plus side, I'll be staying in my mother's FABULOUS static caravan, so it's zero cost.

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Married to a tekka innit. On the plus side, I'll be staying in my mother's FABULOUS static caravan, so it's zero cost.

Ha ha ha. A static caravan wanker. Hope it doesn't float away with you in it when the Derwent next floods.

up yours smile GIF by NRK P3

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Statics are mint these days btw. All the mod cons. Better than the dorm room in a youth hostel that you unwashed ramblers go to.

Joking aside, I agree, my MiL had one in Berwick. Wrong location for me, but perfectly comfortable. Actually thinking about buying one in the lakes some day (would prefer bricks and mortar but doubt I will ever be able to afford that). 

52 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Also

(I don’t think it is, tbh. 
Looks like a capping stone from the parapet that’s probably being held up by roots and wishful thinking. )

edit; aye looking again it’s a capstone, with a railing rod holding it up.
Fuck me- the whole parapet has gone here like. 
That’s several tens of tons of stone and rubble just washed out. 

Deffo the parapet.  Blind cunt.  The arch would have collapsed already.

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Renton said:

Joking aside, I agree, my MiL had one in Berwick. Wrong location for me, but perfectly comfortable. Actually thinking about buying one in the lakes some day (would prefer bricks and mortar but doubt I will ever be able to afford that). 

I would definitely consider taking this one over from my mam when they decide they're too old for it.

The site rule is that you have the replace your caravan every 15 years so I'll fucking get landed with that expense, I'm sure. That plus however many thousand in site fees per year.

I would definitely consider taking this one over from my mam when they decide they're too old for it.

The site rule is that you have the replace your caravan every 15 years so I'll fucking get landed with that expense, I'm sure. That plus however many thousand in site fees per year.

You'll cover that with the pictures you sell you take at half term anyways

Just Sayin GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Yeah, I don't get this as surely a caravan can last longer than that? Anyway, I imagine you're talking 60 grand nowadays. Some sites let you sublet which I think I'd do. 

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Looks like someone else is looking to get LACED on the Keswick Market Webcam.

Just before Xmas, Gemmill and Wykiki square up by Keswick clock tower.

1563420336_oldmen.gif

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Statics are mint these days btw. All the mod cons. Better than the dorm room in a youth hostel that you unwashed ramblers go to.

It’s not too far to ramble back from the bingo at the clubhouse either. 
👍

• Haha 1

Listen, I like to spend my time between the lake, chucking the ball in for the dog to swim about, Lake Road Brunch (marvellous Shakshuka! Great pancake stacks!) and The Round (class burger place/pub) on the main street.

Oh and Booths for my fresh produce.

I have an upper limit on my walks of 1.5 hours.

And that, my friends, is how the upper crust holiday in Keswick!

• Haha 3
  • Jaysus... 1

Listen, I like to spend my time between the lake, chucking the ball in for the dog to swim about, Lake Road Brunch (marvellous Shakshuka! Great pancake stacks!) and The Round (class burger place/pub) on the main street.

Oh and Booths for my fresh produce.

I have an upper limit on my walks of 1.5 hours.

And that, my friends, is how the crusty middle-aged holiday in Keswick!

:whistling:

• Haha 4

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024