Holidays 2024

McFaul

That's called "inland". ;)

I'd concur with the two places mentioned. There's some lovely spots even on the touristy side of the island like Puerto del Mogan, but it basically shuts up shop by 10pm, so not quite what you're after. :)

12 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

That's called "inland". ;)

I'd concur with the two places mentioned. There's some lovely spots even on the touristy side of the island like Puerto del Mogan, but it basically shuts up shop by 10pm, so not quite what you're after. :)

Oh, I did a coach trip to do the authentic stuff. Went into a furnished cave and ate some mini baked potatoes iirc. 

:D Sounds about right. Tbf I've done the Tenerife mountain and the caverns and all the Manrique stuff in Lanzarote, but I'm only assuming GC has some kind of equivalent. The capital Las Palmas is big enough to actually be worth a look in its own right, at least. But probably not on a boozing and beaching kind of holiday.

Just back from a week in Mallorca. Post holiday blues exacerbated by yesterday's tragedy in London Bridge and news a close friend's sister is very sick with meningitis 

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from a weekend camping in Hampshire. First time I've kipped in a tent other than at festivals, where you barely spend any time sleeping, or even much time in the tent full stop. Mixed feelings about the whole experience. 

There was about 13 families away together which was good as it meant the kids all entertained themselves while the parents got pissed, but beyond being outside all day and sitting around the fire in the evening enjoying a bifta, I don't really understand the appeal. Give me a nice country house or hotel any day. Shortly after we'd gone to bed around 2am, the bastard birds woke me up, then the sun starts searing through the tent canvas, then the kids are all up waking each other up from 6am. I must have managed about 8 hours sleep over two nights. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

I remember when outward bound flights on holidays were something to look forward to - sipping g&ts, sneaking in a cheeky nap, maybe watch a movie, rather than the ordeal they become when you have two kids under the age of 6. It's purely about surviving the experience these days.

Greetings from Gran Canaria.....if you want to check in with a minimum of fuss and bother on your other half's birthday, then I'd completely avoid booking anything with alpha rooms...the utter shithouses of the first order hadn't sent our booking to the apartment complex so when we turned up there was no trace of our booking, despite me having the confirmation printed off for them and alpha rooms phoning me to remind me to forward flight details for the airport transfer one night a couple if weeks ago at about 10pm :glare: 

The Servatur staff have been brilliant though, got free tv, air con and wifi as consolation for something that wasn't their fault anyway, this after spending the weekend at a completely different complacent miles out of town. 

• 2 weeks later...

Meant to post something about my Denmark/Sweden long weekend a couple of weeks back. Two nights in Copenhagen, which is expensive but worth it, and two nights on the southernmost tip of Sweden, which I hadn't realised was quite so nice. Vast white beaches and plenty to see, not too expensive if you're self-catering either. Basically miles and miles of this punctuated by hillsides with random stone formations. A few too many Germans in massive mobile homes, but what are you going to do. Definitely recommend it for a bit of a different summer trip anyway.

Never done Scandinavia buts on the ever growing list.

booked a week in Dubrovnik, last week in August staying in the old town. Know zip about the place but it looks nice

Dubrovnik's stunning, though it's very much on the tourist trail so expect it to be properly busy. Try and take a boat trip out to some of the islands if you can.

Day trip by bus to Mostar is doable if you want to eye up the bridge and you don't mind potentially sitting at border control for ages (EU/non-EU, innit).

We did the day trip to Mostar from Dubrovnik 4 years ago, good day. Croatia had joined the eu 3 weeks beforehand and there were long queues at the brand new border crossings. No official national checkpoints at any time before including during the war of the 90s. I think folk in the republic/NI are in for a bit of a shock in a couple of years..

On 26/06/2017 at 11:35 AM, Dr Gloom said:

this sums up a middle class twat camping weekend with kids pretty well, particularly the stuff about letting them eat junk/stay up late/hit each other with sticks. 

http://hurrahforgin.com/2017/05/30/things-i-have-learnt-about-camping-with-kids/

:lol:

Been there. 

Taking my two to the Ardeche for two weeks in a month, staying in a luxury mobile home air conditioned shed. 

My daughter is a proper copper-top, so she'll be spending the entire fortnight unable to pick anything up due to the ceaseless application of factor 50, whilst I expect Fist Jnr to break most of the inventory of the entire campsite within the first day or two. 

I'll be constantly reminded that I'm now a fully-fledged "old bastard" as I wistfully pass the many sites of my various debauched activities from 25yrs ago, greyer, less agile, and now shouting 

" Put it down!" 

Instead of 

"Put it back in!"  

Cant wait. :lol:

Mrs P has booked the wrong islands the dopey bitch.

Good island 2 days....Rubbish island 4 days, 3 hour ferry to average island 3 days.. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024