Donald Trump

Anorthernsoul

19 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'll say this for my mam though. If she'd caught me watching Andrew Tate videos as a teenager or spouting some of his lines about women, I'd have been told "if I ever hear anything like that come out of your mouth again, I'll take the side of your face off*", and that would have been that. :lol:

*take the side of your face off was a particular favourite of hers. 

In my case that and I’ll croon ya (crown you) which in practice was an unexpected slap to the top of the head using the left hand due to the added effect of her wedding ring. 

• Haha 3

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I was waiting to get my wagon loaded at the weekend, and found out via FB that a lad I’d worked with had died suddenly (from what sounds like a massive heart attack)  in rather distressing circumstances*
I visibly and physically reacted, and one of the loaders asked if I was ok, whereupon I told him what I’d just learned. 
His immediate reaction was not to express sympathy or empathy, not even to shrug it off and crack on with his job… nope. 
He asked me if I was on Telegram, as he reached for his phone. 

I knew what was coming. 

Started in about how the Covid vaccine had caused an “upspike” ( his word vomit, not mine), in sudden cardiac arrests, blah blah fucking blah. 

I cut him off, as nicely as I could, and said “Look mate, let’s agree to disagree on this”

Didn’t even register… on he went. 
“ Mate, you can stop. Well just disagree, aye?”

Nope. On he went with the crazy. 

That was enough for me, like. 

So I gave him a concentrated blast of righteous shut-the-fuck-up and a quick lesson in appropriate responses to death 

I wasn’t a happy bunny.  :lol:

I may have asked him if he had anymore disabilities, other than terminal gullibility and extreme deafness, as I’d need to know before I shoved his phone up his arse. 

I honestly think he still didn’t realise what he’d done wrong, the thick fuck. 

These dumb fuckers are balls-deep in the cult of stupidity and there is no arguing with them, “do your research !”

* my mate was walking in the Lakes with his 15yr old son when he died, so the poor lad had to call MR and wait with his dead father for them to get there. 

Sorry to hear that and my heart goes out to his son. 

My Mam doesn't give a fuck about anything as she's not on social media and doesn't really take much notice of the newspapers. My dad unfortunately has been reading the daily mail since I moved out after normally reading the mirror and it shows a bit. He occasionally used to listen to Farage on a radio show he did and sometimes watches GB news. He's not full on wacko but he is quick to believe certain stuff, not vaccines more immigrants stuff. I usually visit on a Sunday so it's usually sport on but if it's during the week it's either sky or GB news but lately more the latter. I just walk in and turn it off or over. :lol: The in-laws, whenever I drop in, has GB news on permanently, the MiL doesn't give a fuck really despite being a bit racist, the FiL is the driver for it being on, I always grab the remote control when I go in and turn it right down saying I can't hear the conversation. 100% it's the older generation being radicalised and not just the boomer generation. 

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about your mate @Monkeys Fist

If I was to say generally most on here were born between the mid 60s and the mid 80s the predominant voices in society we heard were from 4 tv channels and half a dozen tabloids.  Maybe your favourite bands had influence. 

The proliferation of bad actors enabled by THE FUCKING INTERNET nowadays has completely changed how a huge amount of people understand the world and how it works. Propagandists are now beamed straight into our homes whereas before you had to physically leave to house to buy Rupert fuckin Murdoch’s bullshit. That’s why everyone’s parents think Farage has a point if you as me :cuppa:

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Awful news MF, condolences. 

This is why I love this place, it's a bastion of sanity amongst a sea of mistruths and sleaze. Okay, we have the sleaze too but you know. 

I first became interested in this phenomenon more than 2 decades ago, before social media was a thing, in fact when the internet was still dial up. Back then it was a fight against anti vaccers (primarily MMR), evolution deniers, and homeopathy. It was a concern, but never in a million years did I think we'd get to the point we are not now. It's now an existential threat. 

• Like 3

Shit news MF, condolences, morons abound sadly and as my eldest said to me “every village has an idiot and social media has connected all the village idiots to each other and turned them into a horde with a loud voice”.

• Like 3

Trump files a legal complaint against Labour for interfering in the election because Labour Party members have been supporting Harris in the US.

I presume he’ll be stopping Farage from hanging out the back of him while he’s at it then.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Trump files a legal complaint against Labour for interfering in the election because Labour Party members have been supporting Harris in the US.

I presume he’ll be stopping Farage from hanging out the back of him while he’s at it then.

and Truss and Johnson 

Labour folks do this every US election.

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

He’s going to win again, isn’t he? 

Yep. I don't know how he's done it, but yep.

I'm not even sure what the Dems have done wrong in the short term. Maybe should have ditched Biden sooner? But honestly I don't know  what difference it would make.

My big concern is that Biden was simply an anti-Trump vote at the time, and he's been a safe pair of hands but that isn't what our civilisation needs anymore. It needs actual change and meaningful direction. Trump happens to speak to that, so we have to go with him again.. It's a good demonstration of what I fear the issue to be in the UK as well. I mean I honestly can't point to what the Democrats have done wrong other than having absolutely no vision.

I'm clinging on to something my main man Alex Andreou was talking about. He's been looking into the polling data and, in the US there isn't any regulation of pollsters. There's no commission or council that looks at methodologies, so anyone can put any shite out. 

And that's what's been happening. Trump favourable organisations pumping out polls, and pumping out multiple a week in some instances, all of which get factored into polling averages and show a tightening of the race. 

There is a concept of poll ratings over there, and he reckons if you look at the A+ rated ones, they all still give Harris a fairly comfortable lead. The ones that are all flooding in now giving Trump the lead have garbage ratings. 

The obvious incentive for these companies/Trump to do this is a) they get looked upon favourably by their weird little hero, and b) if she wins, theyll use the polls as a means of calling the result into question. 

I'm hoping there's something to what he's saying. If not, honestly the average American can just fuck off. Everything that bloke has done and they STILL take the "yeah but I personally might be marginally better off if he's president, so there goes my vote."

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Dazzler said:

I doubt he even remembers who Farage is. 

Gemmill’s mates comments about the polling make a lot of sense. 
It fits in with the total lack of any need for truth on the American Right, and as he says, gives them something to squawk about when ( please, please), Harris wins. 

If Trump somehow does win it, America, Us, Europe, and particularly Ukraine are in big trouble. 

He can’t win, can he? They’re not that fucking stupid, are they? *

* yes, I know, they are. 

Do we think that the DoJ or any other apparently accountable body are making contingency plans for violence should Trump be declared to have lost? It’s all very well Harris winning, but in some ways parts of the US may be lost along the way….looks to me like local Trump cult members are likely to attack certain state Capitols etc. The National Guard will likely flood DC but the US is vast.. they’re unlikely to be able to protect democracy everywhere, the individuals on January 6 were very highly motivated. That was a dress rehearsal for what’s about to come…

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Do we think that the DoJ or any other apparently accountable body are making contingency plans for violence should Trump be declared to have lost? It’s all very well Harris winning, but in some ways parts of the US may be lost along the way….looks to me like local Trump cult members are likely to attack certain state Capitols etc. The National Guard will likely flood DC but the US is vast.. they’re unlikely to be able to protect democracy everywhere, the individuals on January 6 were very highly motivated. That was a dress rehearsal for what’s about to come…

I haven’t seen anything like the level of organised idiots in this election run-up compared to the Proud Boys and the rest of them last time. 
Possibly because most of them are locked up now, but I also reckon the remaining ones shit their pants when they saw the sentences being handed out. 

I also suspect that the homeland security agencies will have those that remain absolutely pinned down with surveillance and infiltration. 

Thats not to say we won’t see a bunch of Gravy Seals out with their guns again come the election, but it doesn’t feel like the level of that particular lunacy is the same? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Actually the more I think about it, the more I reckon Trump knows he’s on a loser tbh. 

Think about last time- he had the armed idiot groups, rallies every other fucking day, his family were all over the campaign, even his wife showed her sharp face at the odd event. 

This time, no armed groups, I haven’t seen either of his idiot sons this time, just that coked-up daughter-in-law, his Mrs. is clearly too busy banging her boyfriend, and Trump himself seems on another planet- have you seen the two recent rallies where he played songs and “danced” for 40 minutes at one, and just wandered about on stage for a quarter hour at another? 

Remember the reports from inside his camp when Harris announced she was running, saying that he just fell in to a malaise and refused to do anything for a week or two? 

And his choice of running mate????

Wishful thinking probably, but this run is nowt like the last two. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Actually the more I think about it, the more I reckon Trump knows he’s on a loser tbh. 

Think about last time- he had the armed idiot groups, rallies every other fucking day, his family were all over the campaign, even his wife showed her sharp face at the odd event. 

This time, no armed groups, I haven’t seen either of his idiot sons this time, just that coked-up daughter-in-law, his Mrs. is clearly too busy banging her boyfriend, and Trump himself seems on another planet- have you seen the two recent rallies where he played songs and “danced” for 40 minutes at one, and just wandered about on stage for a quarter hour at another? 

Remember the reports from inside his camp when Harris announced she was running, saying that he just fell in to a malaise and refused to do anything for a week or two? 

And his choice of running mate????

Wishful thinking probably, but this run is nowt like the last two. 

Aye, can see all that too. Maybe I'm just being led by the media and feel on this more than the reality.

• Like 2

Nice to see that Giuliani has been ordered by a judge to turn over all of his valuables to the two election workers that he defamed in the aftermath of the 2020 election. 

These include his New York apartment (last in the market for around 5m dollars), his classic Mercedes, and a number of very expensive watches. 

Obviously it's less nice that the man directing him to do all of it appears to still have a 50:50 shot at being president again, but at least that little rat Giuliani is facing some consequences. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Alex said:

He’s going to win again, isn’t he? 

I genuinely don't think so - he's absolutely bat shit insane and I think he's probably lost more moderates than ever by going fully senile in the last four years.

Where I think the real risk lies is in the possibility of him leading some kind of rebellion and kicking off another civil war.

I am not sure which Russia would prefer, a completely compromised US president or an entire US distracted by a full scale ground war amongst themselves on home turf. Either seems like it'd be a win win.

Won't be any full scale ground war, US Military swears allegiance to uphold the constitution not to any President.

If you're talking the maga militia nutjobs, that "war" wouldn't last long.

• Like 1

The stuff with him talking about Arnold Palmer's knob was incredible. 

I'm fucking sick of listening to once serious commentators wondering aloud why Trump is treated differently to any other candidate, and then seconds later giggling away about his latest nonsense, seemingly oblivious to the answer that they're providing to their own question. 

I'm talking about Emily Maitlis and Jon Sopel, who talk a good game about not wanting Trump to win, but I think they secretly realise that they're down a podcast if Harris wins. 

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 5

On 19/10/2024 at 09:31, Monkeys Fist said:

I was waiting to get my wagon loaded at the weekend, and found out via FB that a lad I’d worked with had died suddenly (from what sounds like a massive heart attack)  in rather distressing circumstances*
I visibly and physically reacted, and one of the loaders asked if I was ok, whereupon I told him what I’d just learned. 
His immediate reaction was not to express sympathy or empathy, not even to shrug it off and crack on with his job… nope. 
He asked me if I was on Telegram, as he reached for his phone. 

I knew what was coming. 

Started in about how the Covid vaccine had caused an “upspike” ( his word vomit, not mine), in sudden cardiac arrests, blah blah fucking blah. 

I cut him off, as nicely as I could, and said “Look mate, let’s agree to disagree on this”

Didn’t even register… on he went. 
“ Mate, you can stop. Well just disagree, aye?”

Nope. On he went with the crazy. 

That was enough for me, like. 

So I gave him a concentrated blast of righteous shut-the-fuck-up and a quick lesson in appropriate responses to death 

I wasn’t a happy bunny.  :lol:

I may have asked him if he had anymore disabilities, other than terminal gullibility and extreme deafness, as I’d need to know before I shoved his phone up his arse. 

I honestly think he still didn’t realise what he’d done wrong, the thick fuck. 

These dumb fuckers are balls-deep in the cult of stupidity and there is no arguing with them, “do your research !”

* my mate was walking in the Lakes with his 15yr old son when he died, so the poor lad had to call MR and wait with his dead father for them to get there. 

really sorry to hear this news man .

one of my oldest friends in the world has gone down the conspiracy theory/incel rabbit hole. The sad thing is he used be liberal and tolerant but I guess his life maybe didn’t turn out the way he hoped and it’s easier to blame other people. He’s an intelligent bloke too but so much of this unregulated content is very seductive. 

the mainstream media have a lot to answer for but the alternative is much more dangerous 

• Like 3