Donald Trump

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens? A fine but basically a slap on the wrist? Does it go to appeal? I'm sick of hearing about how he's fucked this time but is still on the scene. 

17 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Biden has hugely raised the military budget, hugely increasesd funding for the police, has detained more immigrants than Trump, is supplying huge amounts of arms to Isreal,  but because he isn't Trump he doesn't get any pushback. 

Well he does on the latter tbf. Honestly though, US presidents will do what US presidents do. Trump, not so much. A direct impact on the UK will be the removal of the US from NATO, the end 9f democracy in the US, and fuck knows what else. 

Two sides of the same coin? They could hardly be any different imo. Sounds like an extreme version of the false equivalence between the Tories and Labour. 

Anyway, incredible news this. Let's hope it's the start of his unravelling, for all our sakes. 

I do accept the criticism that Biden didn't go for Trump on day one for insurrection. This court case is easily the most trivial of all the charges he should faced years ago. Election rigging and insurrection top of the list. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

I do accept the criticism that Biden didn't go for Trump on day one for insurrection. This court case is easily the most trivial of all the charges he should faced years ago. Election rigging and insurrection top of the list. 

Thing is that they actually did, but it did take them far too long trying to get things right, although they are dealing with people who are at least bending the rule of law. Just look at  the likes of Alito et al.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

What happens? A fine but basically a slap on the wrist? Does it go to appeal? I'm sick of hearing about how he's fucked this time but is still on the scene. 

Yes and yes. It has no official impact on his capacity for office, even if he goes to jail. Presidential candidates have run from prison before. 

He's now a convicted felon, though. It puts paid to the idea that this guy can do literally anything and remain above the law. A jury of his peers found him guilty on all counts, and I expect this is just the first conviction he's going to face. Good day for the USA, still life in the old girl. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

This supports a point I've made in the past. Biden is actually more dangerous than Trump because he pursues a lot of the same policies, but more efficiently and without any pushback from the media or " the resistance"

Biden's border policy is worse than Trumps, just without the rhetoric and without protests from the "left"

At least if Trump gets elected there will be people on the streets protesting, Biden just gets to float through

Crazypants take, sorry. For one, Biden has been mullered by the left for his terrible Israel policy but that notwithstanding, anyone saying he is "more dangerous" than Trump is sniffing glue. Biden is an establishment politician. Trump wants to be Kim Jong Un. They are not the same. Trump returning to the presidency will mean the end of democracy in the United States of America, full stop, and probably (the expansion of) wars in Europe and the Middle East. He and his cronies have a well-publicised plan to strip the federal government of anyone other than his sycophants and enact a bureaucratic dictatorship, enabled by slates of false electors and complicit state legislatures. But there are still morons wringing their hands over the "cozzie livs" and thinking that electing him is going to bring gas down to a dollar again like it was for a month during a global pandemic, or maybe make the gays go away, or put Jesus back in schools, or whatever delusions they cling to, and this sort of "both sides" rhetoric and that shovelled forth by the commenter referenced above by PL is not helping. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Trump might have admired and aspired to Putin and Kim Jong Un but in his own mind he's whole schtik has always screamed Back to the Future 3 era Biff Tannen.

Hilariously, deloreans and old sports almanacs are back in fashion.

3 hours ago, acrossthepond said:

Crazypants take, sorry. For one, Biden has been mullered by the left for his terrible Israel policy but that notwithstanding, anyone saying he is "more dangerous" than Trump is sniffing glue. Biden is an establishment politician. Trump wants to be Kim Jong Un. They are not the same. Trump returning to the presidency will mean the end of democracy in the United States of America, full stop, and probably (the expansion of) wars in Europe and the Middle East. He and his cronies have a well-publicised plan to strip the federal government of anyone other than his sycophants and enact a bureaucratic dictatorship, enabled by slates of false electors and complicit state legislatures. But there are still morons wringing their hands over the "cozzie livs" and thinking that electing him is going to bring gas down to a dollar again like it was for a month during a global pandemic, or maybe make the gays go away, or put Jesus back in schools, or whatever delusions they cling to, and this sort of "both sides" rhetoric and that shovelled forth by the commenter referenced above by PL is not helping. 

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

Newsnight getting a Republican on to call the trial a sham and talk about the weaponisation of the US justice system. Completely unchallenged by Kirsty Wark.

• Jaysus... 2

6 hours ago, acrossthepond said:

I think she means Biden has done fuck all to prosecute Trump for Jan 6 and therefore if he wins in November it will be the last election till Trump snuffs it. That’s what she’s criticising Biden for, he’s ignored the obvious and huge danger the US is in. 

11 hours ago, Renton said:

Biden represents the political hegemony. It is far from perfect but has worked for most people in the West since WW2, and actually achieved great things such as in health, education, and living standards. I think your criticism of him is a bit OTT tbh and suggesting he is worse than Trump is astonishing. 

Biden being reelected you won't notice much here. Trump gets elected and I can almost certainly guarantee things will get worse for all the people of Europe, including you and your family. He's a monster intent on destroying the most powerful democracy on the planet. He's a grotesque narcissistic psychopath. It was bad enough first time, next time he is unleashed and you'll be begging for someone like Biden back. 

I am worried tbh. For all it's flaws, I remember as a kid the US always seemed like some utopia compared with here, it was truly aspirational. Now I wouldn't go there if you paid me except for work, when I guess they are paying me. I'm essentially owned by Americans as are many of us.

I just try to put it to the back of my mind, but with the UK being isolated outside the EU, outside the 3 super powers, times are more uncertain than ever before. 

Sleepy Joe is far from perfect but his inflation reduction act is a transformative piece of legislation. You could argue it’s protectionist but he’s done more to kickstart the green energy transition than any other western leader.  Trump will struggle to reverse it because the red states that are benefitting from the subsidy-driven investment won’t want to lose those jobs. The majority of the investment has gone to republican states too - Biden may be almost senile but he’s not stupid. 

• Like 1