Newcastle United v Liverpool (6/12/15 16:00 ko Sky)

Haydnator

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't defend and likely to let the game pass him by.

why? he's quick enough to perform the "box to box" role. why do we have to have two holding midfielders anyway? it's something that puzzles me about the modern game. why not just have one sitting and have the other one spliting duties between defence and attack?

why? he's quick enough to perform the "box to box" role. why do we have to have two holding midfielders anyway? it's something that puzzles me about the modern game. why not just have one sitting and have the other one spliting duties between defence and attack?

Letting the game pass him by has nothing to do with his ability, it's his attitude.

In terms of his defensive ability, the boy can't tackle, hasn't got great awareness of hos to occupy the right space and doesn't play low-risk passes in tight areas which ends up inviting pressure when the pass goes astray or the player who receives it is immediately in trouble.

We should be able to play with 1 defensive midfielder & 1 more focused on attack, but we can't with our current squad. That said, our attacking midfielders leave our fullbacks exposed, so we might need two defensively minded centre-mids to help cover the flanks? I don't mean we need two Tiote's, but certainly couldn't play with Tiote and, say, de Jong.

when he signed he was billed as a box to box central midfielder wasn't he? wasn't it pardew that turned him into a wide player on the back of that one brilliant, match winning performance against chelsea early in his career?

he's a good ball carrier but i don't reckon he's a natural wide player and he'd be more suited to playing centrally, alongside a more defensive midfielder.

when he signed he was billed as a box to box central midfielder wasn't he? wasn't it pardew that turned him into a wide player on the back of that one brilliant, match winning performance against chelsea early in his career?

he's a good ball carrier but i don't reckon he's a natural wide player and he'd be more suited to playing centrally, alongside a more defensive midfielder.

Players will drift to different positions though.

He also only plays (and will only ever play) for France on the right so he'll want to be there for us in the runup to the euros

i think he's wasted out there. he could be a patrick vieira type in the middle, if he could be arsed. he's got all the attributes except the desire, it seems.

His touch and technique are nowhere near the levels of Vieira, likewise his positional sense and in game intelligence.

His touch and technique are nowhere near the levels of Vieira, likewise his positional sense and in game intelligence.

on his day he's unplayable and those barnstorming runs of his remind me of a marauding young vieria. the big problem with him as far as i can see is his mentality as he only turns up for a handful of games a season

Fuck off mentioning his mentality and desire.He doesn't give 100% every game.Next I'm going to read about his 'lack of confidence' being the reason for his poor form.As for his ability,or lack of it,he hasn't got a football brain.He hasn't got a decent shot in him.Has he ever dirtied his shorts making a crunching tackle.At times he runs like a chicken with no head with no end product.Most of the time he runs 20 yards and loses the ball.He's no Keith Gillespie.

on his day, he does look like vieria, or toure, to me - a big athletic beast, quick, and capable of running through entire defences and destroying teams. he can be unplayable on the two or three games a season when he fancies it. that's why he's so frustrating when he's gash the rest of the time.

the dummet/roberto carlos comparison is silly. dummet will never be more than a clogger. sissoko could be quality. i don't know why he's so inconsistent. i suspect it's a question of attitude though because he has ability. he has shown it for us on the odd occasion. dummet has not.

Edited by Dr Gloom

He's nowt like Vieira. Can't believe it's even a discussion tbh :lol:

it was the first thing i thought when he tore chelsea apart at home shortly after he signed. i watched that game and thought wow, we've only gone and signed the next vieira here. he was that good. unfortunately he's been mostly shit since. but on the odd occasion he still does turn out that kind of performance.

if sissoko took a magic pill which made him reproduce that form in every match, people would be genuinely talking him up. if he hadn't put in the odd good performance, i'd be happy to write him off as the next eric djemba djemba

you don't see any similarities in the way both players attack? i see a lot of similarities. both rangy, quick, athletic, ability to glide past players. i haven't seen sissoko do the hard work and boss a midfield the way vieria did - but that's not to say he couldn't do it, if he could be arsed to get his shorts dirty.

Veira was a defensive midfielder who could control the game and protect the back 4 superbly. Sissokos natural instinct is to go forward, carrying the ball.

He was much more than a defensive midfielder tbf. He often had someone like gilberto silva sitting next to him. He was the perfect example of what a box to box centre midfielder should be.

Edited by Dr Gloom

He was much more than a defensive midfielder tbf. He often had someone like gilberto silva sitting next to him. He was the perfect example of what a box to box centre midfielder should be.

He went forward a lot more than Gilberto but I wouldn't class him as a box to box of the ilk of Gerrard and Lampard etc.

They are just completely different players to be honest. The only similar attribute is power.