Paris

Christmas Tree

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of anecdotes of Muslims being murdered by family members because of apostasy or falling in love with the wrong person. Its mad it is illegal anywhere or some states can actively discriminate against non-Muslims, don't you agree?

Absolutely. Also that so many (especially young) muslims agree with the death penalty for it, Even in the UK. But in ALL cases it's the minority position.

Even half a century after we abolished the death Penalty in the UK, it's only this year that support for it among the public has fallen into the minority. Of course that's for harmful crimes, but we weren't a theocracy when we were hanging people for homosexuality either, and a quarter of people in the UK still think gay rumpy pumpy should be illegal.

Absolutely. Also that so many (especially young) muslims agree with the death penalty for it, Even in the UK. But in ALL cases it's the minority position.

Even half a century after we abolished the death Penalty in the UK, it's only this year that support for it among the public has fallen into the minority. Of course that's for harmful crimes, but we weren't a theocracy when we were hanging people for homosexuality either, and a quarter of people in the UK still think gay rumpy pumpy should be illegal.

They just haven't given it the old college try.

I'm equally offended by his claim to not tolerate homosexuality because his religion tells him too. What's more offensive? Mocking a religion or denying someone's right to a sexuality?

I have a lot of respect for aimaad I must add. We're obviously never going to agree on lots of stuff but I appreciate him going to lengths to put his argument forward in a reasoned way. Everything is still a bit raw after Friday night but I had hoped I was doing the same.

Weeeelllll..... Say if aimaad was a work colleague and you were quizzing him about his beliefs and openly laughed in front of witnesses about some of them and somebody reported it. You'd be on a spot of bother with HR at the very least.

I know this is the Internet and this does sound very pious and PC but it proves a point in a way. The road to real trouble between communities starts with this sort of small time stuff. Of course it begs a much bigger question, should we tolerate intolerance?...it's tricky, it's the line between freedom of speech and respect for any religion. You don't respect Islam, fair enough, but the right to religious expression is enshrined in EU and UN conventions.

Weeeelllll..... Say if aimaad was a work colleague and you were quizzing him about his beliefs and openly laughed in front of witnesses about some of them and somebody reported it. You'd be on a spot of bother with HR at the very least.

I know this is the Internet and this does sound very pious and PC but it proves a point in a way. The road to real trouble between communities starts with this sort of small time stuff. Of course it begs a much bigger question, should we tolerate intolerance?...it's tricky, it's the line between freedom of speech and respect for any religion. You don't respect Islam, fair enough, but the right to religious expression is enshrined in EU and UN conventions.

But it is the Internet and a small community that happily take the piss about all sorts of stuff all day long. Personally I don't really think it's been an unpleasant exchange by anyone.

He'd equally get hauled up in front of HR for calling me fat or using the Cnut word.

CT grilling about your diet isn't the same thing at all. If Renty and Gloom had carried on like this about Christianity in any Southern state they'd be hanging from trees.

I agree with him on some things reg Islam and started an outrageous thread about Saudi but I'd personally feel uncomfortable harrying aimaad for the length of time that he has endured.

Edited by Park Life

CT grilling about your diet isn't the same thing at all. If Renty and Gloom had carried on like this about Christianity in any Southern state they'd be hanging from trees.

I agree with him on some things reg Islam and started an outrageous thread about Saudi but I'd personally feel uncomfortable harrying aimaad for the length of time that he has endured.

I think aimaad has been on here long enough to know the score. Give as good as he got imo.

I'm just as scathing about Christianity - I'm surprised you haven't noticed from my other posts. I'm not islamophobic, If that's what you're suggesting. I don't really give that label any credence tbh.

One of my best pals in London is of Muslim descent and we've discussed exactly the issues we've been over today without him taking any great offence. He agrees with me about how aspects of Islam, including the treatment of gays and women covering up, are not compatible with an open secular society, believe it or not. There are some westernised Muslims out there who think the religion they were born in to is a load of old cobblers. Just as I would describe myself as someone from Christian and Jewish descent, who thinks his own religions are just as moronic.

And if that causes anyone any great offence, I don't really care. It's called freedom of speech - exactly the thing that was attacked in Paris on Friday.

I knew you'd say that. You and Renton have been very poor. What started off as a full and frank discussion ended up with aimaad defending his beliefs for page after page. It's funny but no discussion on Israel goes on anywhere without the smear of anti-semitism.

See your mask is loose boyo.

Edited by Park Life

But it is the Internet and a small community that happily take the piss about all sorts of stuff all day long. Personally I don't really think it's been an unpleasant exchange by anyone.

He'd equally get hauled up in front of HR for calling me fat or using the Cnut word.

Normally I'd agree but I don't think it's fair or in particularly good taste to start picking on Islam or it's plainly moderate and sensible followers 4 days after a bunch of oxygen thrives hijacked the belief system of 1.5bllion mostly reasonable and blameless followers and murdered 130 people. Aimaad has made some very thoughtful and pertinent contributions and didn't really deserve a grilling from the fuckin Geordie Inquisition.

I'm just as scathing about Christianity - I'm surprised you haven't noticed from my other posts. I'm not islamophobic, If that's what you're suggesting. I don't really give that label any credence tbh.

One of my best pals in London is of Muslim descent and we've discussed exactly the issues we've been over today without him taking any great offence. He agrees with me about how aspects of Islam, including the treatment of gays and women covering up, are not compatible with an open secular society, believe it or not. There are some westernised Muslims out there who think the religion they were born in to is a load of old cobblers. Just as I would describe myself as someone from Christian and Jewish descent, who thinks his own religions are just as moronic.

And if that causes anyone any great offence, I don't really care. It's called freedom of speech - exactly the thing that was attacked in Paris on Friday.

You must be gods gift to relativism.

Don't try and hide behind all this bollocks.

Renton had the good sense to apologize earlier.

Edited by Park Life

Obviously I wouldn't carry on in the office how we do on here :lol:

I don't want to deny anyone's right to religious expression, but does that make religion exempt from criticism? I hope not, I think they all deserve to be criticised. Hopefully that will result in them adapting and evolving to modern life. These books were written hundreds of years ago, it's common sense that they should be reviewed and scrutinised isn't it? And yes, laughed at too if that's what results in them becoming relevant today.

You know, there's a big part of me that wants to be as unbelievably tolerant as the majority of people on TT are. I consider myself to be very accepting of other cultures and beliefs. But the scenes in Paris, and 9/11 and the London bombings before that, have made me question how anything like that can be done in the name of a faith.

I knew you'd say that. You and Renton have been very poor. What started off as a full and frank discussion ended up with aimaad defending his beliefs for page after page. It's funny but no discussion on Israel goes on anywhere without the smear of anti-semitism.

See your mask is loose boyo.

I've got to disagree there. Israel gets absolutely hammered on here, and rightly so at times.

I think I'm the lone voice defending its right to exist. And I don't think you're really an antisemite, another word which is almost as annoying as islamophobic.