Paris

Christmas Tree

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am wondering if you're aware of how close you are to mocking aimaads religion here? It's ok, am not offended am am not intending on taking offence on behalf of aimaad himself. Are you just taking the piss out of his beliefs as an excercise in freedom of speech, because of the events of Friday night (which as several posters in this thread have tried to explain has fairly little to do with mainstream Islam in general) or because he's a lone voice on here 1000s of miles away on the end of a broadband connection? Mixture of all 3?...

Fwiw I tend to agree with a lot of what you say but phrasing it in the manner you're doing is abusing the freedom of speech you appear to be claiming full rights to here. With those rights comes the responsibility to use them carefully and taking the piss out of the single(?) poster on here who can give real insight into how mainstream Moslems think is for me abusing that right as much as you're abusing aimaads beliefs.

I'm equally offended by his claim to not tolerate homosexuality because his religion tells him too. What's more offensive? Mocking a religion or denying someone's right to a sexuality?

I have a lot of respect for aimaad I must add. We're obviously never going to agree on lots of stuff but I appreciate him going to lengths to put his argument forward in a reasoned way. Everything is still a bit raw after Friday night but I had hoped I was doing the same.

Think this needs to stop. Everyone is shaken by recent events but grilling the only Muslim on the board page after page makes uncomfortable reading.

TT has higher standards than this.

Edited by Park Life

Exile, or death.

You don't have to denounce your religion to not follow it really. It's not that complicated.

Well no, but since this applies to all people born into Muslim families it sounds massively coercive to my ears. "Believe or leave or die". Wasn't too hard for me leaving Catholicism although I didn't like upsetting my mother.

Think this needs to stop. Everyone is shaken by recent events but grilling the only Muslim on the board page after page makes uncomfortable reading.

Where's ATP nowadays? I think you've got a point although I'm still interested in the discussion. Don't think there is any personal malice. Edited by Renton

why are you uncomfortable? it's not like everyone is ganging up on aimaad. as far as i can see renton, toonotl and i seem to be in the minority and plenty of people have his back in what is admittedly a heated debate.

and anyway, he was the one who brought up burqas. :razz:

I stopped reading the thread because of the shit that is being posted.

Much better discussions on other forums.

Edited by Anorthernsoul

Exile, or death.

Thought you were in Pakistan. It's not illegal there is it?

Checking...

47% of Muslim majority countries have it as illegal.

16% of Mulsim Majority countries have laws to punish it with death

2 people have suffered the death penalty for it globally in the last 5 years.

Checking...

Plenty of anecdotes of Muslims being murdered by family members because of apostasy or falling in love with the wrong person. Its mad it is illegal anywhere or some states can actively discriminate against non-Muslims, don't you agree?

Am wondering if you're aware of how close you are to mocking aimaads religion here? It's ok, am not offended am am not intending on taking offence on behalf of aimaad himself. Are you just taking the piss out of his beliefs as an excercise in freedom of speech, because of the events of Friday night (which as several posters in this thread have tried to explain has fairly little to do with mainstream Islam in general) or because he's a lone voice on here 1000s of miles away on the end of a broadband connection? Mixture of all 3?...

Fwiw I tend to agree with a lot of what you say but phrasing it in the manner you're doing is abusing the freedom of speech you appear to be claiming full rights to here. With those rights comes the responsibility to use them carefully and taking the piss out of the single(?) poster on here who can give real insight into how mainstream Moslems think is for me abusing that right as much as you're abusing aimaads beliefs.

i just want to add that i find all religion so absurd. that's why the paris attacks have left me feeling so utterly bemused and incensed. i still can't make any sense of what happened to paris, a city that i'm very fond of, in a country which shares our values, and which is much closer to where i live than newcastle. it's all a bit raw. sorry if that's boring to anyone, or offensive. i don't mean to be either of these things, though appreciate i'm often both.

i just want to add that i find all religion so absurd. that's why the paris attacks have left me feeling so utterly bemused and incensed. i still can't make any sense of what happened to paris, a city that i'm very fond of, in a country which shares our values, and which is much closer to where i live than newcastle. it's all a bit raw. sorry if that's boring to anyone, or offensive. i don't mean to be either of these things, though appreciate i'm often both.

You think we'll get relegated this time?

Checking...

Nope. There are sharia courts that could technically apply the penalty though. They've not really ever had in power in practise however.

Also worth noting that a good number of scholars don't actually believe there ought to be a death penalty.