Newcastle United V Arsenal // St James Park // 12.45 KO

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding being a marked man - I wouldn't be surprised if the refs had already had a chat about him so he played into their hands. Could have got away with it but it wasn't unjust.

I'd asked the cunt why he booked Gini for dissent but ignored Cazorla, Sanchez and the rest of the entirely pathetic squealing bastards in red.

As a decision the red is highly debateable. Mariner sent off the wrong player (ironically Arsenal's Kieran Gibbs) a few years back, he's got form for incompetence. His partiality and consistency in this match were dreadful. But its all the Mitrovic's fault? Aye rightyo :lol:

In an ideal world Mitrovic doesn't give him a decision to make but as has been said its a fuckin contact sport and mistimed tackles happen. I preume he was sent off for serious foul play? That's for intentional offences, not mistiming due to the ball being nipped away by the Arsenal player a fraction before the challenge came in.

Howay man, you don't think there was any malicious intent in what Mitrovic did? Watch it again minus the NUFC bias. It wasn't simply a mistimed tackle. Not even close.

Mariner is a fucking awful referee, but we shouldn't allow that to distract us from the real issue which is that we've signed a fucking heed-the-baal.

Ask yourself this: if you put a non-malicious player in that same position, say a Beardsley, do you think he ends up with his studs planted in the other lad's shin?

Edited by Gemmill

Think McClaren's defence of AM is an attempt to soften the lad's image. If he'd come out publicly & said it was a shocking tackle and words will be had in training, that'd just cement Mitrovic's growing reputation for being a headcase in the public perception.

Doubt it'll get rescinded, but in a weekend of dubious decisions, it's worth a punt.

Watford & West Ham will give us 4-6 points imo. And after we've played City & Chelsea we've a decent run where we can get points on the board & climb the table.

Howay man, you don't think there was any malicious intent in what Mitrovic did? Watch it again minus the NUFC bias. It wasn't simply a mistimed tackle. Not even close.

Mariner is a fucking awful referee, but we shouldn't allow that to distract us from the real issue which is that we've signed a fucking heed-the-baal.

Ask yourself this: if you put a non-malicious player in that same position, say a Beardsley, do you think he ends up with his studs planted in the other lad's shin?

Pedro wasn't known for his physicality was he really?...think he'd have just jockeyed the Arsenal lad tbh..

Point is Sissoko got a yellow for the same thing a few minutes before. As I've said, it would've been better if Mitrovic didn't give Mariner a decision to make but if its a yellow for Sissoko then its a yellow for Mitrovic.

Pedro wasn't known for his physicality was he really?...think he'd have just jockeyed the Arsenal lad tbh..

Point is Sissoko got a yellow for the same thing a few minutes before. As I've said, it would've been better if Mitrovic didn't give Mariner a decision to make but if its a yellow for Sissoko then its a yellow for Mitrovic.

Physicality is irrelevant in a challenge like that. It was a question of whether there was malicious intent.

Physicality is irrelevant in a challenge like that. It was a question of whether there was malicious intent.

What I'm trying to say is Pedro would've been unlikely go in like that in the first place i.e.a full blooded attempt to win the ball. He's more likely to have just put the ball under pressure.

Was there malicious intent in Sissoko's challenge?

Where he trod on someone's toes a few minutes earlier following through on an attempt at a block tackle. You probably can't remember it because the two challenges were nothing a like.

Come on PL. I don't think it's a red either but the Sissoko challenge was not even similar to the Mitrovic tackle.

Mitrovic definitely has a job on his hands now with the first impression he has made.

No way in the world the red gets rescinded by the way. It's a very harsh red card but it did look bad. A protest would be frivolous and only piss people off. Not worth the bother.

Mitrovic needs to take his medicine and make a concerted effort to fight against the first impression he has made with the refs and angry old pissy pants Gemmers.

The question for me regarding intent is that he's made challenges like that in other games already so it obviously part of his make up which is what Gemmill is getting at - whether this was harsh or not the lad has to tone it down.

Mitrovic definitely has a job on his hands now with the first impression he has made.

No way in the world the red gets rescinded by the way. It's a very harsh red card but it did look bad. A protest would be frivolous and only piss people off. Not worth the bother.

Mitrovic needs to take his medicine and make a concerted effort to fight against the first impression he has made with the refs and angry old pissy pants Gemmers.

Is this a made up nickname or has there been an incident? Edited by TheGingerQuiff

A pant pissing incident i meant.

To be fair, he was rather excited to meet me one time in a Town bar the name of which escapes me. Not sure if he pissed his pants in excitement or whether it was a case of leaking white wee-wee, either way he was generally over-awed.*

*Apologies to J69 for discussing this 'real life' situation, I just haven't the time to get a room when I can post on here instead.

Whether you agree with the red card or not, something tells me that Mitrovic is going to be a nightmare for us this season. It doesn't make me like the guy any less of course - there's something very endearing about his atttiude and the way he speaks of his passion for the game and for our club and you can see in his aggression when he plays, how competitive he is and how much he wants to win. But, I worry that we might never really see the true potential of this lad. He's featured in every game this season so far and I still don't feel like I've seen really play. I don't believe there was any malice at all in his challenge and I think the red card was incredibly harsh, but no one that supports NUFC can say they didn't see this coming.

I prey that the guy cools down a little and we get the opportunity to see him really play, in a game where we have a little more possession and look like we could be the dominant force, but the early signs are concerning.
Also, I think the absence of Mitro highlighted the need for the club to bring in another forward - Papiss Cisse was not the player anybody wanted brought on which speaks volumes of his time left on Tyneside, I feel. Could Mitro's probable suspension be the key thst unlocks the Charlie Austin box, finally?

I'm fairly happy with the transfer business we've done, but we've not really seen them play properly yet. It's been mostly backs to the wall kind of shit (largely due to being reduced to 10 men yesterday).

We aren't going to set the league alight this year, that's for sure. But we're not going to end up in that utter clusterfuck that happened last year either.

I'd take a left back at this point, but I think we're well stocked in strikers between Mitro, Perez and Cisse (and some of the forgotten...).

Maybe Mitro and Cisse can take turns being suspended.