Generic small time football blather thread 2015/16

The Fish

The problem with the Euros was the 24 team format rather than just upping it to 32 (meaning those dire games like England v Slovakia / Germany v N. Ireland / France v Albania).

What Fifa are proposing is a better solution, in that you won't get 3rd place teams going through as there'll be a preliminary round of 32 teams, excluding the top seeded 16. I suppose it lets countries from the likes of Asia and South America get more of a crack at it.

Just listening to last nights Monday night club.  Fuck me, they pay Chris Sutton and Robbie Savage for this?  Fucking clueless.  Both wanking off Giggs saying he should have had the Swansea job over Bob Bradley.  Totally contradicting themselves the thick cunts.

Why the fuck should Giggs have any Prem job that comes up.  The argument of him being a number 2 is fucking laughable.

Ct6Y_5WWcAAEo9A.jpg

:lol:

Aye it makes no sense why Giggs is being touted as a PL level manager, the same talking heads were talking about how fucking dreadful Man Utd were the whole time he was an assistant manager there. I'm not saying that's down to him but it's the only evidence of him doing any coaching/managing. Bruce is a fucking bum, they're taking a gamble but I'd bet that Bob Bradley is on a heck of a less than Bruce would have demanded.

Nice to see they do research as well (from a f365 article http://www.football365.com/news/mediawatch-justice-for-poor-ryan-giggs):

“I’m with Chris on this one. Bob Bradley? What, Le Havre, I think they’ve got a game on Wednesday. I think they’re about 11th in Ligue 2.”
They’re fifth, Robbie. Three points behind leaders Stade de Reims.

“They missed out on promotion by one goal I think it was last year though, Robbie.”

“Yeah, they missed out.”

How on Earth does this bloke get paid to talk about football? He was a shite player and he's a shite pundit.

Sutton goes on to liken Giggs to Guardiola ffs, despite the fact that Guardiola was managing a 2nd division side (Barca B ) which is far more responsibility than being an assistant manager. I also fucking hate this 'he knows the Premier League' bollocks, what a complete crock of shit that phrase is, it's as ridiculous as the ones that said Rafa doesn't know the Championship so we'd be better off with Pearson.

Edited by Howay

It's funny when Savage is put in a tight spot so he resorts to one of several variants of "Have you ever played professional football?" Except he thinks he's then won the argument instead of demonstrating he's already lost it.

It's funny when Savage is put in a tight spot so he resorts to one of several variants of "Have you ever played professional football?" Except he thinks he's then won the argument instead of demonstrating he's already lost it.

The likes of Savage absolutely ruin any football talk on a televised game. The amount of football I just don't bother with these days can be put down in part to these types of 'personalities'. I'd honestly rather listen to one of fish & Co's podcasts.

The likes of Savage absolutely ruin any football talk on a televised game. The amount of football I just don't bother with these days can be put down in part to these types of 'personalities'. I'd honestly rather listen to one of fish & Co's podcasts.

Same, I like watching non-newcastle matches when I can but the commentators/pundits on the game will, fairly regularly, have me going and doing something else.

Savage is the primary example of that, followed by Ray Hudson.

If it weren't for the fact its the only way to get coverage of our games I wouldn't put up with Anderson and Lowes either.

edit: for the record I quite liked fishes podcast when he was on it, its not as good without him tbh.

Same, I like watching non-newcastle matches when I can but the commentators/pundits on the game will, fairly regularly, have me going and doing something else.

If it weren't for the fact its the only way to get coverage of our games I wouldn't put up with Anderson and Lowes either.

edit: for the record I quite liked fishes podcast when he was on it, its not as good without him tbh.

I tend to turn the sound down and stick an album or 6Music on to be honest. It's rare that commentators actually add something to watching a match. More often than not it's some ex-pro who hasn't the wherewithal to give proper insight that could only really come from someone who's played, or coached the game at a decent level, nor have they the wit or charisma to add humour to it. 

There's only a few pundits that don't have me frustrated; Jenas is good, Neville & Carragher are decent on MNF, but I get nothing from "Sav", Bright, Wright, Lawrenson, Keown, et al that I couldn't get from the bloke down the pub who's got a season ticket in Bar 1892 so he can get a half time pint of Carling easily.

re: the podcast, Cheers for that mate, I won't let it go to my head.

Can't comment on Hudson as I've never heard him properly but isn't he trying to be a footballing Sid Waddell?

I'm not a fan of podcasts either, generally, the football ones done by fans usually have me cringing just listening for five minutes. Maybe it's just an age thing or rode tinted glasses but I often see the current football media/fan podcast and think to myself in a sanguine moment, 'hmmmn, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS ABSOLUTE SHIT?'

Seriously, get back to the days of actual commentators commentating on the game with no ex-football gimps trying to become a media presence sitting next to them.

Can't comment on Hudson as I've never heard him properly but isn't he trying to be a footballing Sid Waddell?

I'm not a fan of podcasts either, generally, the football ones done by fans usually have me cringing just listening for five minutes. Maybe it's just an age thing or rode tinted glasses but I often see the current football media/fan podcast and think to myself in a sanguine moment, 'hmmmn, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS ABSOLUTE SHIT?'

Seriously, get back to the days of actual commentators commentating on the game with no ex-football gimps trying to become a media presence sitting next to them.

I get more insight from podcasts, than I do from pundits and commentators most fo the time. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of shit out there, but Football Weekly, The Game*, the Football Ramble are examples of football podcasts that have the right mix of insight and "banter". Much better than talkSport, 606 and that shite. I suppose it depends how you like to hear about football. My Dad, for example, watches Match of the Day and tries to avoid the results until then. He wouldn't think to read a blog that discusses the tactical innovations, or listen to a podcast. Home from the pub, Chilli re-heated, glass of wine, happy days.

*Although Marcotti can be a bit tedious.

Ray Hudson is without doubt the worst commentator around, unfortunately over here he commentates on any Barca or Real Madrid game so they're basically unwatchable. A grown man saying stuff like "Messi is magisterial, he is the puppet master pulling on the strings of the Barcelona wondershow of Neymar and Suarez" it's cringeworthy as fuck. The man is a complete arsehole and just says ridiculous stuff because apparently some people think it's funny despite the fact that 90% of the things he attempts make no sense whatsoever, then if they start building a move or come close he starts fucking screaming and yelling, just shut the fuck up man. Pundits like him are a real issue imo, they're supposed to just be background to the game but instead they're trying to become personalities.

Aye Alex, Savage saying "well you've never played the game professionally" is just arsehole behavior and proves what a mug the bloke is, if that is his argument then he should sit silently when anyone that was better than him speaks but that isn't the case. Mourinho and Wenger either didn't play or played at a very low level and I'd say they know far more about the game than Savage ever will.

I think the major problem is they basically let any ex-pro have a go, so you end up with utter bores like Owen and utter morons like Savage. Occasionally of course you get decent stuff like Jenas, Carragher, Neville etc but the vast majority are going to be shit at it. How Adrian Chiles lasted so long is absolutely beyond me, is that useless prick still droning on about football?

Edited by Howay

Aye, I was pleasantly surprised with it.  It's a shame because there was really good chemistry between Fergus, Dave and the other lad.

Though I'm never forgiving you for that "100%" comment, @@The Fish. ;)

Aye, I was pleasantly surprised with it.  It's a shame because there was really good chemistry between Fergus, Dave and the other lad.

Though I'm never forgiving you for that "100%" comment, @@The Fish. ;)

I was right, so SUCK IT!

'Unless you've played the game'

'You'll know what I mean' from one ex-pro to another.

Regular shite spouted by Ray Houghton.He used to present a golf show on talkshite.He struggled to reply to one caller who said ' but Ray,you've never played the game at a high level'

Pundits watch the same game as me then point out what I've just watched.

• Guest locked this topic