Four years on since

Ayatollah Hermione

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The infamous blue shirt and white collar is acceptable, as long as the shade of blue isn’t too deep and accompanied with a power tie. This ode to Gekko works much better today in a light pink, baby blue, or lavender shirt, and without a tie.
  • Skip the monograms… Unless your initials are D.I.K.
  • No shirt pockets or collar buttons. This isn’t a 1994 Brooks Brothers catalogue.
  • Make sure your shirts are tapered appropriately. If you want to see how ridiculous ‘blousy’ looks, go back and watch some old Seinfeld reruns.
  • Have new shirts made every year and donate the old ones to Career Gear, a great non-profit that provides interview clothes to low income individuals.
  • French cuffs are fine, provided that the cufflinks aren’t straight out of the Donald J. Trump collection.
  • And if you sweat, wear a damn undershirt, you slob. Besides, a $50 t-shirt will save numerous $200 dress shirts from your disgusting armpits.

That reads like a paragraph from this...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28676.American_Psycho

After you with the nail gun :D

OOO did that strike a nerve? I was joking as it happens since I assumed you'd copied that off some gents fashion website for the sort of person who buys chap magazine unironically but now I'm a bit less sure. :razz:

You're the one posting about $200 dress shirts and getting your work wear made annually.

If it struck a nerve, you'd know about it ;) I was merely pointing out that copying and pasting some shirt advice in response to a topic about 'shirts that look like those worn by those in the city' isn't really an opportunity to post 'check your privilege'. If it had made sense, i may have even laughed.

This bit is true. The G-Prince wears strictly slim fit or tailored shirts these days. The amount of excess material in a "regular fit" shirt is scandalous. As is the view that colleagues get of my nipples in my slim fit shirts.

Apart from the 'new shirts every year, donate old ones to charity' the advice is spot on. The monograms on shirt cuffs though :lol: When my colleague turned up with his new shirts monogrammed my only comment was 'we just stitched our daughters name into her clothes for school too'.

lol fuck off you, you're closer to Gekko levels than the rest of us ;)

The crux of it I have to deal with a load of people most of which are 10+yrs my senior who are a similar grade or lower, so wandering about in jeans and tshirt doesn't cut it, i wish it did.

59d6fa1d6e9f20a6e040d04bae621602.jpg

Chill out, child prodigy!

I have three tailored suits as it happens. I have to because I've got massive shoulders and a 31 inch waist, so anything that fits me on the shoulders off the peg looks completely ridiculous because of the excess material flapping around my waist.

I wouldn't go as far as having shirts tailored like Chez and I definitely wouldn't be seen dead in one of those blue shirts with white collars, sorry Ant. Belongs with the Windsor knot, pinstripe suit, pinkie ring brigade. I didn't put you down as a public school boy.

In the rare event I wear a tie, it's skinny with a school boy knot.

Pocket handkerchiefs are hideous. Pocket squares on the other hand are perfectly acceptable.

Here endeth the sartorial lesson.

lol fuck off you, you're closer to Gekko levels than the rest of us ;)

The crux of it I have to deal with a load of people most of which are 10+yrs my senior who are a similar grade or lower, so wandering about in jeans and tshirt doesn't cut it, i wish it did.

There might be a compromise between the sullen teen look and Donald feckin' Trump.

I have three tailored suits as it happens. I have to because I've got massive shoulders and a 31 inch waist, so anything that fits me on the shoulders off the peg looks completely ridiculous because of the excess material flapping around my waist.

I wouldn't go as far as having shirts tailored like Chez and I definitely wouldn't be seen dead in one of those blue shirts with white collars, sorry Ant. Belongs with the Windsor knot, pinstripe suit, pinkie ring brigade. I didn't put you down as a public school boy.

In the rare event I wear a tie, it's skinny with a school boy knot.

Pocket handkerchiefs are hideous. Pocket squares on the other hand are perfectly acceptable.

Here endeth the sartorial lesson.

Nothing wrong with a full windsor at special occasions and with the right tie, but 1/2 windsor is fine for day-to-day.

Nothing wrong with a full windsor at special occasions and with the right tie, but 1/2 windsor is fine for day-to-day.

No, nothing wrong with a Windsor - as long as you don't mind looking like a footballer from the noughties with the oversized tie knots - or a city boy wanker.

No, nothing wrong with a Windsor - as long as you don't mind looking like a footballer from the noughties with the oversized tie knots - or a city boy wanker.

Wrong sized ties. Skinny tie with a full windsor looks symmetrical and not oversized, perfick for a wedding.

:jesuswept:

Think I preferred the mumsnet craic to the Jeff Banks craic.

Finger on the designer pulse there mind.