McClaren, Laudrup, Carvs, The tea lady?

Howay

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bloke who got a huge club like Boro to a European final and won the dutch league with massive FC Twente, he must be shite.....

Best appointment under Ashley if its made in my view.

If it's to be McLaren there's not much anyone can do about it other than be pleased, angry, or just don't give a shit one way or the other.

Personally I don't think McLaren is much of an improvement in caliber as opposed to Pardew. He would certainly not be an inspirational signing we would all like, but certainly an improvement over Carver.

Being sacked by Derby Co. speaks for itself, and his fame at Boro came from Cup runs not Premier league positions.

Let's face it, the reality is that whoever it is will have to be somewhat of a puppet.

Christ I didn't think Ryder could have any less credibility. This is a man upset because John fucking Carver isn't getting the job, lashing out in horrifically formed sentences at the bloke who might.

What a tosser.

I think McClaren will do a steady job tbf, and I think he probably is Ashley's best appointment (the Keegan experiment notwithstanding). We might actually see a team that look well coached which would be unprecedented in the Ashley era.

There's nothing childish about anticipating an underwhelming appointment. It's more petulant of you to dismiss it out of hand, frankly, especially given it's a prediction based on us failing to appoint anyone exciting in recent years under Ashley.

We've done this to death already but the consensus definitely seems to be that Ashley isn't about to buck the recent trend and hire one of the exciting young continental managers you are so sure we'll go for.

It was obvious we were never going to go for anyone like Garde, man. McClaren is a good effort by Ashley's standards. I was anticipating someone potentially much worse

Fuck me this is exhausting.

I don't doubt Ashley will now appoint McClaren. My point is that fucking loads of good quality, exciting coaches would be interested in the Newcastle job. Something that Trooper says is impossible. Of course there are coaches interested in the job. It's never been about attracting coaches to the club, it's the club being interested enough in them to pay the wage or employ their choice of backroom staff.

We're not going for McClaren because of a lack of interested options. We're going for McClaren because Lee Charnley is shit scared of making a decision.

fwiw I think Ashley would go for Garde, Galtier etc. but Charnley would rather defer to Carr or whomever, instead of having a punt on Vieira.

Edited by The Fish

Fuck me this is exhausting.

I don't doubt Ashley will now appoint McClaren. My point is that fucking loads of good quality, exciting coaches would be interested in the Newcastle job. Something that Trooper says is impossible. Of course there are coaches interested in the job. It's never been about attracting coaches to the club, it's the club being interested enough in them to pay the wage or employ their choice of backroom staff.

We're not going for McClaren because of a lack of interested options. We're going for McClaren because Lee Charnley is shit scared of making a decision.

fwiw I think Ashley would go for Garde, Galtier etc. but Charnley would rather defer to Carr or whomever, instead of having a punt on Vieira.

You're dismissing perfectly valid and consensus-based opinions as petulant. You're the tiring one on here - the volume of your posts and the number of words of yours I end up reading on here daily is exhausting.

Good coaches might fancy a club the size of newcastle but are unlikely to want to work for Ashley. This has never changed. We couldn't even convince Vieria man, what makes you think someone like Garde would fancy it?

Anyway, your confident claim that we'll get Garde or someone similar sounds just as ridiculous now as it did when you first made it.

You're dismissing perfectly valid and consensus-based opinions as petulant. You're the tiring one on here - the volume of your posts and the number of words of yours I end up reading on here daily is exhausting.

Good coaches might fancy a club the size of newcastle but are unlikely to want to work for Ashley. This has never changed. We couldn't even convince Vieria man, what makes you think someone like Garde would fancy it?

Anyway, your confident claim that we'll get Garde or someone similar sounds just as ridiculous now as it did when you first made it.

How's your claim that we're going down looking? :cuppa:

You're conflating nobody being interested with Charnley being incapable of getting it "over the line".

We're among the biggest eight clubs in the biggest league in the world. I don't know how to put this but we're kinda a big deal.

Christ I didn't think Ryder could have any less credibility. This is a man upset because John fucking Carver isn't getting the job, lashing out in horrifically formed sentences at the bloke who might.

What a tosser.

I think McClaren will do a steady job tbf, and I think he probably is Ashley's best appointment (the Keegan experiment notwithstanding). We might actually see a team that look well coached which would be unprecedented in the Ashley era.

Hilarious tone to that piece :lol:

Why's he so down on Schteve? It can't be because his mate Carver is out of the running, surely :lol:

I don't recall him greeting the Pardew appointment with such gloom, and he left more clubs under a cloud than McClaren has.

Pehaps he's been talking to Fish and was fully expecting Garde.

Edited by Dr Gloom

We're among the biggest eight clubs in the biggest league in the world. I don't know how to put this but we're kinda a big deal.

A big deal with cancer, aye.

The perverse thing about all of the candidates doing the rounds in the press is the differences between them all.

Either nobody outside of the club knows what sort of manager the club wants, what the vision is for Newcastle, or there is no vision and the club are just looking for somebody cheap who will work with the existing coaching staff.

We've apparently looked at British managers aged 50 and over that failed elsewhere (Moyes, McClaren, Hoddle, Carver) who have a range of Premier league experience from barely any to over a decade. But also interested in a 50+ continental coach with Premier League experience (Laudrup).

There's continental up and comers who've shown talent in other leagues (Garde, Tuchel, Galtier, De Boer, Gourvennec) and young lower league managers without any top flight experience whatsoever (Karanka, Howe).

There's people who have never managed before with a range of coaching experience from little to decades (Vieira, Clement).

Even if this was all paper talk over the past 6 months, we're now told we're interviewing 4 people. Vieira, a young foreign coach with no first team management experience whatsoever, a prospect rather than a "safe pair of hands". But also McClaren, who would become one of the oldest managers in the league, with a wealth of experience but none of the excitement about what potential he could have. Laudrup and Garde only add to the differences between candidates in terms of the direction Newcastle would take as a result, before you even look at the variation in playing styles.

Where I would have been excited about some of these appointments in January, or even sooner after the season ended, the longer the charade goes on and the rudderlessness of the club is exposed the more despondent I get over the impact ANYONE will have when appointed.

The club is, and will remain, a shambles.

....owned by one of the biggest cunts in the game and run on a shoestring. We couldn't even attract Man City's reserve coach. Big club, undoubtedly, but I don't see us getting anyone better than McClaren, never have. Tbf, he's a very good appointment by Ashley's standards. But it's unwise to expect anyone better just because we're a big club playing in a big league.

The day Ashley brings in someone like Garde, I'll be the first to tip my hat and admit I was wrong.

Edited by Dr Gloom

....owned by one of the biggest cunts in the game and run on a shoestring. We couldn't even attract Man City's reserve coach. Big club, undoubtedly, but I don't see us getting anyone better than McClaren, never have. Tbf, he's a very good appointment by Ashley's standards. But it's unwise to expect anyone better just because we're a big club playing in a big league.

The day Ashley brings in someone like Garde, I'll be the first to tip my hat and admit I was wrong.

Who says we couldn't attract Vieria? Maybe it was the club who knocked him back.

We do offer something that is very attractive to managers - job security. Despite the shit that Pardew got from all corners he never appeared to be at serious risk of losing his job.

How's your claim that we're going down looking? :cuppa:

You're conflating nobody being interested with Charnley being incapable of getting it "over the line".

It looked pretty likely for a while before you eventually agreed with it :lol:

Nah, fair play on that. You've for some thick skin for sticking to your guns for so long while taking a such a pasting on here.

I think you're entirely wrong about this though. All the evidence points to someone like McClaren, at best.

To add to HF's point, there's a pretty sorry looking squad here thats needs desperate attention pending the resolution of this messed up coach hunt. Not that getting everyone in and settled well in time for the new season would help..:rolleyes:

McClaren's record in the Premier League with a well-funded (for the time and their position) Boro:

CGj8QisW8AI3VWS.png

Roughly the same as Chris Coleman at Fulham.

I will say that there are some good players at this club who've suffered due to terrible coaching and McClaren is, at the very least, widely recognised as a very good coach.

Edited by The Fish