Percy Sledge

Gemmill

Dead at 73 from liver cancer.

RIP

It's weird cos, not being around at the time, you get an idea of these blokes singing their classic songs as older men, but he was early to mid 20s pumping out classics.

Edited by Gemmill

Dead at 73 from liver cancer.

RIP

It's weird cos, not being around at the time, you get an idea of these blokes singing their classic songs as older men, but he was early to mid 20s pumping out classics.

Assumed he was already dead. RIP

• 2 weeks later...

I knew someone who was playing bass with Ben E King a few years ago and said the bloke was great. Used to pay for all their dinners and drinks after gigs and could tell a good story. Maybe he's clocked the credit card bill from all that and faked his own death.

Ben E King gone the journey too :rip:

These things always come in threes. Wonder when the next soul legend everyone already thought was dead will pop his clogs.

Theres a family from our village made up of 11 brothers and two sisters...all the elder brothers formed a very good band and in the 70s they appeared on New Faces (Simon Cowell basically ripped this off kids) and were in demand as session players and as a tour support/backing act . They were at my uncle's wedding sometime in the mid 70s in Northampton the same day as they were backing Ben E King at Batley WMC in Yorkshire in the evening....think the story goes they got up and started drinking a lot more than would be advisable or indeed legal even back then, went to the wedding, had a few afternoon liveners, then reluctantly started loading their gear and more beer into their decrepit transit for the journey up to Yorkshire, the van wouldnt start so my other uncle (trained mechanic) had to fix it in his bestman suit :lol: They eventually arrived at the gig and fell of the van and proceeded to set up in front of the incredulous soul legend and obviously went on to produce a note perfect set for the man who they all agreed was a musical genius and a thouroughly decent gent too :D

Errol Brown too...sad times... :(

:lol:

My gran used to be a club singer and went on Opportunity Knocks. She came second to a fucking talking dog which must have been something of a kick in the tits. :lol:

:lol: poor gran....do you know what sort of dog it was?...

I don't. :lol: I've always wanted to contact ITV and see if I could get a copy of it for her, but never did. They've probably deleted it anyway.