Terrorism

aimaad22

Doesn't even register on what "we've" been doing in the Middle East for how long?

And I share your feeling that this hits home way more.

/bog trotting terrorist sympathiser

What does UK Middle East policy have to do with some deranged cunt opening fire on innocent people in a German shopping centre?

"We assume it's a terror attack so that can ensure maximum resources and measures. If it turns out that there is a completely different background to this, then we certainly mobilised a lot of resources but we had a worst-case scenario covered."

What will determine if it's a "terror attack" and how will that determine whether the response was proportionate?

Surely you react to 9 people being shot by 3 or more people the same way, regardless of the motivations of the attackers. You pull out all the stops to capture them.

What does UK Middle East policy have to do with some deranged cunt opening fire on innocent people in a German shopping centre?

I'm saying what we in the West are experiencing now is a tiny fraction of what's been delivered on other countries in recent years, and it puts in perspective the human suffering caused on our watch.

The entire Iraq war probably didn't affect me as much as recent events, don't know about you/others.

"We assume it's a terror attack so that can ensure maximum resources and measures. If it turns out that there is a completely different background to this, then we certainly mobilised a lot of resources but we had a worst-case scenario covered."

What will determine if it's a "terror attack" and how will that determine whether the response was proportionate?

Surely you react to 9 people being shot by 3 or more people the same way, regardless of the motivations of the attackers. You pull out all the stops to capture them.

I'd assume they're making a fairly blanket statement and you're analysing it to death personally, for some unknown reason. Wait and see.

I'd assume they're making a fairly blanket statement and you're analysing it to death personally, for some unknown reason. Wait and see.

I'm advocating wait and see. Ideaology (if any) irrelevent right now. Just shocked that an ongoing attack has to be labelled terrorism to qualify for a fully resourced response.

I'm advocating wait and see. Ideaology (if any) irrelevent right now. Just shocked that an ongoing attack has to be labelled terrorism to qualify for a fully resourced response.

Again, I don't get your point. Whoever has done it, it is an act of terrorism and I'm sure the authorities there are following their protocols for this kind do of incident, including media releases.

I think it's probably fairly obvious which group/religion/cause* is probably responsible but I'll keep an open mind for now.

*Edit: btw, if this is right wing white extremists working together, it's probably even more frightening.

Edited by Renton

Three gunmen one dead. Austrian army mobilized to seal border which isn't that far away. Possible right wing group/sympathies.

Gunman said to a stranger he was born in Germany etc...

Edited by Park Life

Again, I don't get your point. Whoever has done it, it is an act of terrorism and I'm sure the authorities there are following their protocols for this kind do of incident, including media releases.

I think it's probably fairly obvious which group/religion/cause is probably responsible but I'll keep an open mind for now.

So if it's a couple of kids like Columbine it's terrorism?

My point is the quote suggests protocols are dictated by the ideaology of the attackers rather than the nature of the attack. Which seems bonkers. Whatever their cause/malfunction you wouldn't think there would be any possibility of under resourcing the manhunt for cunts like this.

So if it's a couple of kids like Columbine it's terrorism?

My point is the quote suggests protocols are dictated by the ideaology of the attackers rather than the nature of the attack. Which seems bonkers. Whatever their cause/malfunction you wouldn't think there would be any possibility of under resourcing the manhunt for cunts like this.

All guess work of course, but I think they probably have a master plan in place for a city wide terrorist attack (such as shutting down transport and what units they call up), which is different to a lone wolf random nutter.

It's quite possible that the "German" filmed with the gun was on his own and killed himself at the scene. News reports also suggested "witnesses" could be mistaking plain clothes police with rifles as "other suspects".

It's horrible regardless.

The German security apparatus is as good as any in Europe and a lot better than most. They also have a lot more info than they are letting out as it is protocol not to inform any part of a terror cell what is actually happening.

Edited by Park Life

The lone teenager who shot dead nine people and injured 27 others in Munich had researched school killing sprees.

They added that he had likely been in psychiatric care and there were indicators he had been treated for depression.

The gunman, who has been named locally as Ali Sonboly, is also said to have researched mass-casualty attacks and had an obsession with shooting sprees like the massacre five years ago by Norwegian rightwing fanatic Anders Behring Breivik.

Officials said the searches had revealed no links to Islamic State, and suggested the attack was unlikely to have been motivated by Islamist extremism. They said they had found newspaper clippings and books related to killing sprees, one of which was believed to be a textbook called Why Kids Kill: Inside the Minds of School Shooters.

Police spokesman Peter Beck said officials dont yet know what triggered the crime but that there was no clear political motivation.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/23/munich-shooting-teenage-gunman-researched-killing-sprees-no-isis-links

My Columbine comment looks closer to the mark than I had expected.

Boris totally fucks up his first speech rushing to conclusions

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/munich-attack-terrorism-gunman-boris-johnson-read-united-nations-a7151801.html

Hardly. At the time of the speech the police were looking for three shooters so, "Very likely a terrorist attack" was an appropriate remark.

The police looking for three shooters is one thing. They were in the middle of a very confused, desperate search. A politician standing up and talking horseshit off the back of it is another thing entirely.

The police looking for three shooters is one thing. They were in the middle of a very confused, desperate search. A politician standing up and talking horseshit off the back of it is another thing entirely.

He was at the UN giving a press conference and got asked about. Nowt wrong with his reply. Pure Tory Bashing :(

Not sure HF will agree it is relevant to this thread, but the latest suicide bombing in Germany (thankfully the only fatality being himself) is a concern considering he was a Syrian asylum seeker. Will play right into the hands of parties like AfD I would imagine. Troubling times for Germany and France.

CT defending Boris for talking shit about something he knew fuck all about?....what's the old saying?.... "Birds of a feather"... ;)

:lol: Pure fatty bashing

Not sure HF will agree it is relevant to this thread, but the latest suicide bombing in Germany (thankfully the only fatality being himself) is a concern considering he was a Syrian asylum seeker. Will play right into the hands of parties like AfD I would imagine. Troubling times for Germany and France.

:lol:

Let's go with what the investigators say in each case... in this instance..

Ansbach deputy police chief Roman Fertinger said there were "indications" that pieces of metal had been added to the explosive device.

"The obvious intention to kill more people indicates an Islamist connection," Mr Hermann said.

Ignoring his logic (it's flawed because nail bombs have been used by the IRA, neo Nazi's, hooligans & communists to maximise the impact, it's not something unique to muslims at all) he has at least made the Islamist link that was completely absent and being played down in the Munich case.

:lol:

Let's go with what the investigators say in each case... in this instance..

Ignoring his logic (it's flawed because nail bombs have been used by the IRA, neo Nazi's, hooligans & communists to maximise the impact, it's not something unique to muslims at all) he has at least made the Islamist link that was completely absent and being played down in the Munich case.

None of those groups blow themselves up though do they? I suppose you might want to argue he's a stray Tamil tiger or a lost kamikaze....... :D

Being serious, do you think his Syrian refugee status is a concern?

None of those groups blow themselves up though do they? I suppose you might want to argue he's a stray Tamil tiger or a lost kamikaze....... :D

Being serious, do you think his Syrian refugee status is a concern?

Agreed, the suicide bombing is a better indicator. Not sure they have their best man on the job in Ansbach.

It's clearly a concern, makes it all the more important to maintain the case that muslims, christians, atheists and right minded people of ANY belief are united in opposition against such heinous fucks. Would be disastrous to alienate more of the thousands of Muslims fleeing oppressive Islamists, by telling them that their religion is the root problem with ISIS and by extension they themselves are the major contributing factor.

It sounds like he was tipped into action as he was refused asylum and was to be deported. Could be that he took whatever chance he had at a long planned attack, or that as someone who had twice previously attempted suicide and spent time in a psychiatric facility, he made a snap decision to act rather than go back.