Registas, False nines & Raumdeuters

The Fish

Honestly, and I'm desperately not to sound pretentious or owt, but it's basically a wide player that looks to take advantage of space.

So a ... wide trequartista :cantlook::lol:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For years in the last century the FA didn't want to know as they believed because we invented the game that we knew best. Cite the debacles when we played Hungary in the 50s or even after winning the World Cup.

Or just not bothering with FIFA & ignoring the World Cup for 20 years as we thought we we're the best anyway.

I've just finished reading 'The Football Man' by Arthur Hopcraft - written in 1968 he basically tries to canvas British football culture up to that point & does a good job. Even 2 years after winning the World Cup he knew we were getting left behind. If anything Ramsey's pragmatism & risk cutting became a blueprint for English managers & it's probably a fair comment to call it restrictive.

Basically we are suffering the same problems we always have - the F.A is full of clueless old men & any developments cited for the future seem utterly rubbish - England DNA?

I think you could say the England team probably have similar problems or worse than say ten years ago. Look how quick the German's turned it round - obviously they are of a greater footballing pedigree mind....

The football landscape has been skewed so radically by money since the late 60s though that it makes comparison very difficult. The FA is now a huge corporate entity rather than how you accurately describe it back then. I think the overriding reason why England don't do well at international level is the strength of club culture in this country. There are a thousand and one "technical" reasons too, but we've got a higher concentration of professional clubs than anywhere else in the world. Clubs that would be part time anywhere else in Europe populate the bottom two divisions and the Vanarama premier is also basically a wholly professional division 5. The FA's chief focus has always been these clubs rather than the national team.

That is changing, but as you pointed out when the Germans performed so poorly in Euro 2000 they could change their system very quickly because their culture us geared towards the success of the national team. The German clubs' (I think only the top two divisions are full time professional?) academies are basically offshoots of the German FA rather than run by the clubs,for the clubs. Can't see that changing very quickly in this country tbh.

Edited by PaddockLad

The football landscape has been skewed so radically by money since the late 60s though that it makes comparison very difficult. The FA is now a huge corporate entity rather than how you accurately describe it back then. I think the overriding reason why England don't do well at international level is the strength of club culture in this country. There are a thousand and one "technical" reasons too, but we've got a higher concentration of professional clubs than anywhere else in the world. Clubs that would be part time anywhere else in Europe populate the bottom two divisions and the Vanarama premier is also basically a wholly professional division 5. The FA's chief focus has always been these clubs rather than the national team.

That is changing, but as you pointed out when the Germans performed so poorly in Euro 2000 they could change their system very quickly because their culture us geared towards the success of the national team. The German clubs' (I think only the top two divisions are full time professional?) academies are basically offshoots of the German FA rather than run by the clubs,for the clubs. Can't see that changing very quickly in this country tbh.

As you say the football culture in Germany is a little different, there is a lot invested in the national team and it is a kind of flagship so when they did poorly for a few years the radical overhaul was carried out in frenetic fashion and part of that was making the clubs more responsible. There is a kind of player production line here and many less foreign players clogging that up than we have in England.

The Germans also started looking further a field to Poland/Eastern Europe (for talent and passports were made available) and also increasing participation of Turkish youth in German football even to the extent of bypassing German 'blood' laws (which only changed 4/5 years ago) ie Turks born in Germany weren't automatically able to get German passports (not something much debated in the EU).

We are about a decade behind and we will remain so untill PL clubs are brought into line and teams aren't put out with 10 non Eng qualifyied players every w/e. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

Thing is, thats the same sort of function on the pitch as Ronaldo and Bale but obviously all three play the role completely differently. I think attacking positions as I understood them 20 years ago are pretty much redundant now, everybody needs to be so much more flexible and innovative. A modern attacker has to have quite a few strings to his bow to be top class.

I'd never heard the term before Fish put it in the title of this thread :lol:

Wheres @@Meenzer when you need him for a translation?..

I'm back at work tomorrow morning after a week off, don't make me come back on duty early man. :razz: Raumdeuter is literally an "interpreter of space" :wank: which apparently you can get away with describing yourself as if you're German. Imagine if an Arsenal player tried it. :lol:

Thing is, thats the same sort of function on the pitch as Ronaldo and Bale but obviously all three play the role completely differently. I think attacking positions as I understood them 20 years ago are pretty much redundant now, everybody needs to be so much more flexible and innovative. A modern attacker has to have quite a few strings to his bow to be top class.

Totally agree.

Although because of that it's a shame that your classic goal hanger (Romario, Van Nistelrooy as two examples) has pretty much become redundant now at the top level.