Registas, False nines & Raumdeuters

The Fish

Aye thats fair enough, because there's a term that already exists. Yet surely if we haven't a term for the position (like trequartista or regista) it's fine to use a term that exists?

We do it with schadenfreude?

What position did Robert Lee play?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What position did Robert Lee play?

Depends, when Batty was here Lee had more license to attack and played with one eye on the forward pass, pre-Batty, Lee helped out more in defence covering more of the pitch. Also, when Keegan was trying to juggle Beardsley, Ferdinand, Shearer, Ginola he'd perform a more disciplined role. Always thought Rob Lee was a prototype for players like Gerrard and Lampard in the English game.

I'd say he was a box-to-box player until Batty allowed him to play more as a deep lying playmaker.

What's your point?

:lol:

No, I don't think so. There's plenty of ex-pros who use the terms, and I'm assuming that these terms originate in the game and filter out to the masses? In much the same way as there'll be terms in music, cinema or politics that eventually filter out to the public and become part of our everyday use?

It was a rhetorical question ;)

Depends, when Batty was here Lee had more license to attack and played with one eye on the forward pass, pre-Batty, Lee helped out more in defence covering more of the pitch. Also, when Keegan was trying to juggle Beardsley, Ferdinand, Shearer, Ginola he'd perform a more disciplined role. Always thought Rob Lee was a prototype for players like Gerrard and Lampard in the English game.

I'd say he was a box-to-box player until Batty allowed him to play more as a deep lying playmaker.

What's your point?

Lee always had licence to get forward more because he had players like Bracewell, Venison or Lee Clark playing a deeper role before Batty arrived. He certainly didn't become more attack minded once Batty arrived.

Lee always had licence to get forward more because he had players like Bracewell, Venison or Lee Clark playing a deeper role before Batty arrived. He certainly didn't become more attack minded once Batty arrived.

I definitely saw a greater attacking intent from him after Batty, but I think we're getting away from the point of the question.

Is it really wanky to use terms that best describe that which you're trying to describe? Schadenfreude, Film Noir, Trip-Hop?

Portuguese/Brazilian term. refers to he who is "in the hole".According to "inverting the pyramid" anyways..

It's all bollocks really, just kids trying to be cool iyam...

It's Italian actually. :cuppa:

Bollocks.

:dunno: I did, but frankly it's irrelevant. Gemmil didn't rate Robert, I did, essembee didn't rate Janmaat everyone else does. That's opinion, the point of this isn't to argue over whether Rob Lee was more or less attacking, is it?

I definitely saw a greater attacking intent from him after Batty, but I think we're getting away from the point of the question.

Would that have been around the time he didn't score for about 3 months? ;)

:lol:

I'm not certain that football has moved on that dramatically, but I think the public's appetite for it has. It used to be the case that Match of the Day was your sole source of football... Hell it used to be the case that people only got to know what hapened in a game by reading the fucking paper.

Yet now, there's an unbelievable consumption of football, and it doesn't sate the demand. There's rolling 24hr sports "news" the majority of which is about football, there are websites and radio stations, social media and even message boards ;)

People spend hours talking about the game and as the information available increases in breadth and depth, so too must the vocabulary. It's not enough to say that Messi is a forward, because so is Cisse or Peter Crouch, and they're very different players, playing very different positions in very different roles. Yet in the 80s Messi would have been called a tricky little forward and you'd be forgiven to expect him to play like Shane Long.

Fish mate, it sounds like your hanging out with wankers who talk shite to sound cool. I've just asked this lad I work with what a regista is, to explain he's a 36 year old ex semi pro player who's a qualified coach and he didn't have a fuckin clue what I was on about. Hes. forgotten more about football than you and i will ever know. He doesn't talk to his youth team players like that because as I said it's not part of the football vocabulary in this country for the vast majority of players and supporters.

Fish mate, it sounds like your hanging out with wankers who talk shite to sound cool. I've just asked this lad I work with what a regista is, to explain he's a 36 year old ex semi pro player who's a qualified coach and he didn't have a fuckin clue what I was on about. Hes. forgotten more about football than you and i will ever know. He doesn't talk to his youth team players like that because as I said it's not part of the football vocabulary in this country for the vast majority of players and supporters.

Football isn't an English only game though. People are watching La Liga, Serie A and the German league is definitely getting more popular.

If English football is affected by foreign players and coaches, isn't it reasonable to accept changes to vocabulary?

I'm certain your mate used phrases that someone from the previous generation didn't. "Six second rule"?