Question(s) of the Day 20/11/2014

The Fish

We have Ameobi, Colback, Dummett, the Taylors and Williamson around the 1st team

Do foreign players damage the league?

And who would be in your all English 11?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't damage the league but the national team might be better off if it was easier to get into competitive matches a little easier without having to drop down the leagues, though there are greater issues for national football to resolve at the grassroots of the game.

All english just for us? of all time? currently playing?

They don't damage the league but the national team might be better off if it was easier to get into competitive matches a little easier without having to drop down the leagues, though there are greater issues for national football to resolve at the grassroots of the game.

All english just for us? of all time? currently playing?

Currently playing.

That's the argument most commonly leveled against the high number of foreigners in the league but a quick glance at England's tournament record pre-PL shows that the country wasn't exactly regularly reaching finals and SFs of the WC or EC when the league did largely consist of home grown players.

That's the argument most commonly leveled against the high number of foreigners in the league but a quick glance at England's tournament record pre-PL shows that the country wasn't exactly regularly reaching finals and SFs of the WC or EC when the league did largely consist of home grown players.

Well exactly, like I said there are far deeper problems.

England 11 would pretty much be the same as the current one tbh.

I agree and I'd add to that by saying for me, the issue isn't the Premier League buying foreign players, it's the FA not providing the same kind of youth coaching that you see in the countries from which football clubs end up buying these players.

That famous coaching stat, comparing the number of qualified coaches in England to those in Germany, France, Spain etc. is the problem, not the Premier League.

Another Question, does Mackay getting his job prove that Chairmen are blind to everything but success? Weirdly Mackay's offensive tweets, while racist and sexist, actually show there's no need for the Rooney rule?

Dave Whelans a bellend, always has been always will be. I don't think it proves anything more than that tbh.

The Rooney rule annoys me, its an exercise in box ticking and nothing more, if a person doesn't want to hire another person because of the colour of their skin then having to interview them won't change their mind and there are always a thousand reasons you can claim you didn't hire someone if you just don't want to.

Aye, as has been mooted recently, the effort should be to get more minorities into coaching at higher levels and use that as a springboard to encourage today's black players to go into coaching/management.

Dummett's Welsh ;)

Most of the conversations about this have included Welsh, Scottish, Northern and Republic Irish. I figured if I left him out some pernickety bellwhiff would moan on.

How wrong I was ;)

The billions swimming around the premier league ensure that the best young talent from around the planet is easier to tempt to this country. Germany and Spain don't have that sort of income at their slightly more mid table clubs so they have to produce decent youngsters. Enriquez springs to mind here, a fullly formed young player who was an established pick at his club, the irony being that his signing prevented the same thing happening here. It's money that has distorted the system in this country.

If you sat in the stands at Wigan on a match day and shouted some of the stuff that McKay put in his texts to his mate then you'd be removed from your seat and banned. It's ridiculous that he's been given a job but not surprising seeing as it's Whelan. The local MP wrote to him saying please don't consider McKay for the job and was promptly told she didn't understand as she wasnt local to Wigan. Twat.

The billions swimming around the premier league ensure that the best young talent from around the planet is easier to tempt to this country. Germany and Spain don't have that sort of income at their slightly more mid table clubs so they have to produce decent youngsters. Enriquez springs to mind here, a fullly formed young player who was an established pick at his club, the irony being that his signing prevented the same thing happening here. It's money that has distorted the system in this country.

If you sat in the stands at Wigan on a match day and shouted some of the stuff that McKay put in his texts to his mate then you'd be removed from your seat and banned. It's ridiculous that he's been given a job but not surprising seeing as it's Whelan. The local MP wrote to him saying please don't consider McKay for the job and was promptly told she didn't understand as she wasnt local to Wigan. Twat.

Surprisingly I think the more even distribution of TV money (compared to the Spanish) means that smaller clubs will flood their team with cheap imports from abroad. However, I maintain that the FA needs to pump millions into the coaching of the young footballers. We don't have to play the Spanish way, nor the German, just a system that encourages technique, control and composure.

Interesting, although I'm not quite in agreement that england have not deteriorated since the three foreigners rule, I seem to think they were in the quarter/semi finals of competitions more often. I also think a lot of english players are made to look better than they actually are due to the quality around them .

But, yeah, as paddock said money's screwed the league. It's testament to the power of marketing that we say we have such a great league when, in reality there's so little competition,

I don't remember seeing much of a debate on here about Ched Evans but the main argument by people in favour of him being allowed to resume his career is that he's served his time and should now be allowed to make a life for himself using his marketable abilities (being a pro footballer). If that's the case for him then surely it must follow that McKay be allowed to resume his own career. I know it's slightly different in that McKay's faced no punishment (not sure whether there is any legal punishment he could face) other than being sacked, but people make mistakes and people are bellends but should that stop them from ever being able to make a career for themselves again? If they can't what is society to do with them? Let them live on beneifts for the rest of their lives?

Obviously I'm not arguing that Whelan isn't a twat as he clearly is.

I don't remember seeing much of a debate on here about Ched Evans but the main argument by people in favour of him being allowed to resume his career is that he's served his time and should now be allowed to make a life for himself using his marketable abilities (being a pro footballer). If that's the case for him then surely it must follow that McKay be allowed to resume his own career. I know it's slightly different in that McKay's faced no punishment (not sure whether there is any legal punishment he could face) other than being sacked, but people make mistakes and people are bellends but should that stop them from ever being able to make a career for themselves again? If they can't what is society to do with them? Let them live on beneifts for the rest of their lives?

Mackay is still under investigation.

Stupid texts to a mate versus rqaping a girl?

With regards to the original question, do the foreign players being brought in stop the game time and therefore development of domestic young players, or are they brought here because are own aren't good enough in the first place? I think we've just fallen behind other countries in our coaching which has resulted in less good players too. Various social factors are probably also to blame. When I was a bairn I played football every day on the school field or in the street. Now you don't see anywhere near the same amount of bairns playing football for various reasons (fields being closed off, more cars on the streets, parents being frightened of letting their children play out or kids wanting to spend more time on xbox's and ps4's than actually getting out and doing things for real). Again I'm not sure this is happening in other countries as much as it is here.

Stupid texts to a mate versus rqaping a girl?

Clearly they aren't comparable crimes but that's kind of my point. If people are prepared to say Evans should be allowed to resume his career after what he has been convicted of, then McKay getting a new job should be no issue at all. At worst he's a prick really but I'm sure we've all worked with some right arseholes before and them not being nice people isn't a reason to stop them working.

Clearly they aren't comparable crimes but that's kind of my point. If people are prepared to say Evans should be allowed to resume his career after what he has been convicted of, then McKay getting a new job should be no issue at all. At worst he's a prick really but I'm sure we've all worked with some right arseholes before and them not being nice people isn't a reason to stop them working.

Sorry got the wrong end of the stick

Anyone who thinks Evans should be able to play football again should have their vote removed tbh.

McKay still hasn't been found guilty of anything I guess.