Question(s) of the Day 18/11/2014

The Fish

Not feeling particularly creative today so; Who is/was your most over-rated Newcastle player during your time?

Any of you bellends says Shola and I'll take a hammer to you; Oldboy style.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye Andrews nailed it :good:

Shearer. There I said it. 2 top class seasons in 8. If you look at it properly there's two things you can say, he didn't often receive the best service, but sometimes when he did he was found wanting. Also injuries paid a part too...but I think he became a bit ofa flat track bully at the end, aided and abbetted by a weak chairman who indulged his desire to break Milburns record in lieu of actually winning something for the club/fans in pre "big 4/5/6" times.

I also think Gullit had a point when he basically said it was difficult to have success when there was a cult around one player who was the most powerful man at the club. Very good for us, undeniable. But put the sentimentality of turning Manu down aside, and for me we shouldn't attatch as much importance to him as we do.

i was going to say shearer too. obviously he was a brilliant goal scorer for us, but after his first couple of seasons he never regained the form he showed at blackburn, when he was truly world class.

Aye Andrews nailed it :good:

Shearer. There I said it. 2 top class seasons in 8. If you look at it properly there's two things you can say, he didn't often receive the best service, but sometimes when he did he was found wanting. Also injuries paid a part too...but I think he became a bit ofa flat track bully at the end, aided and abbetted by a weak chairman who indulged his desire to break Milburns record in lieu of actually winning something for the club/fans in pre "big 4/5/6" times.

I also think Gullit had a point when he basically said it was difficult to have success when there was a cult around one player who was the most powerful man at the club. Very good for us, undeniable. But put the sentimentality of turning Manu down aside, and for me we shouldn't attatch as much importance to him as we do.

I think injuries played a massive part with Shearer. As we only really got one season out of the player that we bought after that day at Goodison. :(

he did adapt his game and was always a great goal scorer but his his lack of mobility in his later years for us did impact how he played, we became pretty one dimensional and he wasn't really as dangerous without bellamy alongside him dragging defenders around and making room for him. agree about the sentimentality thing too.

I think injuries played a massive part with Shearer. As we only really got one season out of the player that we bought after that day at Goodison. :(

yes. he was still a great player, but he wasn't that same player again after he did his ankle.

some of the videos of him at blackburn, he was unbelievable. power, pace, finishing. best striker in the world at that stage.

Edited by Dr Gloom

I can't agree with that. I think his performances were generally above the players around him, he spent a lot of his career with us surrounded by a paucity of top class players and had to try and work with the likes of Silvio Maric. He suffered pretty shocking injuries and still went on to become the League's and Newcastle's top striker.

I kind of get where you're coming from, his ego did get in the way at times, but I'd argue that was when the man pulling the strings wasn't up to Shearer's standard. You never heard of him falling out with Sir Bob, because Sir Bobby was getting results. Gullit and his ilk did not.

Not from a Newcastle supporter's perspective but I think Shearer the footballer was underrated by the general public. As people tended to think of him as some sort of uncultured battering ram. His touch was absurd, can't remember him ever miscontrolling a pass or a high ball lobbed to him. His passing and crossing was always first class as well. Don't think he gets anywhere near the credit he should for the technical side of his game from other fans.

i love shearer like but i do think we all over rated him because of the fact he bombed man u to join us and the fact he stayed with us all those years despite how shite we were. there's no doubt he wasn't the same player for us that we signed from blackburn for more than a season or so though.

shame he didn't have someone like bellamy playing alongside him for the duration of his time. he gave him a new lease of life. it was a smart move by SBR to get someone in to do his running for him and create space for him int he box, as he was still the one of the best finishers of his time. he never lost that.

Not from a Newcastle supporter's perspective but I think Shearer the footballer was underrated by the general public. As people tended to think of him as some sort of uncultured battering ram. His touch was absurd, can't remember him ever miscontrolling a pass or a high ball lobbed to him. His passing and crossing was always first class as well. Don't think he gets anywhere near the credit he should for the technical side of his game from other fans.

Me and a mate were talking about this a few days ago. Shearer is like Beckham in that he perfected his art by sheer force of will and hours and hours of practise. He wasn't born with the ability to ghost past players with a drop of the shoulder and a Beardsley shuffle so he grafted at what he loved. Arguably those who get to the top because of that should get greater credit than those who achieve greatness by virtue of some twist of fate, but I suppose that's an argument for another day.

i love shearer like but i do think we all over rated him because of the fact he bombed man u to join us and the fact he stayed with us all those years despite how shite we were. there's no doubt he wasn't the same player for us that we signed from blackburn for more than a season or so though.

shame he didn't have someone like bellamy playing alongside him for the duration of his time. he gave him a new lease of life. it was a smart move by SBR to get someone in to do his running for him and create space for him int he box, as he was still the one of the best finishers of his time. he never lost that.

I honestly don't think of who he turned down as a factor for rating him. I think he was world class when we signed him, then a combination of injuries, team-mates and age dulled his edge. As Jonny says, his technique was ludicrous, and if he'd played at a bigger club he'd be spoken of as, not simply a phenomenal predator, but as an all rounder. The man was like a razor sharp bludgeon.

Similar to Le Tissier in that his loyalty/ego cost him greater regard.

:lol:

I don't think he was over rated in the least.

One of the best, if not the best no.9s we've had, and we've had some very good ones.

The point earlier about his technical ability, gained through sheer hard work and bloody-mindedness, is spot on, so, if anything, he was under rated, since a lot of people think he was just an "old fashioned centre forward".

It'd be interesting to see our points per game stats for when he was out injured, against when he played, HF??

yes. he was still a great player, but he wasn't that same player again after he did his ankle.

some of the videos of him at blackburn, he was unbelievable. power, pace, finishing. best striker in the world at that stage.

185px-Gabriel_batistuta.jpg

Batigol was good, Shearer had an unique celebration without needing to trademark it. Therefore he wins and any argument you make to the contrary will surely be moronic.

185px-Gabriel_batistuta.jpg

batistuta was up there too. but shearer's blackburn stats were ridiculous. we paid a world record price for him for a reason. over 30 goals for three seasons running is mad. and he was that good in his first season for us too. he was still class for us after that, but he was never quite as good as he had been before his ankle injury.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Batigol was good, Shearer had an unique celebration without needing to trademark it. Therefore he wins and any argument you make to the contrary will surely be moronic.

Not remember this like?

batistutaearly.jpg