West Bromwich Albion v Newcastle United

Howmanheyman

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if Pardew has the bottle to play two up top, I'd like to see it if/when this current tactic begins to stall. I think Perez would do really well playing off Riviere as well due to all the knock downs he'd get.

Fucking brilliant at the minute, not one negative about today's performance. Such positive football and finally Pardew come around to playing to our strengths, long may it continue. I think all of the pressure and the unrest made him see the light, that something needed to change. So in that sense the demonstrations were worthwhile.

Not sure if Pardew has the bottle to play two up top, I'd like to see it if/when this current tactic begins to stall. I think Perez would do really well playing off Riviere as well due to all the knock downs he'd get.

if there's anything we've learnt about the Pardew era its that the 4-3-3 seems to work best for him.

Don't think Perez and Cisse are likely to work as a front two.

I thought Cabella and Ameobi both led to too many moves breaking down. But they've both got pace and a trick and had their moments of promise. Both worth persevering with and are good forward options when you're playing on the counter away from home, definitely look better than when Gouffran was in one of those roles. Shame Aarons was crocked.

Dummet looks like a new, slightly improved Williamson.

Abeid looks a step up from the likes of Anita, Gosling and others we've seen in that position in recent seasons.

Does the manager deserve credit for any of this? I'm going to say begrudgingly that yes, he does. Like all of the good spells we've had under Pardew, the footie when we're winning isn't expansive on the edge of your seat stuff - it's organised and compact. And you have to put that down to the coaching. Credit to him for turning it around when it looked like he was dead and buried. I will always wonder what might have been because if he isn't getting the sack after that run, it's likely here's here for the full 8 years. We all know there are better coaches out there but would they come and work for Ashley or would we have ended up with Ron Atkinson?

Edited by Dr Gloom

I was in the car listening to talk sport earlier (I know, I know). Had to turn the radio off before I started swearing at it in front of my bairn when collymore started berating a caller from Newcastle, basically saying we're the only club that call for managers' heads so often and go to the lengths of protests/bed sheets etc.

Don't think Perez and Cisse are likely to work as a front two.

I thought Cabella and Ameobi both led to too many moves breaking down. But they've both got pace and a trick and had their moments of promise. Both worth persevering with and are good forward options when you're playing on the counter away from home, definitely look better than when Gouffran was in one of those roles. Shame Aarons was crocked.

Dummet looks like a new, slightly improved Williamson.

Abeid looks a step up from the likes of Anita, Gosling and others we've seen in that position in recent seasons.

Does the manager deserve credit for any of this? I'm going to say begrudgingly that yes, he does. Like all of the good spells we've had under Pardew, the footie when we're winning isn't expansive on the edge of your seat stuff - it's organised and compact. And you have to put that down to the coaching. Credit to him for turning it around when it looked like he was dead and buried. I will always wonder what might have been because if he isn't getting the sack after that run, it's likely here's here for the full 8 years. We all know there are better coaches out there but would they come and work for Ashley or would we have ended up with Ron Atkinson?

Pardew does deserve some credit. Yes he's been fortunate that the injuries have gifted him a winning formula, but he's done well with them. Defensively especially, which isn't a surprise given it's well known he spends most of his time coaching that aspect of the game.

However most of the credit must go to the players who've seized the opportunity; Obertan, Dummet, but Perez and Abeid especiallly.

If and when Tiote is fit and available, I wonder if Pardew will automatically put him in the starting line-up. If he does, I wonder who will be sacrificed to make room for him, Abeid? Colback? certainly not Sissoko.

With Cabella being dropped from France's national team obviously because of Pardew benching him, I'm sure he will want more playing time to re-install himself. Pardew needs to persevere with him, play him in his best position, and not having him end up another loan player like Mbiwa and BenArfa. He has talent, we know that, and it needs time to be brought out on the pitch, not on the bench.

Perez certainly looks a better prospect than Riviere but he needs to have more balls played to him, but not long balls in the air, he's too lightweight for that. If Pardew plays him as a lone striker he may end up just as ineffectual, like Riviere.

Pardew does deserve some credit. Yes he's been fortunate that the injuries have gifted him a winning formula, but he's done well with them. Defensively especially, which isn't a surprise given it's well known he spends most of his time coaching that aspect of the game.

However most of the credit must go to the players who've seized the opportunity; Obertan, Dummet, but Perez and Abeid especiallly.

Sure, his hand was forced by injuries so he did stumble across a winning lineup by chance but they're definitely playing for him, the sleazy bastard.

Sure, his hand was forced by injuries so he did stumble across a winning lineup by chance but they're definitely playing for him, the sleazy bastard.

Sometimes it's better to be a lucky manager. Even SBR had his moments of fortune which worked out well. Obviously that's not a direct comparison between the two managers.

Edited by Alex

Fantastic result, in a game where I'd feared this run was coming to an end. I'm really enjoying seeing the grit, commitment and passion that has typified our recent displays. We look a solid, organised unit, with more than enough pace and threat on the break. That this mentality has emerged whilst he's forced to use some of our supposed lesser players, has to see Pardew given credit.

Sometimes it's better to be a lucky manager. Even SBR had his moments of fortune which worked out well. Obviously that's not a direct comparison between the two managers.

pardew is average at best but he doesn't appear to have lost the dressing room, which is a good thing. and the least you can see about him is he can occasionally make a side compact, organised and difficult to beat.

agree about SBR. he wasn't a fan of dropping "blue chip" players either, despite how crap they were playing for him.

During our poor run his over organisation negative tactics were to blame. The difference now is injuries have injected some hunger into the side through players that wouldn't be otherwise selected. Fuck Pardew and his purple patch

the problem will come when teams sit back and look to counter against us - i can see qpr doing just that next up - because pardew is fucking clueless at setting up teams to attack. he can make us compact, which is fine when we're winning, but you're right that it does come across as negative when we're losing. he never really seems to have a plan b either. all these wins have come without us dominating the possession stats. it's a simple gameplan of mopping up pressure then counter attacking with pace.

i have to say though that i'm loving this run. celebrating a few wins has brought a lot of cheer back to my saturday and sunday afternoons. yes, our manager is still shit and our owner's a cunt but you have to enjoy these purple patches when they come along otherwise what's the point in bothering?

the problem will come when teams sit back and look to counter against us - i can see qpr doing just that next up - because pardew is fucking clueless at setting up teams to attack. he can make us compact, which is fine when we're winning, but you're right that it does come across as negative when we're losing. he never really seems to have a plan b either. all these wins have come without us dominating the possession stats. it's a simple gameplan of mopping up pressure then counter attacking with pace.

You say that, but West Brom were set up to hit us on the counter. I think we need to improve our use of the ball in the final 3rd, but I think this set up gets the best out of the players we currently have available.