The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mark Butcher is always worth listening to and he has a real bugbear as far as over rates are concerned. He mentioned there was an entire session lost over the first 3 days at Old Trafford. He said, conditions permitting, he’d make them bowl 30 overs per session by making teams stay out on the field. He’d allow that to eat into the lunch / tea interval. It won’t happen but he quite pointed out it would work because it would incentivise not just the bowling and batting side, but also the umpires. If you have to pick a spinner to manage that then that’s what you need to do 

• Like 1

Good to see bazball evolving into bazball with brains as the series has gone on. We’ve gone along at 5 an over today batting aggressively but sensibly and without gifting wickets away 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alex said:

Broad retiring after this match is perfect timing I reckon. 

going out while still on top with Jimmy seemingly continuing

i was lucky enough to see him take 5 for against the Aussies to help us regain the ashes at the oval in 2009. One of those unbelievable spells he reproduced again and again on tne big occasion. A true great of the game 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

going out while still on top with Jimmy seemingly continuing

i was lucky enough to see him take 5 for against the Aussies to help us regain the ashes at the oval in 2009. One of those unbelievable spells he reproduced again and again on tne big occasion. A true great of the game 

Yeah I think it’s a combination of him still playing so well and what’s coming up. India away then Sri Lanka and the Windies at home I think. He would’ve struggled in India probably. Then those aren’t exactly huge series next summer. Hope England can manage to win tomorrow as they deserve to draw the series I reckon and it would be a nice ending for him. I’m a little bit surprised Anderson is going to keep going (if indeed he does) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Yeah I think it’s a combination of him still playing so well and what’s coming up. India away then Sri Lanka and the Windies at home I think. He would’ve struggled in India probably. Then those aren’t exactly huge series next summer. Hope England can manage to win tomorrow as they deserve to draw the series I reckon and it would be a nice ending for him. I’m a little bit surprised Anderson is going to keep going (if indeed he does) 

A draw is the least we deserve. I think we’re unlucky not to have won the series. The weather denied us in Old Trafford. We were close to a victory at lords and probably just a bit naive at Edgbaston. We look on course to win this test match. The Aussies have been pretty ordinary compared to their usual high standards. Cummins a bit negative and reactive. The future under stokes and McCullum looks bright 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Good to see bazball evolving into bazball with brains as the series has gone on. We’ve gone along at 5 an over today batting aggressively but sensibly and without gifting wickets away 

Would have won 3, possibly 4-0 had they not played to the hype.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

A draw is the least we deserve. I think we’re unlucky not to have won the series. The weather denied us in Old Trafford. We were close to a victory at lords and probably just a bit naive at Edgbaston. We look on course to win this test match. The Aussies have been pretty ordinary compared to their usual high standards. Cummins a bit negative and reactive. The future under stokes and McCullum looks bright 

England won 4 out of 5 tosses, often bowled in the best conditions and Australia lost the services of the best off spinner in test cricket (who previously played in 100 consecutive tests). I think the luck has probably evened itself out tbh.

Close to victory at Lord’s is overstating it too. It took an incredible innings by Stokes to get within 50 runs in a not particularly high scoring test. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

England won 4 out of 5 tosses, often bowled in the best conditions and Australia lost the services of the best off spinner in test cricket (who previously played in 100 consecutive tests). I think the luck has probably evened itself out tbh.

Close to victory at Lord’s is overstating it too. It took an incredible innings by Stokes to get within 50 runs in a not particularly high scoring test. 

we’ve had the better of the conditions but we’ve also played the better cricket in a tight series and 2-1 to them or 2-2 doesn’t tell the whole story by a long stretch.

We’ve also played better cricket this series than the last home ashes series which was drawn despite Australia dominating long periods in a way they haven’t done this tour 

• Like 1

Well, yeah. It’s a massive missed opportunity. But not really down to poor fortune. It’s down to poor batting and missed opportunities in the field giving the team a massive mountain to climb. I don’t see that as bad luck in terms of going 2-0 down. I think it’s a very odd series as the England team have looked so dominant after those first two tests. And Australia have played in a very defensive manner. Which I don’t think has benefited them tbh. 

15 hours ago, MMXXVIII said:

Would have won 3, possibly 4-0 had they not played to the hype.

Sums it up nicely. I think England have learned as the series goes on. If you have a read back through the thread I think that’s what most people wanted. Reining in the more extravagant shots when the situation demanded it. I still think selecting Bairstow cost England the series too 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

Also, another little rant about the ridiculous schedule. The final test match of the English summer will finish before August has even started. Which would be bad enough but it’s an Ashes series. All to accommodate a competition that lost £9m over its first two years. FUCK RIGHT OFF!!!

• Like 2

Not going very well, is it?

What a time for that fucker Warner to learn how to bat properly.  Just gives him his retirement gig in Sydney, though.

Not sure why spin came on before Wood, though.

4 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Not going very well, is it?

What a time for that fucker Warner to learn how to bat properly.  Just gives him his retirement gig in Sydney, though.

Not sure why spin came on before Wood, though.

Think England were about 100 runs short of what they should’ve got second innings. Given the pitch is so flat. I think they were holding Wood back for sone reason. Plus it is turning a bit. Australia favourites from here though. 

• Like 1