The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Was that the golden over one, or whatever it was called? I genuinely get mixed up between all of the episodes of Stokes ridiculous heroics. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Was that the golden over one, or whatever it was called? I genuinely get mixed up between all of the episodes of Stokes ridiculous heroics. 

Yes. The super over was in that World Cup final. But it was Stokes’ innings prior to that which got England there (84 not out) and he also batted in the super over. 
The absolutely ridiculous match winning century against Australia in Ashes test at Headingley was only a few weeks after that though 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Yes. The super over was in that World Cup final. But it was Stokes’ innings prior to that which got England there (84 not out) and he also batted in the super over. 
The absolutely ridiculous match winning century against Australia in Ashes test at Headingley was only a few weeks after that though 

Also the day of Joelintons first goal for us against the cockney mackems.

Just now, David Kelly said:

Also the day of Joelintons first goal for us against the cockney mackems.

The day of the Headingley ton? Aye, I remember watching it straight after. Bit of a scuffed finish iirc 

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

The day of the Headingley ton? Aye, I remember watching it straight after. Bit of a scuffed finish iirc 

Aye.  It was a slightly scuffed finish but for us at the time, the goal as a whole was like Brazil at their height.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the hundred match at Headingley yesterday. The bairn loved meeting all of the female players after and getting their autographs.

Came home and the advert for Flintoff's new tv show was on. Jesus, his injuries must have been bad after the crash.

IMG_2395.thumb.jpeg.efcd9de7355de6bc53469ad245ee8f37.jpeg

Aye I've seen that ad. His face is fucked. I didn't watch top gear but on the odd occasion I saw the latest iteration, I did used to wonder how the fuck they were just letting these lads drive these incredibly powerful cars like maniacs. 

It's amazing it's taken this long for someone to get properly fucked up by it. I know Hammond had a bad crash but he's such a penis that I don't count it. 

56 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye I've seen that ad. His face is fucked. I didn't watch top gear but on the odd occasion I saw the latest iteration, I did used to wonder how the fuck they were just letting these lads drive these incredibly powerful cars like maniacs. 

It's amazing it's taken this long for someone to get properly fucked up by it. I know Hammond had a bad crash but he's such a penis that I don't count it. 

He got £9mil compo apparently. Sounds like he's got PTSD from it, poor bloke.

• Like 1

Btw, Flintoff’s son, who is also an allrounder, has scored a couple of centuries for Lancashire second XI and made his List A debut for the county last month. At the age of 16. Seen some footage of his batting too and he looks just like his dad at the crease. 

• Like 2

Flintoff is dead canny. Wife was pregnant with out first and we went to Altrincham market for lunch one Saturday. Place is an old market hall turned into a food hall with all the kinds of food places and popular with people that most of you lot would fucking hate. Anyway, it's absolutely rammed  and we're scanning around for a table, wife is doing the tummy rubbing thing to emphasise her pregnant belly. All of a sudden this fucking mountain of a bloke stands and waves us over, it's only bloody Freddy Flintoff. He hurries his kids off the table and chats with the wife about how far along she is and all that as they clear away their stuff. He shakes my hand as he leaves and honestly I've never felt so emasculated. Hands like fucking shovels, all rough and manly. Unlike my soft, never-done-a-hard-days-graft- mitts.

• Haha 6

Wonder how much Stokes got paid to play in the hundred. 

Missed the first 2 games he was meant to play without explanation. Then in the 3 games he played he batted 0, 2, 2* before retiring with what has now been diagnosed as a torn hamstring. Zero wickets with the ball too!

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Wonder how much Stokes got paid to play in the hundred. 

Missed the first 2 games he was meant to play without explanation. Then in the 3 games he played he batted 0, 2, 2* before retiring with what has now been diagnosed as a torn hamstring. Zero wickets with the ball too!

Well it’ll been worth his while but it’ll also been with all the relevant consent from McCullum etc. as he’s obviously centrally contracted. I see the ECB have withdrawn Woakes too, to ‘manage his workload’. Stokes is meant to be back for the away series in Pakistan in the autumn. I supposed it’ll give Pope a chance as captain against a side England should beat at home without too much pressure. 
The whole Hundred thing stinks a bit to me like. Apart from it causing the Ashes last summer being shoehorned into such a short period. Which is just weird because a home ashes series is as lucrative as it gets for English cricket. But I don’t know if you’d read but Andrew Strauss, when he was the Director of Cricket, championed it. Then you’ve got the franchises which are being invested in by foreign venture capitalist groups. They can currently only own 49.9% but that’ll probably change. And Strauss has been involved in trying to lead one of the groups investing, in one of the London sides iirc. You can see how it’s going to go the way of people purely trying to make money whilst taking up a big chunk of the English summer. It’ll probably lead to there being less first class counties and less test cricket. And for what? A poor man’s IPL with ‘funky’ rules. It’s run at a loss so far too I think. 

• Like 3

Appalling journalism seeing as it’s a local paper like. I knew he’d been bowling in the county championship but, even if you didn’t, that’s something that would/could check in a matter of seconds 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm off to the T20 finals day at Edgbaston on Saturday. Ridiculously late in the season, again thanks to the hundred. Thank christ it looks like this early winter we've been enduring this week looks like it will subside a bit by the time Saturday rolls around 

• Like 2

Michael Vaughan’s son Archie, who is only 18, took 11 wickets in the match as Somerset beat Surrey in the County Championship. He’s an allrounder who also opened the batting in both innings. It leaves Somerset just behind Surrey in the race for the title with two matches to go. Somerset have never the County Championship before either. I would love to see them do it as I always liked them from the days when the used to show the Sunday League on Sunday Grandstand, when Ian Botham, Joel Garner and Viv Richards played for them 

• Like 1