The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's great tbh, BUT in a series context there's times it should be tempered a wee bit I think (especially against these twats) don't just bazball for the sake of it.

On paper they are better than us IMO, we don't need to give them unforced advantages/chances.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Absolutely don't disagree, your second sentence is bang on as well and I was simply opining that they'd had the rub of the green at certain points, not that they were "just lucky".

To take Alex's point re Ducket and Crawley (which I agree with btw) Even Root was struggling in that mini-session but he was good enough to miss the ball.

I really want to see Foakes in, one of the openers needs to drop (Crawley IMO - not only because I have no idea why/how he continues to get picked, but also to preserve the LH/RH situation). I'd just move whole order up one (Pope is invariably in early against the new ball anyway). Foakes is a competent bat and at #8 would provide a platform to rotate the strike if you've got one of the more expansive players still around, he's also capable of accelerating with the tail. (catches win matches etc.)

Think Moeen will struggle having seen a pic of his blisters, weather tomorrow seems very patchy so a draw is most likely, unless of course we get another gangsta declaration to force a result - which worries me tbh - before the Series the question was put to Stokes, "you're 2-1 up and at end of day 4 of the final test and you are 300 ahead with 3 wickets down, what would you do? bat on, or declare", without hesitation he said "I'd declare". 

There's a time and place for a declaration, like if you are trying to force a result because you need one, day one of a test match is never that time and place, and neither is day 4/5 of a test you can't lose (unless you declare prematurely). I also have an aversion to enforcing follow on's, unless the weather is iffy.

Hopefully we can bat through today and in between the weather tomorrow unleash Jimmy in conditions like last night. But I'd bet he'll declare with an hour at least at them tonight or with a lead of around 300, unless they skittle us and take it out of his hands.

While I understand the views about Crawley, the reason he's still there is because they like to be loyal.

But that's fine until you look at Foakes. Not sure that displays loyalty. 

However, I'm happy to go along for the ride. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

It's great tbh, BUT in a series context there's times it should be tempered a wee bit I think (especially against these twats) don't just bazball for the sake of it.

On paper they are better than us IMO, we don't need to give them unforced advantages/chances.

If it was tempered last night and then one or both openers survived, there’s the opportunity to smash it about today with the sun shining. I think that’s all you and I are saying. I agree with Gloom / Robin too and overall it’s been great. That doesn’t mean you can’t make reasonable criticisms. I still think enforcing the follow on and giving NZ a chance was wrong. Even if it was a thrilling match / climax. But I can see the counter argument. It very possibly is what test cricket needs too. Abroad, if not so much here, where pulling the crowds in is less of an issue anyway. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

they're better than us in australia. better than us in english conditions? remains to be seen. they haven't won a tour here in over 20 years

24 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

they're better than us in australia. better than us in english conditions? remains to be seen. they haven't won a tour here in over 20 years

I think they're better than us "on paper" man for man, two top end world class batsmen (washing machine and the cheat) to our one (Root) and a top, top spinner to our none, we have Jimmy but they have 3 or 4 as good as, if not better, than our other bowlers.

30 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

I think they're better than us "on paper" man for man, two top end world class batsmen (washing machine and the cheat) to our one (Root) and a top, top spinner to our none, we have Jimmy but they have 3 or 4 as good as, if not better, than our other bowlers.

Yeah, if you compare batting averages, they’re better. I think Lyon is the one player who separates the two teams. We haven’t had a spinner at that level since Swann retired 

• Like 2

They don’t have those batting averages if they play over half their tests in England. But I don’t think there’s much doubt they’re a better team on paper. Even in England, although that makes it closer. If England can win this first test that could make all the difference though. Mark Wood could be crucial too 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

You know what though. They’ve counter-punched and it’s spread the field already. 

Yeah, you’re right. I’m in the office today so listening on TMS. They’re saying it’s all about creating chaos- getting into the captain and bowler’s mind. 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

Yeah, you’re right. I’m in the office today so listening on TMS. They’re saying it’s all about creating chaos- getting into the captain and bowler’s mind. 

The other thing is, these two will happily milk ones and twos. Root especially is a master of going at a run a ball without even hitting boundaries 

• Like 2

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

Has anyone got an old school stream for this btw? All the  ones I used back in the day are no more 

I haven't but here's a link which will help get you in the mood till you can watch it..... :good:

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

The other thing is, these two will happily milk ones and twos. Root especially is a master of going at a run a ball without even hitting boundaries 

yup, as he demonstrated in the first innings when the aussies set ultra defensive fields from the first ball 

22 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

You can watch free on 9now.com.au, just register and VPN Austraila.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

Double Bugger !!! Well any potential declaration controversy seems to be off the agenda now.

i wouldn't rule it out if they get to anything north of 250!

48 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i wouldn't rule it out if they get to anything north of 250!

I think the runs given away by the day one declaration may be looming large now

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

I think the runs given away by the day one declaration may be looming large now

Genuinely think stokes would have declared on around 260 with the weather forecast looking a bit shit for tomorrow 

18 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Genuinely think stokes would have declared on around 260 with the weather forecast looking a bit shit for tomorrow 

I was thinking min 270 lead minimum, but we'll likely be shy of that (hope not but....) and they'll have a couple of hours under the sun tonight and I reckon he'd have wanted less than that amount of time (or a bigger run cushion).

Time will tell, but at least we've got "some" decent runs on the board, it won't be a cakewalk, but the arguments will come if they get them with a couple of wickets left, or half an hour before end of play where another 30 or so would have "saved the day".