The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TBH England has to worry as much about their bowling attack as they do their batters based on the Lords match.

The fact the Australian pace was able to get some movement out of the wicket whereas England couldn't - also the difference between line and length.

Look at how many inside edge wickets England gave away.

Shush, you don't even like cricket. ;)

Shush, you don't even like cricket. ;)

Yeah I know but since I've been working in news I've taken more of an interest. I played it as a kid so it's not as if I know nowt.

Anyway, tell me I'm wrong in my assessment?

Yeah I know but since I've been working in news I've taken more of an interest. I played it as a kid so it's not as if I know nowt.

Anyway, tell me I'm wrong in my assessment?

I would say, because they don't have the pace of Johnson and Starc, Broad and Anderson in particular need a pitch that gives them a little bit of help in terms of lateral movement, whether that by swing or seam. So I don't think there's a problem with the attack in 'normal English conditions' but the Lord's pitch offered them nothing. They didn't bowl anywhere near as well as the opposition but I think it's a good bowling attack. Perhaps the option of an attacking spinner like Adil Rashid might help but it's the batting at the top of the order that's the big problem.

I would say, because they don't have the pace of Johnson and Starc, Broad and Anderson in particular need a pitch that gives them a little bit of help in terms of lateral movement, whether that by swing or seam. So I don't think there's a problem with the attack in 'normal English conditions' but the Lord's pitch offered them nothing. They didn't bowl anywhere near as well as the opposition but I think it's a good bowling attack. Perhaps the option of an attacking spinner like Adil Rashid might help but it's the batting at the top of the order that's the big problem.

i agree with that. the bowlers deserve another chance after taking 20 wickets in cardiff, and on a deck that will hopefully give them a hand.

it's that batting that need addressing. sounds like it'll be bell at 3 in place of ballance and bairstow coming in down the order.

i'm not convinced lyth deserves another go, but i will be surprised if the selectors make two changes and there isn't another natural opening batter in the squad, really.

I think it's a good idea to pick Bairstow. They've obviously fancied him as a player for a good while and he's in unbelievable form. Averaging over 100 in first class cricket iirc (in Div 1 as well).

agreed. cricket should be like any other sport and if you're not performing, you should be dropped for player that is. the selectors are too often afraid to make a big call like this in the middle of a series but it had to be done - ballance has been in terrible nick. even when he made runs recently they were scratchy runs.

Edited by Dr Gloom

i agree with that. the bowlers deserve another chance after taking 20 wickets in cardiff, and on a deck that will hopefully give them a hand.

it's that batting that need addressing. sounds like it'll be bell at 3 in place of ballance and bairstow coming in down the order.

i'm not convinced lyth deserves another go, but i will be surprised if the selectors make two changes and there isn't another natural opening batter in the squad, really.

I think Bell should play at 3. You might be right in that Root gets the job in the long run (the reason I'm against that is purely his doing so well at 5) but Bell is the senior middle order batsman so I think it's time for him to stand up and be counted or, if he doesn't do the required job, then maybe it's time he was dropped. The problem is the lack of experience in the batting line up though if Bell does get dropped. In any case I agree with Michael Vaughan in that the Aussies would've been delighted to see the same batting line-up at Edgbaston so don't give them what they want. The opposition definitely strengthened their hand with the changes they made for the last test.

if bell fails again at edgo and we're 2-1 down, i can see the ECB coming under a lot of pressure to recall KP. it would be a bit of a fairytale if he came back to help regain the ashes from a losing position. the super cunt returning to save the day

if bell fails again at edgo and we're 2-1 down, i can see the ECB coming under a lot of pressure to recall KP. it would be a bit of a fairytale if he came back to help regain the ashes from a losing position. the super cunt returning to save the day

KP is never going to be picked for England again.

i would honestly have KP in our middle order ahead of bell and ballance right now. and i'm fairly sure the aussies are glad he's off the selectors' radar.

if we had george osborne's accent, i doubt he would be given quite as much grief for being a cunt

Gideon should get his mate Dave to have a word. Perhaps we could recall Colin Wood as well.

So Ballance out, Bairstow in. Lyth survives. And Bell to 3.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2015/content/story/901469.html

I think England had to do something after such a convincing lose. I don't mind the change. Not convinced by Bell to 3, but he's a classy player so maybe the change will freshen him up a bit.

very interesting analysis of the stats behind ian bell's patchy form. there's no doubt that he's our most elegant player when he's on song, and he's got all the shots. but his form going back to that home ashes series when he was player of the series is patchy. plus he's another one who looks more comfortable down the order. can he stand up to the pressure of playing at 3? it's his position he bats for warwickshire at his home ground. over to you ronald.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/902675.html

Edited by Dr Gloom

Love a stat attack with cricket like. The game lends itself so much to statistical analysis and it was a massive part of the game ages before football got on board.

it's interesting to look at his career average in different positions and see he's another one who clearly does better down the order. i think root could go on to become a good number 3 in the future. for bell, it's probably last chance saloon. he's the senior batter, on his home ground in what should be his best position. time for him to step up in this series with a significant contribution or he's another one whose place in the side will be under pressure.

Edited by Dr Gloom