The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Great fight back from England. Haddin dropping Root on 0 cost the Aussis big time.

Yeah I agree that there isn't really any clear replacement for Bell but he looks horribly out of nick. Probably right though, he won't be dropped because for one thing it will may start the whole KP debate again.

Looking forward to day 2. England have a chance to make an important 50 to 100 runs in the morning. Aussies need to skittle them quickly and get batting.

Need to get over 400. I've a feeling the Aussies won't gift away their wickets so cheaply on a slow pitch

Need to get over 400. I've a feeling the Aussies won't gift away their wickets so cheaply on a slow pitch

Yeah. I'd agree you probably need 400, but you never know. In a sense, England have enough now to make a game of it if they bowl well. Batting last may be a problem too, with the variable bounce going on.

Johnny Bairstow or Eoin Morgan are probably next in line. If we lose the next couple Piers Morgan will be leading the calls for a KP recall again.

Good recovery in the end. We may as well start Root at number 3 as he more or less been playing in that position, given the lack of runs at the top of the order recently.

Root average over 70 batting at 5. He's suffered from being moved about before. Leave well alone imo.

I like him at 5 too but you can argue he's been more or less playing at 3 for the last year. I've lost count at the number of times he's come in at 30/3 or something to face a fairly new ball.

Good gritty knock from Balance yesterday given his lack of form but he looks like he has some technical problems. I'm not sure if he's an answer long term in that batting position. The hunt for a convincing opening batter to partner cook goes on as well. It wouldn't surprise me if Lyth doesn't last the series.

root, stokes butler and moheen at 5, 6, 7 and 8 is exciting. We've been relying on them for way too many runs recently though.

The biggest positive for me is our attacking batters have been playing without fear this sunmer. Good that the coaching staff are telling them to go out and express themselves. No point in players like Buttler going out to grind out an innings.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with Ballance's technique. I think he's a very effective grafter. For mine, he is England's best batsmen, behind Root. Doesn't have the class that Root has, but he's effective enough.

In saying that though, I think Ballance is in for a lot more short stuff from Johnson as the series continues. Although, Steve Waugh used to get bounced all day because he looked shithouse against short pitched bowling. Didn't stop him averaging over 50.

Nice to see Johnson getting twatted about the place a bit. Hopefully this can set the tone for the series rather than everyone being terrified of him like last time. He hasn't bowled a single maiden in this innings and has gone for 101 and counting.

they've prepared this cardiff pitch to be even flatter than usual with that in mind i think. crush his confidence early doors as he's the kind of player that will take a poor performance with him into the next game. i hope this pitch doesn't set the tone for the series though. it'll make for another dull home series.

Edited by Dr Gloom

they've prepared this cardiff pitch to be even flatter than usual with that in mind i think. crush his confidence early doors as he's the kind of player that will take a poor performance with him into the next game. i hope this pitch doesn't set the tone for the series though. it'll make for another dull home series.

It's about the money and trying to make it last 5 days for the ECB rather than anything else I reckon.

It's about the money and trying to make it last 5 days for the ECB rather than anything else I reckon.

a chief executive's pitch. aye, could well be.

Johnson too, the fucking Aussie red necks :lol:

England's day, for sure. Whip them out tomorrow by the afternoon for under 350 and I fancy our chances.

Despite the pudding of a pitch.

I can see more of these slow pitches being prepared. Doesn't make for the most entertaining cricket but it largely nullifies starc and Johnson.

Yeah. It's a bit of a dud. Low variable bounce, taking a lot of spin on Day 1. It's like an undusty version of a sub-continent pitch that probably won't deteriorate properly because its in 20 degree Wales, and not 45 degree Delhi.