http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/12/newcastle-owner-mike-ashley-will-keep-faith-with-lee-charnley-de/

If there's any truth in this then we could stay down for quite a while. How many times do things have to go wrong before Mike Ashley identifies the constants?

Just proves that Charnley is Ashleys lapdog. If he keeps his job it's because Ashley was responsible for the flawed transfer policy, poor appointments and dithering.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitez-deal-could-struck-11368007

Looks like Charnley's staying in fact he's been told to get on with it regarding negotiations with Rafa & running the club. It's unbelievable the amount of power this blokes been given when you think his former job to this was filling in the reserve team sheet. I just hope he doesn't fuck this up the future of the club depends on it.

It beggars belief really. I wonder if he's really good at the administrative side or something. I just can't fathom why Ashley would consider that costing him about £150m is not a sackable offence.

Unless he told Charnley not to sack McClaren, Ashley isn't entirely responsible.

That said, you're probably right about the player transfer bit.

Charnley will count the toilet rolls and run the stationery cupboard but any significant decisions will require Ashleys approval. The question is whether he has sufficient nous and authority on footballing matters to push Ashley to get the right outcomes. I doubt it but then Ashley probably only wants a super loyal yesman anyway

He'll sign.

Fat Cunt can't afford for him not to.

FC will "support" Benitez until we are back to the mid-table comfort zone, then fuck him off.

Aye that's what I think will happen as well. Ashley knows he needs the team back in the Prem so he'll give Rafa whatever he wants to get them back there and to a strong position in it then he'll start to make his cuts again, Rafa will leave and we'll be back to scrapping the drop.

This is just pessimistic claptrap :lol:

What are these "cuts"?

Think Ashley has been pretty clear that what the club makes, it can spend.

Aye... What happened after we finished 5th? We didn't capitalize at all and we ended up skimping on buying players for a few windows, never really bothered replacing Cabaye other than Jack Colback on a free. The fact is nowadays in the PL you need to spend a lot to just stand still, Ashley refused to do so and we went backwards rapidly and he had to try and buy a bunch of players in the hope it could keep us up, it failed because he again had decided to take the cheap option in management as well as buying young lads rather than anything proven (another attempt at money making).

I find it odd that you still trust and even seem to like Ashley.

Aye... What happened after we finished 5th? We didn't capitalize at all and we ended up skimping on buying players for a few windows, never really bothered replacing Cabaye other than Jack Colback on a free. The fact is nowadays in the PL you need to spend a lot to just stand still, Ashley refused to do so and we went backwards rapidly and he had to try and buy a bunch of players in the hope it could keep us up, it failed because he again had decided to take the cheap option in management as well as buying young lads rather than anything proven (another attempt at money making).

I find it odd that you still trust and even seem to like Ashley.

I think he's been fairly clear for a while now that the club can spend what it generates (as shown over the last 12 months).

Sure, personnel and the recruitment policy has failed, I just don't the scenario you describe of "cuts" being made once we're promoted.

I think it's pretty obvious Rafa is doing due diligence and ensuring all other matters are signed sealed delivered.

I think he's been fairly clear for a while now that the club can spend what it generates (as shown over the last 12 months).

Sure, personnel and the recruitment policy has failed, I just don't the scenario you describe of "cuts" being made once we're promoted.

I think it's pretty obvious Rafa is doing due diligence and ensuring all other matters are signed sealed delivered.

Go on then I'll bite

So going 18 months without signing a permanent player isn't making cuts?

Why do you keep putting cuts in quotes? They happened man, as Gpirlo pointed out. When we had secured a safe position in the Premier League we quite clearly started scaling the spending back until the ownership began to panic about what has ended up happening. Until we are in a similar position of strength and keep spending I see no reason to doubt it wont happen again.

The only thing Rafa can get is a promise though, so him staying is by no means any sort of proof that we'll be allowed to turn into a side that challenges for places higher up the table with any regularity. I'd like to trust him like you seemingly do but Ashley has done nothing whatsoever to convince me he deserves my trust, panic spending doesn't get rid of the doubt he wont not spend again if he feels the squad could survive another season.