The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@@David Kelly - I hear you, but when it comes to buying 2 defenders or a CB and an attacker, I'd go with the former.

I rate Cisse and Perez, De Jong's around, and we've got Gino too - so for me there's 4 attacking players that are alright. I think our attacker situation has looked worse only due to Pardew and Carvers' preference to le hoof ball.

Put service to Cisse and Perez's feet and they'll score loads I reckon.

I can't say the same defence wise - I rate Janmaat (who's had some poor games) and that's about it. Willo, Taylor and Colo just aren't good enough. Haidara's ok, but then that's all our strength and depth innit?

Aye that's fair really. We don't really have a centre back we can rely on atm, unless Colo's performances under McClaren are more like his form of 3/4 seasons ago but even then that's still only 1 cb. Taylor is constantly injured, Williamson is crap and I'd rather ease Lascalles in a bit rather than chucking him in alongside Colo, it could work of course but if he had a few poor performances it could wreck him at the club.

Actually from.....

Janmaat - Saylor - Colo - Lascalles - Dummett - Haidara + (Anita - Colback - Good - Satka)

.....at the back we don't look altogether rubbish, and in the middle with.......

Cabella - Tiote - deJong - Colback - Sissoko - Abeid - Gini - Rolando - Anita

............it doesn't look all that bad, and up front with............

Armstrong - Perez - Cisse - Riviere - Gouffran

...........we're not looking altogether gash BUT, it certainly would help if we did get a central defender and striker across the line as I would be very unhappy if we didn't sign anyone else that would strengthen us.

We're criminally weak at the back. No matter how good a coaching team we have, Colo hasn't been great for years and Taylor & Williamson have never been above average. Dummett is ok, but probably another Taylor-standard player. Too early to judge Lascelle, and certainly too early to rely on him. Janmaat is quality and there might be a good player in Haidara, but that's it.

We need two centre backs.

Absolutely. I agree that Colo needs replacing too. He's lost a yard of pace which he never had to lose in the first place. I think he's simply now too slow to be a Premier League centre back.

Edited by toonotl

Pace isn't all that important for a central defender if he is a good game reader. Bobby Moore could just about keep pace with a herd of turtles, his strength was being able to read the game like no other.

I agree to an extent Noelie. I still think it becomes a problem at a certain point. An example would be Rio Ferdinand. You could see him declining as he lost pace. I agree that some centre backs are able to compensate for their lack of pace, but some can't.

Basically, I think as a defender in the Premier League you need a decent amount of pace or a brilliant ability to read the play.

Colo has neither of those requisite qualities. Then you have to consider that Colo also isn't big enough to be the 'enforcer' type of centre back. This means that generally our right-sided centre back needs to be a gorilla, like Willo, to provide height for defending ( :lol: ) free kicks, etc.

This means we end up with two centre backs with no pace, making us dangerously susceptible to a simple ball in behind or the long ball over the top.

For mine, we need a fresh start with a completely new centre back partnership.

Yeah, McClaren will go down in my estimation of Williamson is still on the books after the window closes, let alone anywhere near the first team.

Colo, it pains me to say, looks finished. Shame as he's been a class player for us and won't be easy to replace.

Ideally we'll be getting in one centre half capable of doing the grunt work, defending corners etc and another one who is more cultured on the ball and able to start moves from the back. Please God no more aimless hoofing from Willo

Haidara?

Hasn't done enough to suggest he's good enough to be first choice, not if we want to achieve anything anyway.

I would like to see him second choice at left back with a better player ahead of him and Dummet a second choice centre half.

I agree with those who say it would be a disgrace if Williamson's still here come September (although I'd rather bringing someone new in be a bigger focus than flogging that dead horse. We could just pay up his contract I suppose) but a new striker is equally as important as a new centre half for me. Cisse has been struggling with injuries the last couple of seasons so I wouldn't want to be relying on him to be there every game scoring goals. Perez is a very promising young player but can't lead the line and doesn't look the sort who will ever score a load and SDJ has so far been made of glass.

I wouldn't say a striker or centreback are any more of a priorty over the other mind. They both desperately need addressing as there is absolutely no excuse for us to not do that.

I'm also with Gloomy on Haidara. He has potential but he hasn't convinced me yet. Of course he's not been helped with what he's had in front of him. A fully fit and progressing Aarons might help him out there as well as not playing with Williamson. Dummett has convinced me that he's certainly not good enough.

I dont rate Austin that highly. I would stay clear for the money they want. He isn't very mobile.

For £15m we'd be getting a striker with 18 PL goals last year and has managed to stay pretty injury free his whole career. For that sort of money we aren't going to get an all round forward capable of scoring as many goals. For where the club is aiming I think he's a very good option.

I agree with those who say it would be a disgrace if Williamson's still here come September (although I'd rather bringing someone new in be a bigger focus than flogging that dead horse. We could just pay up his contract I suppose) but a new striker is equally as important as a new centre half for me. Cisse has been struggling with injuries the last couple of seasons so I wouldn't want to be relying on him to be there every game scoring goals. Perez is a very promising young player but can't lead the line and doesn't look the sort who will ever score a load and SDJ has so far been made of glass.

I wouldn't say a striker or centreback are any more of a priorty over the other mind. They both desperately need addressing as there is absolutely no excuse for us to not do that.

I'm also with Gloomy on Haidara. He has potential but he hasn't convinced me yet. Of course he's not been helped with what he's had in front of him. A fully fit and progressing Aarons might help him out there as well as not playing with Williamson. Dummett has convinced me that he's certainly not good enough.

Absolutely.

It's very Newcastle to buy a player for the one position we're not desperate for.

Absolutely.

It's very Newcastle to buy a player for the one position we're not desperate for.

I would agree except when we've done that in the recent past, we've done it because we could get the player cheap. Gini certainly wasn't cheap so that gives me some confidence that we will still address our actual needs. Fuck me I almost sound like you there!

I would agree except when we've done that in the recent past, we've done it because we could get the player cheap. Gini certainly wasn't cheap so that gives me some confidence that we will still address our actual needs. Fuck me I almost sound like you there!

Nah, not quite, this wasn't muffled by the sound of a thousand frozen grapes swilling about your mouth...

;)

Haidara may not have done enough to convince anyone he's good enough for this league but I dont think he's had the proper chances either. An extended run in the first team. I hope he's preferred to Dummett come August. Dummett is going to be very average at best throughout his career.

Haidara may not have done enough to convince anyone he's good enough for this league but I dont think he's had the proper chances either. An extended run in the first team. I hope he's preferred to Dummett come August. Dummett is going to be very average at best throughout his career.

I'm hoping he's a bit more Aaron Hughesy than Steven Taylory though.

For £15m we'd be getting a striker with 18 PL goals last year and has managed to stay pretty injury free his whole career. For that sort of money we aren't going to get an all round forward capable of scoring as many goals. For where the club is aiming I think he's a very good option.

Agreed, the lad has been a regular scorer every season he has played. I know only one in the PL but I'd be fairly confident if he can find the net 18 times in a season with the shower of shit that was QPR last season he can do it in a better side. 15m for a 25 year old British player coming off the back of an 18 goal season seems pretty fair in this market, in any case it's not my money and I'd like to see the bloke playing for us so I'd be happy with it.

On Haidara I think it's hard to judge our defenders tbh, Williamson is so fucking tragic he makes it difficult for all of them as players have to try and cover players he loses as well as their own man which can often make it seem like it's down to them when really Iron Mike is to blame. I think he's strong, pacy and despite some pretty rough injuries doesn't seem to be scared of putting his foot in, hopefully he can stay injury clear and I think he'll become a decent left back. If we were to go out and buy a good left back I'd be happy but I think we've got far more pressing concerns.

Not sure what you make of this lads but Les Ferdinand saying "Newcastle haven't even made an offer" for this Charlie chap

we're still 'monitoring' the situation :lol:

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic