The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

yeah Dr G I dont have a great deal of faith we will replace the players youve mentioned or get anyone decent in. I do think as the venerable toonotl says that Ameobi isn't good enough and neither was Raylor. Guti couldve done a job for us maybe and at least was versatile and committed.

The suspicion remains that the club still operates on the basis that they will clear people off the books and then decide who to bring in, mainly on the basis they're a bargain. Which would be a crazy way to run a football club.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, nothing has changed on evidence so far. The Ashley horse and cart interview sounds like a lot of hot air.

Trying to drive a hard bargain every time means we're in danger of missing out on our top targets and paying over the odds for second rate ones

Edited by Dr Gloom

Yeah, nothing has changed on evidence so far. The Ashley horse and cart interview sounds like a lot of hot air.

Trying to drive a hard bargain every time means we're in danger of missing out on our top targets and paying over the odds for second rate ones

What sort of welcome is it to the players as well, the fact the club has haggled for them like a piss stained mattress on Gumtree?

We really wanted you to come, but we don't think you're worth your market rate. Pipe down, kick it long and sell Wonga, dickhead.

Sammy has had 3 different brand new, very expensive cars in the two years since I've lived on the same estate as him or his parents (I think the latter but he's always there). If I was him, I'd wind back the spending on crazily depreciating assets, given the potential for a sudden change in his circumstances/earning power.

What sort of welcome is it to the players as well, the fact the club has haggled for them like a piss stained mattress on Gumtree?

We really wanted you to come, but we don't think you're worth your market rate. Pipe down, kick it long and sell Wonga, dickhead.

:lol:

Or, when those signings don't materialise, we end up having to play kids.

As Happy Face said, regardless of how shit we think Taylor, Jonas, Sammy etc. were, they had 50ish appearances between them last year that we now need to fill

Barcelona, who're banned from signing players, have signed more players than NUFC who spoke of their ambition and how new recruitment would be vital to that.

Transfer window 1 - sign no one and get rid of a few squad players

Transfer window 2 - see if we need any panic buys

Transfer window 3 - sign no one and get rid of a few panic buys

The first bold bit is just wrong mate sorry.

The second bold bit. The reason football in this country is different is because of the kick and rush nonsense of previous generations, the lack of investment in kids football, lack of quality coaches/opportunities for coaches and a culture that demands instant success. Not because in England football is inherently a game played by big strong people.

Lets put it this way. I think Anita is a better footballer than Colback, yet Colback plays every week because he "grafts". Anita plays a good game, two average games then is benched for 8 weeks or whatever. I think playing Colback over Anita is a false economy and it would bare out if both played a full season.

Obviously I disagree with you on the first point. Clearly they are very good players but imo their athleticism tips them them over the edge. Essien was also a very good example of this type of player.

Re the reasons why football is different here, I'm not for one second suggesting that there's something in the evironment here that makes playing in a more continential fashion impossible. I totally agree with you on the reasons you state. Those reasons have lead us to where we are, and where we currently are is that Colback (an average player at best) is more suited to the game here an therefor more useful than Anita. Anita probably does have a case in that he's never been given a good run to prove himself but equally he's never shown enough when he's had the chance. Colback immediately showed his worth, Anita has been here three years and up until the last game of the season I wouldn't say he's ever had a good game and many times (particularly last season) he's been awful. The circumstances we were in and the other players he had to play with undoubtedly hampered him last season but he's just not done anywhere near enough and I don't think he ever will. But maybe McClaren having experience of managing in Holland and Germany might be able to get us playing in a better style (lets face it he can't have us playing much worse) and Anita can prove me wrong.

Barcelona, who're banned from signing players, have signed more players than NUFC who spoke of their ambition and how new recruitment would be vital to that.

We've bought their transfer ban from them for £2.3m!

Ashley's hopefully shot himself in the foot now I hope, making a rare public appearance on Sky Sports speaking shite. Now the media sees him doing what he's done to us for years. I really hope they tear him a new one.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic