The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

Who are they?

Tried to do a funny using Derek "Fazackerley" and Nabokov ("exactly" and "Nah gerrof")... but it was becoming massively convoluted and definitely shit, so here's a picture of peak football hipstering instead.

CHyZ4CPWUAEKgOb.png

Edited by The Fish

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I will say is that the brouhaha about the transfer kitty is a little daft. £25m could be about enough to buy this years versions of Abeid (£0m), Ba (£0m), Cabaye (£5m), Cisse (£9m), Colback (£0m), Marveaux (£0m), Mbiwa (£8m), Remy (£2m) and Sissoko (£2.5m).

My point being, money isn't the worry for me, it's the lack of action. Sign Dost for £7m or Austin for £15m, or some free transfer, I don't care, just fucking sign someone.

I don't think it's daft.

We can't rely on getting bargain basement prices on good players every time we need them. That approach is not going to work long term. We are proof that it doesn't work. To me, to think the club is capable of consistently getting good players dirt cheap is daft.

If we were operating with a reasonable transfer kitty things would go a lot smoother. Assuming of course we didn't have a moron at the controls.

More money means more room to manoeuvre. More money means, on average, we can buy better players.

Also, in three short years, the market for transfers has changed to the point where there's way more money kicking about. You've just got to look at the increase in TV money in that span to see that. I bet a 12th place finish now would eclipse what we got for finishing 5th (I'm not going to check that) and clubs like Stoke, who only just finished with their highest position ever last year, are spending a load of money to secure a squad capable of taking small steps forward. Our lot think that they can leap 10 places up the table by spending less than everyone else and it's ridiculous to expect that to happen and ridiculous to expect one cheap signing (your Remy's, Ba's etc) to be relied on to do so. You need a squad and this lot aren't capable of building it.

I don't think it's daft.

We can't rely on getting bargain basement prices on good players every time we need them. That approach is not going to work long term. We are proof that it doesn't work. To me, to think the club is capable of consistently getting good players dirt cheap is daft.

If we were operating with a reasonable transfer kitty things would go a lot smoother. Assuming of course we didn't have a moron at the controls.

More money means more room to manoeuvre. More money means, on average, we can buy better players.

My point is worry less about the cash and more about the inactivity.

My point is worry less about the cash and more about the inactivity.

I appreciate that. But I think the inactivity is a result of the lack of money.

Austin would have signed if we'd just pay what he's worth. But we can't because that would be 3/5 of our transfer budget on one player.

Dost is probably not a done deal because we're haggling over price like a bunch of pricks.

I think one causes the other.

I appreciate that. But I think the inactivity is a result of the lack of money.

Austin would have signed if we'd just pay what he's worth. But we can't because that would be 3/5 of our transfer budget on one player.

Dost is probably not a done deal because we're haggling over price like a bunch of pricks.

I think one causes the other.

I don't think there's a lack of money, I think we could have a kitty of £1b and we'd still be haggling. We're not short of money and as has been said before there isn't a separate bank account for transfers, put simply we shop only for players with yellow stickers or knackered tins.

I don't think there's a lack of money, I think we could have a kitty of £1b and we'd still be haggling. We're not short of money and as has been said before there isn't a separate bank account for transfers, put simply we shop only for players with yellow stickers or knackered tins.

I agree. There isn't a lack of money. I agree that we could be buying lawn seed and we'd still haggle.

That's why I included the caveat that I'd like to not have a bunch of morons at the controls.

I'm not saying we have a separate player transfers bank account. So let's not start moving goalposts. I'm saying the idiots in control need to adjust their sights on what constitutes value for money. They are out of touch.

Take Austin. They are not haggling over Austin's price for a few million. They are practically offering half of what he's worth. They are out of touch with the reality of the transfer market. Like I mentioned a few days ago. The club needs to double the money they are willing to spend on transfers otherwise we are going to be relegation fodder again.

I agree. There isn't a lack of money. I agree that we could be buying lawn seed and we'd still haggle.

That's why I included the caveat that I'd like to not have a bunch of morons at the controls.

I'm not saying we have a separate player transfers bank account. So let's not start moving goalposts. I'm saying the idiots in control need to adjust their sights on what constitutes value for money. They are out of touch.

Take Austin. They are not haggling over Austin's price for a few million. They are practically offering half of what he's worth. They are out of touch with the reality of the transfer market. Like I mentioned a few days ago. The club needs to double the money they are willing to spend on transfers otherwise we are going to be relegation fodder again.

Mind you, we've no idea what's going on behind those doors. For all we know we've already all but secured Austin, Dost & Whomever. Just waiting for them to get back from weddings/holidays/military reenactments

Links, rumours, targets, aims, working hard behind the scenes and all that old bollocks can kiss my rusty hole. I'll decide if i'm buying a Southampton ticket depending who we've signed when they go on sale.

Probably more likely than you ever learning how to spell his fucking name.

He'll be dancing in the streets of Galashiels tonight.

Probably more likely than you ever learning how to spell his fucking name.

:lol:

Tbh it wouldn't totally shock me if McClaren had said he could have the current crop (with maybe one or two or their regular cheap punt singings) back to mid table mediocrity which is similar to telling a normal club you'd have them in the CL.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic