The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hard to pin it down on that though, largely played out of position everywhere (including milan), on the sides because he's quick rather than through the middle or on the shoulder of a centre half, and then on top of that used as an impact sub as well in those positions, as well as only being "on loan" so again lower down the pecking order in that sense.

Barca bought him back with a clause for €13m in 2013 so must still think there's something there, And he's still only 23 too.

Needs to play upfront on the shoulder imo which is why he's not lived up to his potential, he'd be similar to Hernandez or a player of that ilk imo, head down sprinting behind to finish off knockdowns or through balls etc

right position and more game time and he'll come good, not at stoke mind who will punt balls at him even though he's short :lol:

He's a lot more techincally gifted than Hernandez, hence why he's able to play anywhere along the forward line.

In every way it's a shame that I've had the enthusiasm and positivity strangled out of me under the ownership of Ashley or else I'd be embracing these signings with optimism.

I will hopefully at least get to see some of them play in the club's Wellington trial match.

despite all the doubts about whether ashley would spend, the squad is beginning to take shape and look a little stronger.

The loss of Debuchy is a blow as not even Janmatt is his equal, but he's certainly better than R Taylor and Santone. Can't say I'm bothered about HBA, Marveaux and Ferguson being 'frozen out', but cant believe it hasnt been done to Obertan who is U.S.

If there are no more departures of regulars - Sissoko and Mbiwa for example, and Cabella, Riviere plus 2-3 others come in, it's looking good for next season isnt it ? Anyone agree/disagree

GK - KRUL, ELLIOTT

DF - COLOCINNI S TAYLOR WILLIAMSON MBIWA HAIDARA DUMMETT R TAYLOR JANMATT ? SANTONE

MF - GOUFFRAN ANITA TIOTE COLBACK DE JONG SISSOKO ABEID BIGIRAMANA GUITERREZ

ST - PEROZ RIVIERE CISSE AMEOBI

So far so good, but with ashley, will there be a sting in the tail ??

Edited by accadacca

We could spend big now and lift ourselves 2 or 3 places, max. Where would that leave us in the summer? The opportunity would be there again...but we'd have already spent big. To make a statement we'd then have to go out and do it again or the club is left deflated again. You might say "why not spend in both windows", but i can't see Ashley going all out two windows in a row, can you?

Signing no-one this month could mean we drop into the lower half, or we could maintain our current position with loanees, but either way, it makes the summer the best opportunity for making a statement of intent, buying big and lifting the club to better.

Called it

Absolutely. You would hope, from this summer so far, that his intentions are honourable. That he wants to see us improve. But it's not that, at all. We've just found ourselves in a position where we simply have to spend, even if only to stand still.

We'll still come up short mind. We're getting good players (resale value in mind, obviously), but we'll only ever get the bare minimum. Anything on top of that would be when a bargain, an inviting gamble, has become available.

Still, I'm hopeful of a decent season. I always am. It'll likely turn to shit at some point, and I'll fail to be entertained for the majority of it. Just got to hope that we get on a positive run early doors, and avoid injuries or any sustained runs of losses that quickly turn into crises.

Edited by Inochi

I've tried not to criticise the transfer policy too much since promotion. It's been the bare minimum, but it's been acceptable, not Ashley's worst crime by a long stretch and enough investment to match Everton and that.

As it stands we have a starting front 6 of...

Cabella

Sissoko

Tiote

Gouffran

S De Jong

Cisse

With places on the bench to come from...

Ben Arfa

Anita

Bigirimana

Marveaux

Gutierez

Obertan

Ameobi

Campbell

Armstrong

That's a far stronger second string than I thought we had this time last year. Perhaps a stronger starting selection too, if De Jong and Cabella do what you hope.

The problem with that front six is that not one of them is likely to get more than ten league goals in a season. One top quality striking addition could give it a very different look.

@martintrinder.

This guy seems worth a follow for transfer nufc news. Posted a few pictures of Cabella arriving and leaving yesterday as well as doing a selfie with him before it was official.

Has just tweeted to say he thinks Jamaat is on route to the ground.

The way I look at it, Cabella/De Jong is worse than Cabaye, Janmaat is worse than Debuchy and this Riviere lad is worse than Remy. The novelty of actually getting replacements shouldn't cloud that we'll be worse off.

The way I look at it, all those new signings are better for having not trained under Pardew for over a year. We'd lost 14 in 20. At least we'll get the bounce from their enthusiasm and endeavour which Pardew always benifits from and then saps from his players.

@martintrinder.

This guy seems worth a follow for transfer nufc news. Posted a few pictures of Cabella arriving and leaving yesterday as well as doing a selfie with him before it was official.

Has just tweeted to say he thinks Jamaat is on route to the ground.

:lol: He sounds like he needs to sort his life out tbh.

We've also got SDJ, HBA, RB and YG, all not quite midfielders not quite strikers. One senior striker, and no obvious replacement to replace the steel/range of passing that Cabaye gave us. The manager that wants people to track back has signed two midfielders that play higher up the pitch that Cabaye. I'm struggling to think who he'll play in the centre of the park. Also looks like we've brought in a replacement for HBA (still here) and still haven't replaced Ba. We're selling our best player for the second transfer window in a row. Oh and MYM looks like going, meaning we need a centre half. We'll probably just sign another midfielder with a cheap release clause to replace him though

It’s taken us a while to build and we’ve had to lose one or two great players along the way, Yohan Cabaye in particular, but we always knew that once this summer come, we could make a bigger step maybe.

“Hopefully that is reflected in performances, reflected hopefully in our fans, a belief in the team, and more importantly for the players that we’ve retained; Colo, Tiote, Tim Krul etc.

“We lack a bit of width which I hope he (Cabella) can provide, either side. He’s just got great talent on the ball and you can play him in three or four positions in the forward line.”

So that's us all sorted then there shouldn't be any excuses for not pushing on now fanks Al

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic