Paying Board

Christmas Tree

If she's working and living at home past school age, of course she should pay board - even if it's just a contribution towards food and utilities. It's not even worth a discussion…..

It's pretty simple - if she moved out, would she be able to cover all bills and food costs for £30 a week. The answer is no she wouldn't.

On that basis, your negotiating skill at knocking her down to £25 leaves a bit to be desired.

Leaving home, moving to London and not having enough money to live off was the best start to professional life imaginable for me.

I've got very little sympathy for the current generation saying 'we cant afford to buy a house so i wont move out of home'. Renting in London was expensive 15 years ago, buying was impossible for anyone on 20k a year.

On the other hand, why not stay in the family and live together all the time? Its narrowed horizons and if you do you cant complain if opportunities disappear but there is a lot to be said for staying at home. Personally a lot more ambitious than that and my parents would have driven me potty.

Leaving home, moving to London and not having enough money to live off was the best start to professional life imaginable for me.

I've got very little sympathy for the current generation saying 'we cant afford to buy a house so i wont move out of home'. Renting in London was expensive 15 years ago, buying was impossible for anyone on 20k a year.

On the other hand, why not stay in the family and live together all the time? Its narrowed horizons and if you do you cant complain if opportunities disappear but there is a lot to be said for staying at home. Personally a lot more ambitious than that and my parents would have driven me potty.

Agree with this. I left home at 18 and moved to Manchester for Uni. I lived in the nurses home and got a bursary of £300 per month. You learn to live by your means and I had no debt by the end of the 3 years. It definitely sets you up for later life I think.

And in answer to the original question - yes she should pay board! Is this the daughter who is a teacher?

Agree with this. I left home at 18 and moved to Manchester for Uni. I lived in the nurses home and got a bursary of £300 per month. You learn to live by your means and I had no debt by the end of the 3 years. It definitely sets you up for later life I think.

And in answer to the original question - yes she should pay board! Is this the daughter who is a teacher? 

Teaching assistant (talking about going to uni but needs a bomb under her!)

I think I'm partly hoping that a bit less money every month will give her that extra motivation to pull her finger out.

I think I'm partly hoping that a bit less money every month will give her that extra motivation to pull her finger out.

yet when she offered £30, she bartered her down to £25?

How will accruing 27k of debt for fees and having zero income for 3 years motivate her?