Uni advice

Christmas Tree

I can and will be googling this but thought I would ask here as well :)

2nd daughter packed her a levels in and when to college to do a two year child care course which she passed.

Since then has spent 18 months working as a TA in a primary school and has now decided she wants to do her teaching degree.

Uni website says 300 ucas points required but also something about other routes if you are 21 or over. (She is 21).

Will she have to do an access course and if so can these be done at night school (if such things still exist) or home learning course or would she need to pack her job in and do the course full time.

(Also, do we not have any teachers amongst us).

I can and will be googling this but thought I would ask here as well :)

2nd daughter packed her a levels in and when to college to do a two year child care course which she passed.

Since then has spent 18 months working as a TA in a primary school and has now decided she wants to do her teaching degree.

Uni website says 300 ucas points required but also something about other routes if you are 21 or over. (She is 21).

Will she have to do an access course and if so can these be done at night school (if such things still exist) or home learning course or would she need to pack her job in and do the course full time.

(Also, do we not have any teachers amongst us).

I think, but am not sure, teaching is a usually a full time 4 year course. I'm guessing that is a crippling amount of fees to pay as well? I know a few teachers but all did the PGCE route (1 year post graduate certificate). Most hated it and left after a few years. Not trying to put you off, but just pointing out this is a decision that your daughter really needs to think about it as its a big commitment. I'd check employment opportunities too because I think primary might be quite over subscribed.

I was under the impression that you needed a degree for PGCE but it is something that you can do later on - I have a cousin who didn't start till she was 26 and now she's a head of year at a good school.

A good mate of mine now teaches primary school and he went direct from his degree to PGCE. He was very dedicated from day zero and still is - so it's a very competitive market I guess.

Sounds like it's worth a shot anyway - especially with previous experience.

I think, but am not sure, teaching is a usually a full time 4 year course. I'm guessing that is a crippling amount of fees to pay as well? I know a few teachers but all did the PGCE route (1 year post graduate certificate). Most hated it and left after a few years. Not trying to put you off, but just pointing out this is a decision that your daughter really needs to think about it as its a big commitment. I'd check employment opportunities too because I think primary might be quite over subscribed.

3 year course and having worked in the environment for 18 months she's pretty sure about it (as much as anyone can be about how they want to toil for the next 50 years).

UCAS will let her know the crack if she rings up. It might take a while since they're as fucking useless as everyone else involved in organising University admin but they'll sort it.

Aye they're on the list as well. Been in touch with the course leader and uni admission staff who were hopeless.

Lots of stuff on the website about extra help for "mature" students with regard to entrance criteria but none of them know sweet FA

CT if your daughters hoping to make a start she may have to get a wriggle on as my daughter who's 19 has had 2 interviews the last 2 Wednesdays she's got her last one this week at Stockton on Tees for Durham uni she's hoping to do the same as your daughter by the sounds of things Primary Education BA Hons had 2 conditional offers (300 UCAS points CRB check thing 15 days placement oh and pass a basic maths & english exam they're booked in for February) I know my daughters slightly younger than yours but hope this helps.

CT my daughters just told me the cut off date for this year was 15th January mate.

I thought that you could still apply after that but that you'd end up in clearance? I remember applying and then changing my mind about what I wanted to do (initially Ancient History - then decided Chinese on an impulse :lol: )

Anyway they were fine with that - think I did that around March...