That pointless New Years resolution thing...

Park Life

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We always have quinoa cold in a salad. Cherry toms, cucumber, shallots, whatever and oil/balsamic. Dead simple and the dressing gives you a nice flavour. Good with a simple bit of chicken.

The only point in eating it is if you are doing a low carb diet otherwise eat something tasty.

I refuse to buy any meat, fish or veg from the supermarket. Best thing about living outside UK is the fact that supermarkets don't dominate food retail. I gave my butcher a Christmas pudding from M&S for Christmas and he gave me a proper Spanish ham knife for the belotta. You don't get that in Sainsbury's.

I'm going paleo. I've also been told that I'm being heavily tipped for Britain's Sexiest Male award.

:lol:

Seems fairly normal that diet, there is never any processed food of any description in out house. Plenty of salt though.

:lol:

Seems fairly normal that diet, there is never any processed food of any description in out house. Plenty of salt though.

Bit of a faff getting stuff like coconut oil, Palm sugar, coconut flour etc, but I suppose once you've got them, you've got them cos it's store cupboard stuff.

No bread or grains or dairy which I won't be able to stick to properly.

Britain's Sexiest Male elect is prepared to make some sacrifices, but warm milk before bedtime is not one of them.

Bit of a faff getting stuff like coconut oil, Palm sugar, coconut flour etc, but I suppose once you've got them, you've got them cos it's store cupboard stuff.

Britain's Sexiest Male elect is prepared to make some sacrifices, but warm milk before bedtime is not one of them.

Some Ovaltine, perhaps, herr Doctor?

Butchers, fishmongers, grocers selling good quality local produce. It's horrible how the supermarket has taken over Britain.

You can't compare Eng supermarket veg (kept in chillers for days) to the stuff you can source in Paris. Find eng supermarket veg very bland and colourless.

You can't compare Eng supermarket veg (kept in chillers for days) to the stuff you can source in Paris. Find eng supermarket veg very bland and colourless.

Really frustrating that while there are independent butchers and bakers round my way, there aren't independent grocers. All the veg is from supermarkets, most of it is shit.

Butchers, fishmongers, grocers selling good quality local produce. It's horrible how the supermarket has taken over Britain.

the death of the high street is a sad affair.

Really frustrating that while there are independent butchers and bakers round my way, there aren't independent grocers. All the veg is from supermarkets, most of it is shit.

No market nearby (or near work)? I have no reason to suspect that the veg from the one here is necessarily any better (though the range is surprisingly good for Lewisham), but when it's a quid for a scoop of peppers compared with 90p each at the supermarket, say... :dunno:

coconut oil is the bomb like. i've used it for years. blows a big whole int he myth the diet industry would have you believe about saturated fats too. naturally occuring saturated fat you get in coconut oil is good for you. i take it in my espresso at home sometimes.

cutting bread and dairy isn't impossible. not easy but there are alternatives. if you lose those two it's tough to lose grains too though

I'm not gonna stick to it that strictly tbh. No processed shit is the main goal, which I more or less do anyway.

December was shit though -loads of chocolate, crisps, cakes and pizzas - so just need to get back to making stuff from scratch and will incorporate the coconut oil and that.

On the menu plan this week is:

Spinach, aubergine and chickpea curry

Sweet potato and salmon frittata

Prawn Thai yellow curry

Asian glazed salmon with roast broccoli and asparagus

And for work lunches I'm making a load of lentil and vegetable soup (lentils aren't paleo, but fuck that. My lass only eats fish, no meat, so need to get protein from somewhere).

You know, in my experience this isn't true. The quality control for fruit/veg in the better supermarkets here is superior to any continental ones I've been in.

Not to say I don't agree the onslaught of chains in the Anglo Saxon countries isn't shit though. But, on the other hand, if you have a suburban working lifestyle its much more convenient to drive to a supermarket that sells everything. As long as its not Tesco or Asda.

I'm not gonna stick to it that strictly tbh. No processed shit is the main goal, which I more or less do anyway.

December was shit though -loads of chocolate, crisps, cakes and pizzas - so just need to get back to making stuff from scratch and will incorporate the coconut oil and that.

On the menu plan this week is:

Spinach, aubergine and chickpea curry

Sweet potato and salmon frittata

Prawn Thai yellow curry

Asian glazed salmon with roast broccoli and asparagus

And for work lunches I'm making a load of lentil and vegetable soup (lentils aren't paleo, but fuck that. My lass only eats fish, no meat, so need to get protein from somewhere).

That menu looks massive mate.

You know, in my experience this isn't true. The quality control for fruit/veg in the better supermarkets here is superior to any continental ones I've been in.

Not to say I don't agree the onslaught of chains in the Anglo Saxon countries isn't shit though. But, on the other hand, if you have a suburban working lifestyle its much more convenient to drive to a supermarket that sells everything. As long as its not Tesco or Asda.

Yeah it was a general comment. If you know what you're looking for and pick and choose your veg I'm sure it can be fine. :)

I have to say that when I lived in Paris back in the day - the veg from local farms in open air markets was very high quality. Honestly never tasted a tomato that good apart from in Italy.

20130412-223649.jpg?w=830

No market nearby (or near work)? I have no reason to suspect that the veg from the one here is necessarily any better (though the range is surprisingly good for Lewisham), but when it's a quid for a scoop of peppers compared with 90p each at the supermarket, say... :dunno:

There was a great market on Venn St each Saturday, but down here there's a roadside newsagents with a table, upon which there is an assortment of veg. Mmmm tasty tasty carbon monoxide veg.

No ta.